Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
Default 2017 Grand Sport Collector Edition Owners Registry

It has been over a year now since the beginning of the Grand Sport Collector Edition (GSCE) Owners Registry thread here on the Corvette Forums. In that time there have been over 1600 posts made and a tremendous amount of information shared. I thought it would be good to revise this master post to provide some more general information about the GSCE and try to create an index for the thread to make it easier to find things! As always, if you have any feedback, please post or send me a message.

Information about Registry and this thread

REGISTRY
This all started when I was getting my car and I thought it would be interesting to track all of the cars in this Collector Edition. Figured it would be helpful for finding cars, seeing what modifications people were doing and just general interesting data. To better track things I decided to start putting the data into a Google Sheet for reference.
I'm the only one that can edit the Google Sheet, please let me know if you have any issues accessing the Google Sheet or if there are any corrections needed.

I've set up filters on the sheet so it can be sorted/viewed in different ways. Look for the filter icon up in the top left and it will give you some choices of views. Please also check out the other tabs of the spreadsheet for additional information about the GSCE

2017 Corvette Grand Sport Collectors Edition Registry (Link to Google Sheet)

THREAD
This is a very long thread, please try and help to keep things clean
  • Before posting to this thread, please do try to search and see if your answers are already here.
  • If replying to a post, please try to edit out photos or non-relevant content to keep the posts from being overly long.
  • If you are posting info about your car, please include your city/state and the # of your car so the registry can be updated.
  • If you purchased yours used, please share what you paid for it and the mileage, this will help us track values of the cars over time
Besides this “registry” / thread, you may also be interested in;
  • Grand Sport Collector Edition Facebook Group started by Bill Esicar
  • The official Grand Sport Registry which has its own forums and email list for their members.
GSCE Information
The Collector Edition was based on the 2017 Grand Sport and required a 3LT trim package. It could be ordered as a coupe or convertible with an 8-speed automatic or a 7-speed manual transmission. It was identified by the $4,995 Z25 option code which added the following components that make up the Collector Edition;
  • Watkins Glen Gray (G7Q) exterior color with Tension Blue Hash Marks (20A) and Satin Black Grand Sport Center Stripe Package (DUR)
  • Two-tone Tension Blue leather seating surfaces with sueded microfiber inserts (246)
  • Blue custom leather stitch (37S)
  • Collectors Edition Sill plates (BE8)
  • Premium carpeted floor mats with Grand Sport logo, LPO, interior brushed aluminum hash marks and seat and steering wheel emblems (VYW)
  • Carbon Flash Badge Package (EYT)
  • Grand Sport black aluminum CUP-style wheels, 19" front/20" rear (Q8X)
  • Carbon fiber instrument panel trim (FAY)
  • Numbered plaque (CFY)
  • Some other options, including the Z07 performance package, ground effects and others could be added to the cars factory configuration.
Pricing
Base model MSRP ($USD) pricing is listed below. As mentioned, other options could be added which would drive the MSRP up. MSRP's ranged from the base numbers up to the most expensive one listed at $110,830 which happened to be car #001.
  • Coupe Manual = $81,185
  • Coupe Automatic = $82,910
  • Convertible Manual = $85,185
  • Convertible Automatic = $86,910
Production
The Collector Edition was only available during the 2017 Model Year. Actual production went from September 2016 through May 2017. The first production car was invoiced on September 23, 2016 and the final car produced (#940) was invoiced on May 25, 2017. Only six were made in September 2016, the next cars that were produced had invoice dates in November, none in October. On average, 9.3 Collector Editions were built per production day with a peak of 26 being built in one day (November 22, 2016).

Final released production numbers for the Collector Edition are shown below. A more detailed view of production, options per vehicle, etc. can be found on the Statistics – Configuration tab of the GSCE Registry Google Sheet.

Notable vehicles
GENEVA PROTOTYPE
The car that was shown at the 2016 Geneva Auto Show looked like a production Grand Sport Collector Edition but in fact it was not (more info in this post). This particular car was used at many public showings of the car, including at the Barrett-Jackson Auction of the first production car, but it is not the first production car. Essentially this was a prototype vehicle and there are at least two visible differences that have been noted between it and the real production vehicles:
  • The dash badge shows the sequence number as 0001/1000. The production vehicles only show the sequence number
  • The production sill plates that say Grand Sport is not really colored the way it shows in that vehicle, there is no blue in the production version

FIRST AND LAST VEHICLES
The first production Collector Edition was sold at a Barrett-Jackson Auction for $170,000. This was a charity auction benefiting the Karmanos Cancer Institute. The winning bidder was David Flynn from Columbiana Ohio who also owns the first retail Cadillac ATS. This was the most expensive optioned vehicle produced with an $110,830 MSRP. It is a convertible Automatic coupe with the Z07 performance package (among other things).

