Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 differential noise

Old 06-12-2016, 09:42 PM
farrells vette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 differential noise

Has anyone had issues with roaring coming from the differential of a C7 stingray? I heard the noise from day one, now after 4500 miles the dealer says there is a problem. I had them haul it to the preferred service dept in Jackson MS. Hoping they will figure it out and not easter egg hunt it.

Popular Reply

08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Cargo
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Noise in rear end 2016 Corvette

We bought a 2016 Corvette. We have the same noise problem in the differential. Possibly in the left driver side wheel. We've had it back to the dealer 3 or 4 times. Unable to find the problem. Phoned General Motors. They said they were not aware of any problems with the differential- noises in the rear wheel. I am very frustrated with the car. Being a licenced mechanic I decided it was time to investigate the noise myself. I drove the car around in 3 tight circles one way and 3 the other way to find that the noise disappeared. The noise was back the next morning. What it did by driving the car in the circles was to force the oil in different directions in the differential. I then took the car back to the dealership and asked them to check the oil level in the differential. They found the oil level to be low. The mechanic filled the differential to where the oil started to come out the oil plug. They noise is gone. I had put 500 Kilometers on the car and the noise has never reappeared. But I am still concerned there may be possible damage to the differential from having run it so long (1,700 km) while low on oil.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:11 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have not, but i have heard and read on here that the Z51 has had some issues. Many came improperly filled from the factory and others have had some noise. If you use the search function ( go advanced ) you should be able to find some info on your question.
I am sure that more members will chime in shortly.
Welcome to the forum, lot a good people on here and many with huge amounts of knowledge that will help you...don't make me a lair, peeps.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:09 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Dropped off the vette last Monday for varies problems including a whining which seems to be from the differential. The corvette tech said it came from the rear end. He said if it only occurred in one gear, it's the trans but the whining appeared in multiple gears so it's the rear differential most likely. I'll let you know what they update me.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:01 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I have a noise on my base 2016 around 1500 RPM in any gear. Many think it is the AFM valves but I am not so sure. Dealer said it wasn't differential but I am not to condifent. Mine is a warble sound around 1500 RPM, goes away after U pass this point or if U accelerate through it. I have a post our there and a lot of others have same issue. GM says we are looking at the issue, we will C. I plan on taking mine to a bigger corvette dealer and let them have a look, started second day at 40 miles. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Mikiz51 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Cargo
3rd Gear

Default Noise in rear end 2016 Corvette

We bought a 2016 Corvette. We have the same noise problem in the differential. Possibly in the left driver side wheel. We've had it back to the dealer 3 or 4 times. Unable to find the problem. Phoned General Motors. They said they were not aware of any problems with the differential- noises in the rear wheel. I am very frustrated with the car. Being a licenced mechanic I decided it was time to investigate the noise myself. I drove the car around in 3 tight circles one way and 3 the other way to find that the noise disappeared. The noise was back the next morning. What it did by driving the car in the circles was to force the oil in different directions in the differential. I then took the car back to the dealership and asked them to check the oil level in the differential. They found the oil level to be low. The mechanic filled the differential to where the oil started to come out the oil plug. They noise is gone. I had put 500 Kilometers on the car and the noise has never reappeared. But I am still concerned there may be possible damage to the differential from having run it so long (1,700 km) while low on oil.
The following 6 users liked this post by Cargo:
alexsoo (08-17-2016), blkvet6 (03-19-2018), JimNeedsC7 (08-20-2016), Rebel Yell (08-17-2016), Scruff Vette (08-17-2016), Skid Row Joe (08-17-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Cargo
They found the oil level to be low. The mechanic filled the differential to where the oil started to come out the oil plug. They noise is gone. I had put 500 Kilometers on the car and the noise has never reappeared. But I am still concerned there may be possible damage to the differential from having run it so long (1,700 km) while low on oil.
Thanks for that info Cargo. Mine is quiet, but I was still thinking of having the dealer check the differential fluid in my '16 before we took off on a long road trip next month. Now I'll quit thinking, and have it checked just for my peace of mind.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 302 Posts

