C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 AM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video

Here is a video of how I bled my 2016 Corvette Z06 after I installed my intercooler tank. I used the GSpeed intercooler override tool which it makes it much easier. It is also possible to do this without the tool, which I show later in the video. This method does require a $3 piece of 1" inside diameter vinyl tubing which will make a lot sense when you watch the video. The tubing is available from most hardware stores. The same process could probably be used for the ZR1, Camaro ZL1 and Cadillac CTSV.

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 08-18-2016 at 02:38 AM.
The following 16 users liked this post by LagunaSecaZ06:
Ahmed_otb (08-18-2016), BEZ06 (08-18-2016), BigVette427 (01-24-2021), BKorsaire (03-28-2019), Cajun @ Edgyvette (11-06-2016), DLC7 (08-18-2016), Fastmikefree (08-20-2016), GentleBen (08-18-2016), GSpeed (08-18-2016), mcoberly (08-18-2016), Mikec7z (07-10-2018), pantera/diablo (08-19-2016), racerx8 (08-18-2016), rogergcam (10-07-2018), rsilver (08-18-2016), The Yav (06-17-2017) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-18-2016, 08:53 PM
mcoberly
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome sweet video man!
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Have you noticed a difference? I had a huge amount of bubbles. Had the dealer vacuum fill it and hit the track again. Identical lap times to the tenth, identical top speeds. I honestly can't tell a difference. Either the stock pump cavitates on vacuum filled tank or it never cavitated.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 08-18-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:30 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Have you noticed a difference? I had a huge amount of bubbles. Had the dealer vacuum fill it and hit the track again. Identical lap times to the tenth, identical top speeds. I honestly can't tell a difference. Either the stock pump cavitates on vacuum filled tank or it never cavitated.
In your case you didn't have a problem, so there was no improvement. By getting yours vacuum filled you have the piece of mind. You could always still check it.

I had reduced power after I installed the aftermarket reservoir. I was able to bleed the system with the reservoir open and pouring coolant/water into the intercooler filler port. This was a little messy. When you pour the coolant into the filler port, it jump starts the coolant flowing. When I swapped out the tank for a revised version, I thought I purged it, but I had reduced power. At this time I had received the Gspeed override tool and figured out the vinyl tubing. It made a BIG difference having the intercooler purged the second time.

I think a couple different situations are happening to people on the forum and in the magazines. When Randy Pobst said "the Corvette is making no boost" I believe he mis-spoke. That Vette wasn't making power, because the ECM was pulling timing and the intercooler circuit was not purged and disconnected like Tadge said. The car was probably making boost. That car had two problems.

When someone says their car is going into limp mode, are they seeing it on the DIC? If they are, then that is due to overheated engine coolant. I think the tougher situation to identify is the underfilled/air pocket in the intercooler. You will not get a message or code. The ECM just thinks that IAT2 is too hot and just pulls timing. Your Z06 will still run 4th gear to 148, it just pulls slower.

Anyone that can bleed brakes has the technical knowledge to follow my video and check their intercooler system. The only part you have to buy is the vinyl tubing (1" inside diameter by 18"). If you run the engine at least 4 times, squeeze intercooler hoses when turned off to get additional bubbles out and make sure the level is as high possible when you turn the car off, you should be good to go. When the system is closed, you can run the car and squeeze the intercooler hose to feel if the coolant is flowing. The Gspeed tool does make the process easier and is reasonably priced. If you overfill the tube a siphon or turkey baster is helpful to remove the excess coolant without making a mess.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:02 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06

When someone says their car is going into limp mode, are they seeing it on the DIC? If they are, then that is due to overheated engine coolant. I think the tougher situation to identify is the underfilled/air pocket in the intercooler. You will not get a message or code. The ECM just thinks that IAT2 is too hot and just pulls timing. Your Z06 will still run 4th gear to 148, it just pulls slower.
This is 100% correct, and very difficult to trace!

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
LagunaSecaZ06 (12-21-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 12:48 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

How do you know how much fluid should be in the system?

When the level drops in the clear tube I would want to add more fluid.......so how do you know when the system is full?

Last edited by firstgear; 08-19-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:57 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Seems like there's still a huge bubble in the OEM reservoir which GM said caused cavitation.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:00 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Seems like there's still a huge bubble in the OEM reservoir which GM said caused cavitation.
Its very unfortunate that this system is as delicate as it is. To add insult to injury, there is no diagnostic information if you do have this issue
Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

In your case you didn't have a problem, so there was no improvement. By getting yours vacuum filled you have the piece of mind. You could always still check it.

I had reduced power after I installed the aftermarket reservoir. I was able to bleed the system with the reservoir open and pouring coolant/water into the intercooler filler port. This was a little messy. When you pour the coolant into the filler port, it jump starts the coolant flowing. When I swapped out the tank for a revised version, I thought I purged it, but I had reduced power. At this time I had received the Gspeed override tool and figured out the vinyl tubing. It made a BIG difference having the intercooler purged the second time.

I think a couple different situations are happening to people on the forum and in the magazines. When Randy Pobst said "the Corvette is making no boost" I believe he mis-spoke. That Vette wasn't making power, because the ECM was pulling timing and the intercooler circuit was not purged and disconnected like Tadge said. The car was probably making boost. That car had two problems.