The final production vehicle is #940, a 7-speed manual coupe. It was museum delivered and had an MSRP of $94,265 and is rumored to have been sold to a GM employee.

MISSING CARS
The Collector Edition cars have a sequential VIN as mentioned above. The last car produced was #940 but the production figures show that 935 cars were built. The reason there is a difference in these numbers is that five cars were never built.
Cars that would have been numbered 246-250 were in fact put into the system as ordered, but were not built. Through some research it was discovered that these cars were put into the system, but the factory did not build them due to some "production issues". The orders were subsequently completed to fulfill delivery but they were different numbered cars (evidence of later numbered cars with the exact build configuration and delivery destinations was found). This information was verified through sources at GM.

MUSEUM DELIVERY
There were a total of 12 cars that had the $990 R8C Museum Delivery option on the original order. This option allowed the owner to pick up the car at the National Corvette Museum. The cars that had this option are identified in the Grand Sport Collector Edition Registry as numbers 006, 029, 036, 043, 052, 083, 229, 230, 232, 456, 623 and 940.

RAFFLE CARS
There were three Collector Edition vehicles that were raffled off as prizes.
003 - National Corvette Museum raffle
This car was originally a GM owned vehicle. It is unknown at this time as to what this particular vehicle was used for, but once that was completed it was donated to the National Corvette Museum which subsequently raffled the car off as one of their regularly held raffles. The raffle was held on April 28, 2017 and was won by Duane Evans. Raffle tickets were $200 each.
043 - National Corvette Museum raffle
This was the first Collector Edition given away by the National Corvette Museum. Tickets were $250 each and the raffle was held on January 12, 2017. The winner was Ken Pauley.
588 - Jeff Gordon raffle
Every year, race car driver Jeff Gordon raffles a Corvette owned by him to benefit his Childhood Cancer Research Foundation. In 2017, the car was a Grand Sport Collector Edition, car #588. The winner was drawn in August 2017, won by Joe Smith from Absecon, New Jersey.

GM OWNED VEHICLES
The Grand Sport Collector Edition Registry shows twelve cars that are/were GM owned vehicles. Two are Canadian and the rest had destinations in the United States. One is confirmed to have already transferred to public ownership, that was car #003 which was raffled off by the National Corvette Museum. The GM owned cars are numbers; 002, 004, 005, 007, 024, 465, 691, 699, 768, 785 and 888.

TRACK CARS
Two vehicles are currently known to be owned and used on a commercial track. Car #861 and #876 were used at the Ron Fellow's Spring Mountain track in Pahrump, NV.

NOTABLE PEOPLE
  • 444 - Archie Hamilton: hamilton is a British race car driver and had published YouTube videos of his car, including modifications that were made to it. He also published a video on July 16, 2017 stating that he sold the car to business man and muscle car enthusiast Mo Imtiaz, who also owns a 2016 Custom S550 Mustang, a custom 1967 Mustang Fastback, a custom 2012 Camaro SS.
  • 588 - Jeff Gordon: Car was titled as his vehicle and given away in an August 2017 raffle to Joe Smith from Absecon, New Jersey[7]
UNIQUE CARS
  • Factory Yellow Calipers: There were four cars that came from the factory with yellow painted calipers, all four were coupes. One has been nicknamed the beast due to its uniqueness and sequence number, #666. The cars are #206, 253, 666 and 675.
  • There were only 7 Convertible / Manual Transmission cars with the Z07 package
  • There were 4 cars that had factory ordered Red Safety Belts (3F9)
  • There were 3 cars that were ordered with the Customer Selectable VIN (PIN)
  • The most expensive factory optioned coupe is #733 with a MSRP of $102,540
  • The most expensive factory optioned convertible is #001 as mentioned above.
Thread Index