Rear end whine & noise has been a common problem is some 2016 Vetts. I have had one myself, 2016Z, rear end replace under warranty. You may need to find the right dealer to get it corrected. If the rear end has a wine, it will need to be replaced. Just in my area, I know of 4 Vettes that have the rear ends replace. There has also been cases of the rear end that was not full of lubricant, as mine was one of those, but found out too late. If the rear end is whining now, filling the lubricant will not help now.
VooDooRob (11-29-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

good for you finding the problem ...how the hell can be shipped low on differential fluid ! And why didn't the dealer check it ! GM should trace the employees responsible and fire their *** ! The dealers should have their tech's read this forum for training purposes...Good job to you !
Micster (11-28-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Do you know if that is the correct way to check and or refill of rear end. I have heard that it isn't like the olds to fill until it runs out. I have a warble type noise from rearend, dealer has changed my exhaust thinking that was the problem but it wasn't, now they tell me gm says change rear end. I want to check fluid first before rippong it out. What is the correct level, anyone know. Thanks
Old 08-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Cargo
3rd Gear

Default Problem Returns

UPDATE- The howl has returned. It is not as bad as it was and it is not every time we accelerate through 89-92 kph but it is still there. Have had the car back in for service. Yes, they hear the noise but have been unable (or unwilling) to deal with it. After numerous calls to GM they are still not acknowledging there is a problem with the 2016 Corvettes. I am sooo frustrated I feel like burning the car. Am going to take it to a different dealership for further investigation. No faith in local dealership anymore.

bjones7131- the correct level would be full to where it starts running out the fill hole. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:11 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

UPDATE- The howl has returned. It is not as bad as it was and it is not every time we accelerate through 89-92 kph but it is still there. Have had the car back in for service. Yes, they hear the noise but have been unable (or unwilling) to deal with it. After numerous calls to GM they are still not acknowledging there is a problem with the 2016 Corvettes. I am sooo frustrated I feel like burning the car. Am going to take it to a different dealership for further investigation. No faith in local dealership anymore.

bjones7131- the correct level would be full to where it starts running out the fill hole. Good luck.
feel for ya ... nice way to enjoy your car ... is there anything about this car that is NOT a problem ..and to make matters even worse GM cannot even fix it ... and based on my experience it's hit or miss with the repair shops... lots of money for headaches ...could it be that consumer reports was correct ...!
Old 08-20-2016, 03:01 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Guys I complained enough as well as others on my post "warble sound ocassionally" and myself and one other guy on my post from Kansas got a call from GM executive liasion after we shot the GM CEO an email complaining about our rear end making what I call a warble shound at or around 1500 RPM under light acceleration. My dealer has already changed the exhaust as directed by GM tech support but did not stop my noise. My dealer called and said GM eng. wanted me to bring my car in on 30th of this month and they were flying in with eqp to try and diagnose and fix my problem. They have ordered a new rear end but I will not let them install until they know that is the problem. The other guy from Kansas got the same call from GM eng indicating they would possibly be coming in next week with a team and eqp to diagnose and fix his vette. I hope they can find the issue and fix it. I have another guy who had a similar noise but I am not sure it is my problem that GM eng came in and determined it was the X pipe of all things. They had replaced his exhaust 2 times before replacing the X pipe. Try running your vette in Manual with the paddle shift only for a few miles and see if your noise goes away or pull the fuse that powers the afm valves and baffle valves, if you have the NPP feature and see if your noise goes away. This guy with the x pipe fix found that doing this eliminated his noise. What this does (driving in Manual mode) is eliminates the car from going into 4 cylinder mode, the AFM valves close off somewhat when in the 4 cylinder mode and it is supposed to keep the car from sounding like a honda, LOL. IF your noise goes away in the manual mode your problem MAY lie in the exhaust which is a somewhat easy fix. Not as bad as replacing tranny, TT or rearend. Check out my post if you want to follow our progress. Good luck
Gisela (01-06-2020)
Old 08-20-2016, 06:33 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

This is exactly what I am talking about. My 2005 corvette had a differential issue, My 2008 corvette had the same thing. They had to put a different fluid into it. So when I went to pick up my 2014 because I had heard they were having similar issues, I told my salesman to make sure they change or fix this issue before I even arrive to pick it up.

