C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I remove/replace the SDM (Airbag Module)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Larryrice
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How do I remove/replace the SDM (Airbag Module)

I have a 1990 Corvette. The "infl rest" and the seat belt lights do not go out. I was told by the GM dealer to replace the SDM unit. That's that orange thing under the radio. HOW DO I GET IT REMOVED? It looks like that's the first thing the assembly plant installed before the dash, etc.
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Larry Rice
Old 11-28-2016, 07:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryrice
I have a 1990 Corvette. The "infl rest" and the seat belt lights do not go out. I was told by the GM dealer to replace the SDM unit. That's that orange thing under the radio. HOW DO I GET IT REMOVED? It looks like that's the first thing the assembly plant installed before the dash, etc.
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Larry Rice
There's much to check on a '90 before just doing the DERM/SDM - do you have a list of the faults for the SIR that caused their "suggestion". Not sayin that it's NOT the DERM/SDM but there's much to do before just doing it.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-28-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:35 PM
gmboileau
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacing the DERM is a big project. It has a number of wires going to sensors and power sources etc.

Careful diagnosing of the problem is really important. As WVZR-1 has suggested you need to know the fault codes before proceeding with any repair.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Larryrice
Advanced

It all started with my disassembly of the speedometer and hvac controls to have them repaired. That work is done, but now I have the infl-rest and seatbelt light issues. I disconnected the yellow connector to the airbag, but didn't put any load tool in the system during the repair process that took several days. I think that is what caused my dilemma. My Chilton's book doesn't provide any info on this project. It looks like the large plastic skeleton must be removed, or the metal supports, maybe from the passenger side, to get to the SDM. I don't get any trouble codes.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

It all started with my disassembly of the speedometer and hvac controls to have them repaired. That work is done, but now I have the infl-rest and seatbelt light issues. I disconnected the yellow connector to the airbag, but didn't put any load tool in the system during the repair process that took several days. I think that is what caused my dilemma. My Chilton's book doesn't provide any info on this project. It looks like the large plastic skeleton must be removed, or the metal supports, maybe from the passenger side, to get to the SDM. I don't get any trouble codes.
Who's done the diagnostics that you feel indicate that the DERM/SDM requires replacement/ There's diagnostics involved and there's known issues with grounds ec in the '90 SIR system sensors. Your Chilton I doubt helps much at all. Judging from your comments you don't have the HELM/GM FSM for the car. Do you?

Are you familiar with the GM TSB's for the '90 SIR? There's a few with very specific diagnostic procedures.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-30-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Larryrice
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Who's done the diagnostics that you feel indicate that the DERM/SDM requires replacement/ There's diagnostics involved and there's known issues with grounds ec in the '90 SIR system sensors. Your Chilton I doubt helps much at all. Judging from your comments you don't have the HELM/GM FSM for the car. Do you?

Are you familiar with the GM TSB's for the '90 SIR? There's a few with very specific diagnostic procedures.
The dealer suggested the cure to my problem. You are right, I am in the dark for doing any other diagnostic tests. The Chilton's book is little more than an idiot's manual. I think I will look for some bad ground wires if I can see where they are located. I could just put a happy face over the infl-rest light. (or remove it).
Old 11-30-2016, 11:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The dealer suggested the cure to my problem. You are right, I am in the dark for doing any other diagnostic tests. The Chilton's book is little more than an idiot's manual. I think I will look for some bad ground wires if I can see where they are located. I could just put a happy face over the infl-rest light. (or remove it).
If you're not concerned with the operation of the SIR you could likely just use a 2Ω resistor at the column base or top of column under the bag and put out both lights. It's much easier to do a resistor than to remove bulb(s). Resistor needs to be 2Ω and a 5% should work. You might try for a 1% but no greater than 5% and nothing other than 2Ω specific.
The following 2 users liked this post by WVZR-1:
Larryrice (11-30-2016), mcm95403 (01-25-2021)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Larryrice
Advanced

If you're not concerned with the operation of the SIR you could likely just use a 2Ω resistor at the column base or top of column under the bag and put out both lights. It's much easier to do a resistor than to remove bulb(s). Resistor needs to be 2Ω and a 5% should work. You might try for a 1% but no greater than 5% and nothing other than 2Ω specific.
I assume that the resistor is connected to each side of the air bag wires? In other words, this item puts a load on the air bag system, correct?
Thanks for your assistance.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:39 PM
brivette91
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this have to be a "power resistor" with high wattage or just a normal 1/2 watt resistor?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brivette91
Does this have to be a "power resistor" with high wattage or just a normal 1/2 watt resistor?
I'm quite sure mine are 1/4 watt or 1/2 but I have seen 5 watt also here in the C4 section mentioned.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

if you replace the resistor, you may put yourself in a bind if you ever sell the car or someone else ever drives it thinking the airbag is in working order and something happens and it doesn't deploy. Signing a waiver means nothing or letting new owner know. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...vised-561.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...990-corvettes/
Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

This is good information, I just didn't have a link to it. I know Gordon Killebrew and I talked about the problems with the 1990 SIR being problematic.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

All this talk about Resisters? If you could turn out the light with a resistor at the column base NOT RECOMMENDED the problem probably lies in a open in the airbag coil reel, it's a wire that goes up column and has a 1/2 a Dozen turns at the top to allow a direct link with airbag while turning the steering wheel.

to test is fairly easy disconnect the both ends upper (airbag)and lower column and do a continuity test.

