C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Corvette and Camaro? which one is better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
djllort
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Difference between Corvette and Camaro? which one is better?

Hi guys.. so being new at cars and all this, I have always wondered whats the big deal between these 2? I personally like the appearance of the Corvette a lot more... but which one is better? performance, price, overall? and which one would you rather get?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:53 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The following users liked this post:
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Camaro/Firebird is cheaper and seats four. But not a Corvette.
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:08 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by SDS Photography
LOL I was once told to never be ashamed of asking dumb questions
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

There are way too many obvious differences to even discuss here. It would take hours to type. Brakes. Suspension. Frame. Balance. Interior. Handling. The list goes on.

The interesting thing to note here is that a "regular" similar-vintage Camaro is generally more expensive than its corresponding Corvette. I'm talking year-to-year, condition-to-condition.

This is odd because the Corvette is (was) a more rare vehicle...far fewer of them were produced. And the Corvette has several CONSIDERABLY more sophisticated components than the Camaro even had the option of having. And that's not to mention the inherent balance that a Corvette has with its "mid-front engine" layout.

Yet, for some reason, I've found prices used Camaros/Firebirds to be rather insane.

Perhaps the Corvette has a stigma of being difficult to work on and expensive to maintain. Dunno. It's old. Yes, it's a little trickier, but there is a massive support network of parts and such. I haven't found it to be a big deal.

So:

Peformance: Corvette. No question.

Price: Oddly, Corvette. Shouldn't be cheaper, but it generally is.

Overall: Well...this is a Corvette forum. I think we've all made our choice clear.

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-12-2016 at 01:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by keithinspace:
djllort (05-12-2016), Yankeededandy (05-23-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djllort
LOL I was once told to never be ashamed of asking dumb questions
There are no dumb questions. Just perfect setups for Christmas Vacation gifs.

Last edited by SDS Photography; 05-12-2016 at 01:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SDS Photography:
djllort (05-12-2016), SciVette (05-24-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
There are way too many obvious differences to even discuss here. It would take hours to type. Brakes. Suspension. Frame. Balance. Interior. Handling. The list goes on.

The interesting thing to note here is that a "regular" similar-vintage Camaro is generally more expensive than its corresponding Corvette. I'm talking year-to-year, condition-to-condition.

This is odd because the Corvette is (was) a more rare vehicle...far fewer of them were produced. And the Corvette has several CONSIDERABLY more sophisticated components than the Camaro even had the option of having. And that's not to mention the inherent balance that a Corvette has with its "mid-front engine" layout.

Yet, for some reason, I've found prices used Camaros/Firebirds to be rather insane.

Perhaps the Corvette has a stigma of being difficult to work on and expensive to maintain. Dunno. It's old. Yes, it's a little trickier, but there is a massive support network of parts and such. I haven't found it to be a big deal.

So:

Overall: Well...this is a Corvette forum. I think we've all made our choice clear.
I think the Camaro has more nostalgic value for many people. The car they owned in high school, common mans car. Corvettes were generally for the wealthier buyers, have a bit of a stigma as a result? Insane prices for Mustangs, Firebirds, and Camaros are probably driven by older buyers wish to have the car they once owned many years ago or lusted for back in the day.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

For me it comes down to looks and then price. The 67/68 Camaro is a terrific looking car but as keithinspace said will generally cost you more than a third generation Corvette. For me I think I'd rather have the Corvette one reason being is that rust is less of a problem with a Corvette. If you like the looks of the Corvette a lot more then I think its no contest - get the Corvette.

Last edited by Priya; 05-12-2016 at 01:42 PM.
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on year vs year for example 1st gen and early 2nd gen camaros bring more money typically then similar year c3s. Later model 2nd gen are so cheap but even so a corvette will have the better value driving wise. Imo a c3 is stuck inbetween a muscle and a sports car while a camaro obviously a muscle car that can get up to par easily with a c3 due to the massive aftermarket. All in all I would stick to the corvette simply put I prefer the classic look/feel of the corvette more and in my mind the only American sports car
Old 05-12-2016, 01:49 PM
djllort
Advanced

So:

Awesome, thats exactly what I had noticed.. lol thats why I was wondering
Old 05-12-2016, 01:50 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
I think the Camaro has more nostalgic value for many people. The car they owned in high school, common mans car. Corvettes were generally for the wealthier buyers, have a bit of a stigma as a result? Insane prices for Mustangs, Firebirds, and Camaros are probably driven by older buyers wish to have the car they once owned many years ago or lusted for back in the day.
True.. not just anyone had a Corvette.. most movies always show kids those years with Camaros.. but who the heck owned a Corvette? never lol
Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by Priya
...rust is less of a problem with a Corvette.
Haaa, haaa, haaa, ha.

