C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a backup camera to factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
tanbir890
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding a backup camera to factory Navigation

I need to add a backup camera. I have seen few postings in several forums but didn't help much. Any ideas? How can I get a camera installed without having to replace my factory navigation and some ideas on costs??

Most important: is there any shop in New Jersey that does such modifications.

Thanks
Tanbir
Old 10-24-2016, 12:44 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

I researched it. Your head unit has to be internally modded. Its a pain.

Best to replace it with after market
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (02-04-2024)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tanbir890
I need to add a backup camera. I have seen few postings in several forums but didn't help much. Any ideas? How can I get a camera installed without having to replace my factory navigation and some ideas on costs??

Thanks
Tanbir

Checkout https://pearlauto.com/rearvision as it connects via wifi to your cell phone
or
this https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...avigation.html
Old 10-24-2016, 02:17 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
I researched it. Your head unit has to be internally modded. Its a pain.

Best to replace it with after market
and I don't think the mod to do it is even available anymore. There are no video inputs on the factory nav not to mention the resolution is so low that even with the mod to make it so would not give a picture quality with any decency.
If I really needed a backup camera I'd look for one with a small dedicated monitor.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 PM
tanbir890
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rhoyvald
Checkout https://pearlauto.com/rearvision as it connects via wifi to your cell phone
or
this https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...avigation.html

Thanks but I was reading on couple ofsites. If you have air bag indicator on the mirror then you can’t replace it.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Thanks but I was reading on couple ofsites. If you have air bag indicator on the mirror then you can’t replace it.
There was a system (lockpick 360) that would get the OEM Nav to provide an input for a BU camera, but it isn't sold anymore due to technical issues with the lockpick. Every now and then, one becomes available in the FS section, but costly.
In fact, I saw one not that long ago in the FS section.

I opted to install a separate monitor in place of the driver side vanity assembly. It's out of sight, easily dropped down when needed, and does the trick. i used my system for a front facing parking camera, but a BU camera can be added just as easily.

It's an option that I found worked for me, and the cost of the camera and monitor was under $40.00. I didn't personally use the vanity mirror much anyway

PM me for further details if required.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 10-26-2016 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ItsAVetteThing (04-01-2022)
Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

If you insist you could install one of these. http://www.navtool.com/CHEVROLET_CORVETTE_05-12.aspx You won't be happy. Aftermarket is the best option for camera additions. You should talk to Dennis here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-d-mods.html and ask for info on a new setup.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:48 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlAutomation
Hi Tanbir890,

Pearl Automation here. We recently launched in June of this year with our first product, RearVision, the only truly wireless backup camera and intelligent alert system, built around your mobile device: https://pearlauto.com/rearvision

It's solar powered, theft deterrent, and doesn't require drilling into your beautiful car.

Feel free to reach out with any questions; we look forward to assisting any way we can.

-Pearl Automation
That's really cool with the "peak around corners" feature but very $$$!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks
Tanbir

If you still looking, I had the upgrade done to line and works perfectly. They had to open the head unit and install it inside. The upgrade cost me 600$ not including the camera. I just had this done last summer and now turning my car into a full track car so I’m replacing the radio/ Nav with a lightweight screen only. Below is my link where it’s listed for sale here in the forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-upgrade.html
Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Tanbir

If you still looking, I had the upgrade done to mine and works perfectly. They had to open the head unit and install it inside. The upgrade cost me 600$ not including the camera. I just had this done last summer and now turning my car into a full track car so I’m replacing the radio/ Nav with a lightweight screen only. Below is my link where it’s listed for sale here in the forum. 310-357-3366 call or tex me if your interested

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-upgrade.html

Last edited by Socalconstruction1; 04-16-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:08 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Be cheaper just to get a aftermarket radio. You can get the rear view cameras for cheap and just plug it into the back of the radio.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EviLS7
Be cheaper just to get a aftermarket radio. You can get the rear view cameras for cheap and just plug it into the back of the radio.

Not sure an aftermarket would be any cheaper, I’m selling mine with the upgrade for 500$, and any buyer could easily sell their OEM deck for about 350$. A decent aftermarket deck is going to be 6-700$ plus an install kit that cost extra and it might not work with your steering wheel Bluetooth, and you still need to buy the camera.

Me personally, I liked the OEM headunit better than aftermarket, and that’s why I upgraded the OEM. Just cleaner to me. And the OEM sterio works with the OEM amp, and it’s rocks pretty good.

Last edited by Socalconstruction1; 04-17-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1

Not sure an aftermarket would be any cheaper, I’m selling mine with the upgrade for 500$, and any buyer could easily sell their OEM deck for about 350$. A decent aftermarket deck is going to be 6-700$ plus an install kit that cost extra and it might not work with your steering wheel Bluetooth, and you still need to buy the camera.

Me personally, I liked the OEM headunit better than aftermarket, and that’s why I upgraded the OEM. Just cleaner to me. And the OEM sterio works with the OEM amp, and it’s rocks pretty good.
My whole setup only cost me about $550 including the camera. You go to newegg or most electronic site like that and you can get the camera for cheap.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EviLS7
My whole setup only cost me about $550 including the camera. You go to newegg or most electronic site like that and you can get the camera for cheap.
Yeah you can always get some budget Pioneer, Jension, Pile or low end models of good brands for a head unit for cheap, with a free license plate mount camera hahaha. But I’m not that type of guy. I only buy the best stuff. I would only get Alpine or High end models of Clarion or Kenwood with Garnen GPS and a high end camera. And a custom flush mount as mine is shown in the pics, below the Lic plate.

To each their own.

Last edited by Socalconstruction1; 04-19-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM
EviLS7
Pro

For a camera I am only using to backup with a low light filter on it, I dont plan on spending more than $30 for. I could have got a flush mount, but I just bolted it right to where the holes come out by the license plate lights and works perfect.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:23 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

You guys know that this was a 2 year old thread right ??
Dave
Old 04-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dcasole
You guys know that this was a 2 year old thread right ??
Dave

Not anymore hahaha
Old 04-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1

Not anymore hahaha

Lol lol
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Adding a backup camera to factory Navigation