Last edited by s carter; 05-25-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:46 AM
brivette91
Intermediate

I want to get the car through an inspection, I inherited this car and it was in an accident and just came back from body shop to repair the bent frame. Car was hit in left wheel drivers side. I have replaced both front sensors. I have replacement air bag. I do not want to connect it yet as I do not want it to blowup in my face. If you place a 2 ohm resistor across the airbag connection the light does go out as this simulates the load of the air bag. Also in reference to the above post it’s called a clockspring, mine tests fine so I do not have to replace it. I plan on keeping this car so I do not care if the airbag is connected or not. (Sentimental Value). Also this isn’t my first C4 it’s my 5th since 1994, not an expert but I know some.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Just to understand, was this not an insurance claim? If so they should have paid for repair. Did you but it back as salvage? Again, just trying to help. The clockspring is required to be replaced after driver airbag deployment , even if it tests good. Let us know the details and you will get all the help you need!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 PM
brivette91
Intermediate

No a relative that owned it passed away, it was given to me as I had corvettes in the past And i want to restore it, I have all new interior pieces. I’m going to send the steering wheel out to be rewrapped so I’ll replace the clockspring then.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brivette91
No a relative that owned it passed away, it was given to me as I had corvettes in the past And i want to restore it, I have all new interior pieces. I’m going to send the steering wheel out to be rewrapped so I’ll replace the clockspring then.
You joined a '90 thread and there's many differences SIR system.

Did you resolve the frame repair questions? Did that turn out to be something minimal like a broken engine mount?

SIR coil doesn't 'require' replacement on deployment. It generally was just because no insurance company could/would deny you 'if you asked'. It's often suffered heat damage and the '90 very seldom survived. Most often the connector was melted. '91 and later coils seemed to survive. It seems you understand the diagnostics.

Regarding 'legalities' - that's a very weak argument for any discussion. Do you trust a 27 year old SIR? I've seen people hurt badly from early deployments. He!! GM and others actually had order options where 'side curtains and anything other than steering wheel and occupant dash panel SIR' could be eliminated from the build. Many rental car companies got much flack regarding these builds not many years ago.

Driver SIR defeat - I see no issues and I've seen in Virginia cars with both bags deployed and 'cut away' pass safety inspection. I was shown one after an inspection by a VA Trooper at an Inspection Station where they wouldn't inspect and the owner called 'the law'. Is it still a valid law? No idea but this was in '97 for a car repaired less SIR (customer request) in a large collision shop. I had no part in it!!

I saw the car with SIR cut away and a valid VA inspection!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-25-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

You are wrong about legalities. Not going to debate it here but don't want anyone reading this thread and think otherwise. As far as rental companies ordering cars without side and head airbags, that's fine, they are not there but if they are there, someone is on the hook for them working and also not being replacement covers only.
This I am sure of. You cannot sign a liability waiver either, anyone who rides in the car in the future didn't sign the waiver, nor anyone you sell the car in the future to, plus anyone that drives the car now or anytime in the future (service shop, valet, etc) . The person who knowingly disabled the warning light to an SRS to appear working is on the hook until the car is crushed, even if they sold it years ago.

You joined a '90 thread and there's many differences SIR system.

Did you resolve the frame repair questions? Did that turn out to be something minimal like a broken engine mount?

SIR coil doesn't 'require' replacement on deployment. It generally was just because no insurance company could/would deny you 'if you asked'. It's often suffered heat damage and the '90 very seldom survived. Most often the connector was melted. '91 and later coils seemed to survive. It seems you understand the diagnostics.

Regarding 'legalities' - that's a very weak argument for any discussion. Do you trust a 27 year old SIR? I've seen people hurt badly from early deployments. He!! GM and others actually had order options where 'side curtains and anything other than steering wheel and occupant dash panel SIR' could be eliminated from the build. Many rental car companies got much flack regarding these builds not many years ago.

Driver SIR defeat - I see no issues and I've seen in Virginia cars with both bags deployed and 'cut away' pass safety inspection. I was shown one after an inspection by a VA Trooper at an Inspection Station where they wouldn't inspect and the owner called 'the law'. Is it still a valid law? No idea but this was in '97 for a car repaired less SIR (customer request) in a large collision shop. I had no part in it!!

I saw the car with SIR cut away and a valid VA inspection!!

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove/replace the SDM (Airbag Module)

Quick Reply: How do I remove/replace the SDM (Airbag Module)