C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve guide problems - LS3 vs LS7

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:57 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Valve guide problems - LS3 vs LS7

I've been contemplating a return to the Corvette family after selling my 2009 Z51, CRM, NPP, Gumbies, A6 last year to a Forum member. This time I'm looking to step up to a Z06 or possible a 427 convertible. In reading all the conversations about the valve guide problems with the LS7, I'm wondering why the LS3 doesn't seem to have the same level of issues. Can someone explain this to me.

Regards,

Pat Terry
Old 12-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Only thing I know is that GM stated that the 427 LS7 issue was from poor machining during production.

This did not concern the LS3 head work.

Also It seems to be more of a problem for the high rpm guys and usually shows itself early on.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:56 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I'm not sure about this either, but it could be in part due to the fact that the LS7has a 1.8:1 rocker ratio vs. the 1.7:1 ratio on the LS3 motors, which translates into faster lift and more total lift (for the same lobe profile) and, consequently, more friction and load on the guide.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ls7 has completely different head casting and design.
1.8 rockers
Larger 2 piece sodium filled exhaust valves
Larger more aggressive cam
Higher RPM

Combine all that, and LS7 is a recipe for disassater until it is fixed. Ls3s do wear guides, but the valves are much more robust so the odds of motor grenading is far lower.

That being said, it can happen on any car. My friends bone stock <10k mile ZL1 camaro with a LSA dropped a valve.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Chad97z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any VIN numbers or head markings that can identify those that had bad machining per this article?
Like which Plant?

Corvette Owners: LS7 Engine Problems and the 'Wiggle Test'

https://www.thoughtco.com/ls7-engine...le-test-916184

Last edited by Chad97z; 11-20-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

LS3 is good to go.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I just read the article. How would worn valve guide activate the CEL? (mentioned towards the end of the article).
Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Chad97z
Advanced

I dont know. Maybe increased oil consumption. And if it is burning extra oil, it may set a code.

But, I'm more interested in identifying which corvettes were made at the Plant that had bad machining..
I'm looking at a z06.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

That article does not tell anywhere near the whole story. While the problem with the incorrectly machined LS7 heads is true, there is more to the issue. There are plenty of LS7 valve failures that have heads that were perfectly machined. Some people think that it is a combination of incompatible materials in the valve guides and the titanium valves. Some of the sodium filled exhaust valves did not have the proper amount of sodium in them which did not allow proper cooling of those valves, accelerating the wear. Improper surface coating smoothness on some of the valves which accelerated wear on the guides, and hollow sodium filled valves that had inconsistent wall thickness. Add to that the fact that half the rockers have an offset (intake valves, I think) which will put more side loading on those valves, a 1.8 rocker ratio which again puts more side stress on the valves and guides. I think at minimum GM should have gone with a roller tip rocker to alleviate some of the side loading.

My thinking is that if I were interested in an Z06, or any car with an LS7, I would want documentation that the heads were checked and in spec. I would also set up a regular schedule of checking the heads/valves/guides every several thousand miles (maybe at every oil change) to make sure everything was okay.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Chad97z
I dont know. Maybe increased oil consumption. And if it is burning extra oil, it may set a code.

But, I'm more interested in identifying which corvettes were made at the Plant that had bad machining..
I'm looking at a z06.
IIRC, all LS7 heads were machined at the same subcontracted company. Supposedly, a fixturing error was responsible for the initial few years of production, but even some of the heads that were "fixed" have failed a second time. Personally, I believe the dry sump system that was designed for track use, has played a big part in the failures, by extending the warmup time beyond the normal usage of the everyday casual Z06 driver.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
That article does not tell anywhere near the whole story. While the problem with the incorrectly machined LS7 heads is true, there is more to the issue. There are plenty of LS7 valve failures that have heads that were perfectly machined. Some people think that it is a combination of incompatible materials in the valve guides and the titanium valves. Some of the sodium filled exhaust valves did not have the proper amount of sodium in them which did not allow proper cooling of those valves, accelerating the wear. Improper surface coating smoothness on some of the valves which accelerated wear on the guides, and hollow sodium filled valves that had inconsistent wall thickness. Add to that the fact that half the rockers have an offset (intake valves, I think) which will put more side loading on those valves, a 1.8 rocker ratio which again puts more side stress on the valves and guides. I think at minimum GM should have gone with a roller tip rocker to alleviate some of the side loading.

My thinking is that if I were interested in an Z06, or any car with an LS7, I would want documentation that the heads were checked and in spec. I would also set up a regular schedule of checking the heads/valves/guides every several thousand miles (maybe at every oil change) to make sure everything was okay.
That article is just plain crap.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

If the heads were done by a contractor, then what was all that touchy-feelie stuff when GM promoted that each ls7 had it's own engineer/mechanic and they even put their name on it.. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, dont it you? Haha
Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

ok I will make sure and search "good information" and "no lies" next time.. I'm sure that will weed out the wrong stuff. Is it labeled? "misinformation".
Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

If the heads were done by a contractor, then what was all that touchy-feelie stuff when GM promoted that each ls7 had it's own engineer/mechanic and they even put their name on it.. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, dont it you? Haha
Don't confuse yourself by thinking that the final engine assembly work done in the Wixom plant, was the same place and the same people that did the forgings, the machining, the pre-assembly, and a host of other operations. Do a little research before you make dumb comments.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

As a final assembler, and having your name placed on a Engine, I would think the guy should have checked everything over.. Tolerances and everything.. So maybe you should thinking about it... And what the hell do you know? Do you work for GM? The heads were not machined properly. That is proven. They should have been checked over by the assembler or whoever was the QA person. Boom. Done.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Don't confuse yourself by thinking that the final engine assembly work done in the Wixom plant, was the same place and the same people that did the forgings, the machining, the pre-assembly, and a host of other operations. Do a little research before you make dumb comments.

Last edited by Chad97z; 11-20-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

some people JUST DON'T GET IT
Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

As a final assembler, and having your name placed on a Engine, I would think the guy should have checked everything over.. Tolerances and everything.. So maybe you should thinking about it... And what the hell do you know? Do you work for GM? The heads were not machined properly. That is proven. They should have been checked over by the assembler or whoever was the QA person. Boom. Done.
You obviously know nothing about manufacturing protocol, certifications, or quality control specifications and requirements. Go buy your Z06 and take it to car shows where the unknowing can suck up any BS you utter. The dealer will be happy to see you and your wallet for anything you need.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve guide problems - LS3 vs LS7

Quick Reply: Valve guide problems - LS3 vs LS7