Anyone that can bleed brakes has the technical knowledge to follow my video and check their intercooler system. The only part you have to buy is the vinyl tubing (1" inside diameter by 18"). If you run the engine at least 4 times, squeeze intercooler hoses when turned off to get additional bubbles out and make sure the level is as high possible when you turn the car off, you should be good to go. When the system is closed, you can run the car and squeeze the intercooler hose to feel if the coolant is flowing. The Gspeed tool does make the process easier and is reasonably priced. If you overfill the tube a siphon or turkey baster is helpful to remove the excess coolant without making a mess.
Randy Pobst's test is a good piece for research. We know from GM the intercooler circuit didn't work. We also know that Randy went around the track 5.5 seconds slower. So if the pump doesn't work one should see large swings in lap times. We can check his vmax on the straight as well: 139mph vs. 126mph, that is huge. You don't have to be a good driver to test vmax even if you lap times are poor and all over the place. However, this is a pulled plug issue, not pump cavitation per see, it just gives us an idea of the effects if the pump were to cavitate.

Outside of Randy's "DNF" lap we have two other documented events, yours and GSPEEDs but both use an aftermarket tank...

The tool is great, and the video is helpful. I just wish we would have some evidence that it is need for the stock setup.
NineVettes (09-18-2018)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Tadge said they check the Intercooler to see if it is bled properly.

Juechter explained it further stating, “One of our pre-loan checks is to bleed the intercooler circuit to make sure there is no air in it. Some customer complaints about overheating Z06s have been traced to improperly bled intercoolers. The technician doing the work plugged in the electrical connector for the intercooler pump and it seemed to seat and ‘click’ into position, but the secondary latching mechanism did not fully lock into position leading to intermittent operation.â€

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/10/...#ixzz4HnxJ8fFB

If your Z06 Intercooler circuit is running fine, then no worries. If you check your Z06 with the vinyl tubing you can verify it is Ok. If you don't use the vinyl tubing it will make a big mess and cause you to lose fluid. My video is the only visual way to verify a running non-cavitating pump on a stock car. You could squeeze the hose with car running, but the clear vinyl hose shows if coolant is aerated.

If you car is modified with an additional reservoir tank, then you open the top and see the fluid circulating.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:56 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Tadge said they check the Intercooler to see if it is bled properly.

Juechter explained it further stating, “One of our pre-loan checks is to bleed the intercooler circuit to make sure there is no air in it. Some customer complaints about overheating Z06s have been traced to improperly bled intercoolers. The technician doing the work plugged in the electrical connector for the intercooler pump and it seemed to seat and ‘click’ into position, but the secondary latching mechanism did not fully lock into position leading to intermittent operation.â€

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/10/...#ixzz4HnxJ8fFB

If your Z06 Intercooler circuit is running fine, then no worries. If you check your Z06 with the vinyl tubing you can verify it is Ok. If you don't use the vinyl tubing it will make a big mess and cause you to lose fluid. My video is the only visual way to verify a running non-cavitating pump on a stock car. You could squeeze the hose with car running, but the clear vinyl hose shows if coolant is aerated.

If you car is modified with an additional reservoir tank, then you open the top and see the fluid circulating.
I believe Tadge on some things and not on others. It depends on what the rest of our evidence shows.

Going forward I hope lots of folks get this adapter and hose and use your technique or a knowledgeable dealer to vacuum fill the system. But above all I want to see a comparison in vmax or graph the IAT2s before and after on a stock system.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:36 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

I believe Tadge on some things and not on others. It depends on what the rest of our evidence shows.

Going forward I hope lots of folks get this adapter and hose and use your technique or a knowledgeable dealer to vacuum fill the system. But above all I want to see a comparison in vmax or graph the IAT2s before and after on a stock system.

I understand its not "stock" but its stock enough for me to reconfigure the system- but we had pump shut down/insane IAT2 on operations stock Z with just the Dewitts heat exchanger. Stock everything else. I thought it was oil cooler limitation, not IAT2 related.

That was a stock system, upgraded HX only. Bled properly.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:43 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I keep checking this thread and I guess I am confused.... If sliding an 18" piece of tube over the fill port and cycling the pump (either via Gspeed's tool or running the motor) is all it takes to bleed the air out of the system, why was this ever an issue?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:45 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GSpeed
I understand its not "stock" but its stock enough for me to reconfigure the system- but we had pump shut down/insane IAT2 on operations stock Z with just the Dewitts heat exchanger. Stock everything else. I thought it was oil cooler limitation, not IAT2 related.

That was a stock system, upgraded HX only. Bled properly.
Ok then we should move forward the theory that the stock system can cavitate even if bled properly. That could explain why I see no effect after vacuum fill.

I really wish you guys came with an accessory/method to test whether the pump shuts down! I tried every PID people gave me on the forum and I still can't track IAT2s.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:10 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by firstgear
How do you know how much fluid should be in the system?

When the level drops in the clear tube I would want to add more fluid.......so how do you know when the system is full?
I know this is a dumb question.....but can someone provide an answer.....
Mikec7z (07-10-2018)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
I know this is a dumb question.....but can someone provide an answer.....
When the system is cold the coolant fluid level should come to the bottom of the coolant filler cap or very near the top of the tube the cap fits into.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
firstgear (08-20-2016), Mikec7z (07-10-2018)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Watching.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video

Old 08-20-2016, 08:36 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

You may be on to something there. I'd bet there's a reason why Callaway replaces the pump and reverses the flow in their cars. Wonder if that's also part of the 2017 solution for you 5 percenters.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 AM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for posting the video (and GSpeed for making the override switch). I've been wondering how properly bleed my system after installing the Granatelli tank. I've noticed no drop in power whatsoever but wanted to bleed the system any ways. I do hear the gurgles when I turn off the car. I also read a comment that the Granatelli tank sits higher than the supercharger core which I suppose minimizes/eliminates the need to bleed out the air.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

LagunaSecaZ06...........Thanks for the video. Why does GM say the system must be vacuumed to remove the air and that it can not be done via a gravity feed? Your system makes sense.

Quick Reply: Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video