This is IMO unacceptable. You would think GM would figure out their crap with this cars rear differential .
Old 10-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Cargo
3rd Gear

Default The Saga Continues

The noise had returned. After a summer ruined by umpteen trips to the dealership 200km return- with no help from them just ongoing frustrations... "We hear the noise. The end." No follow up, no ideas on what to do, no help from GM... We think we have found something. I am a licensed mechanic and brainstormed with others.
We have removed the synthetic oil from the differential and replaced it with regular oil and an additive- Posi-slip? You can buy oil that already has it in it from Penzoil. The synthetic oil causes a buildup on the clutch discs which does not allow the clutches to work properly.
After changing the oil drive the vehicle in tight circles- 3 times one way and 3 times the other in order to clean off the the disc in the clutch pack.
Too much buildup may result in the clutches needing to be replaced. When the computer tells the breaks to engage on the faster wheel to slow it down the clutch pack does not let the tire slip to slow down because of the build up of synthetic oil on it and the noise in the back end left side is the result. This has been a problem with some trucks in the Ford lineup and a change in the oil was the fix.
We have just done the change and will follow up in a week to let you know if the noise has truly gone for good. DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL.
Feel free to post any questions to us. Will check in again in a few days.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

GM ENG. Went to penn. And did extensive testing on a base 2016 corvette with the warble rearend noise. They said multiple components were out of tolerance on drivetrain somewhere. They bought his car back and he ordered a new GS. He was encouraged not to get another base stingray fearing it may have same problem. They are taking his flawed car to Detroit to disect and try and find the problem and put out a TSB. look at my post on "OCCASIONAL WARBLE SOUND", a lot of info on this post if in fact you have the same rearend noise that i have. Three of us sent GM CEO an email and got calls from eng. and an executive liaison. This problem seems to have gotten a lot of attention. Hopefully when they get his car to Detroit and disect it and find the problem, a fix will follow. I may go the BBB lemon law route. Good luck guys.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:27 PM
trader1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rear end noise

I have 2016 z06. There is a rear end noise on slight acceleration at about 70mph. I took it to the dealer and they did not hear anything so I took the head tek out for a drive with me on the freeway. He herd the noise we than took out a new z06 to compare and found it had no noise. It has now been at the dealer for 3 weeks for a new diff. replacement.
This car also has a very annoying shutter at about 70mph also only at slight acceleration. Maybe related but UN likely I think it is a trans problem. My information center freezes up sometimes and I have to turn the car off to re boot it.
The pdr will on occasion lose the sound for play back. When I bought the car upon delivery we noticed the PDR was not working. UGG should have walked away than. It was 10pm and I went home and was to return in the next few days to fix it. The next day it just started working. Gremlins!
I need to say I love this car and it is by far the most exciting car I have ever driven and I have driven them all.
I had an 08 I bought new and put 140 thousand trouble free miles on it. That was a great car but does not hold a candle the the new on.
At this point I am most likely going to do a lemon law and get another one. I will up date this when it comes back from the dealer with the new differential.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Similar problem with the C6

There was a similar problem with the C6 differential which included a wrong receipe for the differential fluid and its additives.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 differential noise

Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by farrells vette
Has anyone had issues with roaring coming from the differential of a C7 stingray? I heard the noise from day one, now after 4500 miles the dealer says there is a problem. I had them haul it to the preferred service dept in Jackson MS. Hoping they will figure it out and not easter egg hunt it.
What model Stingray? Z51, non Z51
A8 or M7?
Month/year built?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2016 A8 with 14,000 miles. It has made this sound since it had less than a thousand miles. What I do to avoid the noise is drive it in paddle, and keep it in a lower gear and keep the rpm's a little higher. It seems to me that when its in auto mode it goes into 6th, 7th, and 8th to soon and the rpms are so low. When i do it in paddle no noise.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 PM
corvette-22
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

What exactly does this sound like in the cabin? Drone ? metal on metal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 differential noise