Ha, ha.

Ha.

Ha.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system...LESS of a problem, perhaps in some ways. I would certainly not put it as a small issue. Of the 'weaknesses' associated with the C3 Corvette, I would say that rust is still a player.

If you want, I could introduce you to my body mount tabs on my frame. Or to my birdcage. Or to my doglegs. I'm sure they'd each love to hear that rust is less of a problem.

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-12-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Default Difference between Corvette and Camaro? which one is better?

I've owned numerous Camaro's and as others have already stated you will get a lot more car for the money buying a similar Corvette. I also personally think it's easier to restore a Camaro.

Last edited by Iceaxe; 05-12-2016 at 01:54 PM.
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Haaa, haaa, haaa, ha.

Ha, ha.

Ha.

Ha.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system...LESS of a problem, perhaps in some ways. I would certainly not put it as a small issue. Of the 'weaknesses' associated with the C3 Corvette, I would say that rust is still a player.

If you want, I could introduce you to my body mount tabs on my frame. Or to my birdcage. Or to my doglegs. I'm sure they'd love to hear that rust is less of a problem.
I never said it was a small issue on a Corvette. And with many panels that can't rust on a Corvette that can rust on a Camaro rust is undeniably less of an issue on a Corvette. For me that is a major reason why I prefer my Corvette over any other muscle car.

Last edited by Priya; 05-12-2016 at 01:56 PM.
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 02:07 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Absolutely understand. God bless it. I just had to replace the rear subframe on my beater 2001 Subaru Outback because of rust. Stuff turned the entire carriage into swiss cheese. UNBELIEVABLE damage. Scary. I'll post a picture. And that doesn't include the once-already-repaired fender lips that are bubbling with cancer as we speak. Rust sucks. And body rust sucks even more.

Also, in the VERY general sense, Corvettes are not 'mistreated' the same way their Camaro brethren were. Camaros were "just cars" while the Corvette was something you aspired to and generally didn't use as a daily driver.

Yes, I don't disagree: There are some aspects related to rust on a Corvette that are less of an issue. And when I start doing bodywork on mine, I will remember this conversation and thank you very graciously.

Car-to-car, I completely agree with you. The body and uni-body rust on a Camaro can quickly turn a project car into a big pile of crap. Being as you don't have to worry about the body itself dissolving to nothing, there is much more "salvageability" in a Corvette with rust than a Camaro with rust.

I just had to laugh a little, is all. I have plenty of rust on my Corvette to go around.

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-12-2016 at 02:07 PM.
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 02:07 PM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Think about it why are camaro worth more, to keep it simple
supply and demand
Less nicer cars out there vs corvettes that were generally taken better care of.
Scrapped in 80-90s can't due that with fiberglass
djllort (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Get one of each and be done with it. I like the Camaro better. So does my grand daughter.

And I do have up close and personal knowledge of each as I did all the work on a total rebuild of each including paint.

Last edited by oledave60; 05-12-2016 at 02:25 PM.
djllort (05-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between Corvette and Camaro? which one is better?

Old 05-12-2016, 02:16 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by oledave60
Get one of each and be done with it. I like the Camaro better. So does my grand daughter.

very nice!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi d,
I don't think you can say "better"…. but certainly "different"!
In the 60s and very early 70s the Corvette was just expensive enough to be out of reach financially for many car guys.
It really took a pretty good job to be able to afford the payments on a new Corvette.
As someone who started by owning used cars in the early 60s a Corvette was something I only dreamed about. Later, in the late 60s they seemed even more special than the new SS and GTO that I could finally afford.
Once college and military service were in the past, and I had a real job, a Corvette could finally became a reality.
At that time their appearance and performance (even though that was starting it's decline) set them apart.
I think those are still the things that set it apart.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-12-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Yankeededandy (05-23-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

One important consideration is that the interior of the C3 is rather tight. I'm not a small woman and I find it a bit claustrophobic at times. I know the second and third generation Camaros are roomier and I'm not sure about the first generation Camaro but I'd think it'd be roomier on the inside as well.

Quick Reply: Difference between Corvette and Camaro? which one is better?