APPEARANCE MODIFICATIONS

Tension blue pinstripe on wheels (click to read post)
Rear spoiler and brake duct inlet tension blue (click to read post)
XPel Paint Protection Film (photos of edges) (click to read post)
Watkins Glen Gray / Son of a Gun Gray Paint Touch Up Codes (139X, G7Q, WA139X) - GM (19330248) (click to read post)
Blue Vinyl Colors that match Tension Blue - Oracle Asure Blue #052 (click to read post)
Tension Blue Powder Coated Calipers (click to read post)
Blue Wheel Bands, Side Badging, Sill Badging and Front/Rear Emblem (all hand done w/vinyl) and clear Z06 taillights (click to read post)
Z06 Chrome wheels (click to read post)
Custom engraved / painted license plate frame (click to read post)
AlloyGators Blue Sky Wheel Guards (click to read post)
Blue Jake on hood, Blue 28 Grand Sport on rear-deck and blue lights in front inlets (click to read post)
Info on factory spoiler options (click to read post)
Blue Grand Sport front windshield sticker (click to read post)
Bike Rack (click to read post)
Blue hood vents (click to read post)
Blue Grand Sport Vinyl Front Fender Vent Overlays from corvettemods.com (click to read post)
(link to CorvetteMods)
Video of Archie Hamilton mods made to his car before he sold it (click to read post)
Carbon Fiber fuel rail / plenum covers with Grand Sport Logo (click to read post)
Blue Accent Stripe along center stripe (click to read post)
Custom painted plenum cover (click to read post)
Smoked rear reflectors (click to read post)
Carbon Fiber Hood Vent (click to read post)
Black & Chrome wheels (click to read post)
Fuse block cover airbrushed (click to read post)
Blue Sill Plate Vinyl Overlays (click to read post)
Plenum / fuel / coil / fuse covers custom painted (click to read post)
Wheel Striping Kits (click to read post)
Tension Blue tonneau cover inserts, RimPro-Tec wheel bands, underhood painted items (click to read post)
Blue tire lettering (click to read post)
Stage 3 rear center wicker (and other mods already listed) (click to read post)
GSCE Visor Decal (click to read post)

MEMORABILIA / SOUVENIRS

Mint Models 1:18 Scale Model (also available from the Corvette Museum) (click to read post)
Maisto 1:24 Scale Model (click to read post)
GT Spirit / Maisto Scale Model Comparison (click to read post)
GT Spirit / Maisto / Auto Art Scale Model Comparison (click to read post)
Indoor Car Covers (a few posts in a row, starting with the one below) (click to read post)
Replacement interior parts in Tension Blue from Forum Vendor Trunk Monkey Parts (click to read post)
Walmart notebooks, pocket folders (click to read post)
Grand Sport Art Print from NCM (click to read post)
Custom Embroidery (shirts/hats) (click to read post)
Custom Artwork (click to read post)
GSCE Hat (click to read post)
T-Shirts and other “cartoon” versions of the car (click to read post)

OTHER INFO / FACTS

“Mystery” about Car #001 (click to read post)
Differences in Sill Plates on the prototype vs production GSCE’s (click to read post)
Gas Tank Issue / GM Letter (click to read post)

Last edited by mountainears; 07-23-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Removed the map view of the registry
The following 8 users liked this post by mountainears:
Autobot_C7 (06-11-2020), eamespm (01-18-2021), gvpiii (07-11-2022), H Watkins (01-06-2019), jon c (08-01-2023), MrBrightside (11-12-2018), the solution (02-26-2017), Thunder80 (02-05-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

01-25-2017, 06:31 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
^^^ mdiiulio just post some pictures of your avatar blown up and we will be happy with the pictures!
Ok but just one

Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Karson1
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Hello, number 26 here, located in New Carlisle, IN. Loving the car, took delivery 11.26, but she's all tucked away sleeping for the winter hibernation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Karson1:
CorvetteGSCE (04-14-2017), Ron_Attleboro_MA (01-17-2023)
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

The following 2 users liked this post by mdiiulio:
Mgraves (06-07-2017), Ron_Attleboro_MA (01-17-2023)
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

^^^ mdiiulio just post some pictures of your avatar blown up and we will be happy with the pictures!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-24-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Until I'm able to take delivery of mine on Feb 9th, the only picture I can provide is the NCM Delivery 9 Webcam where it currently sits!!!

Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by mountainears:
Atomic UK (05-30-2020), JasonInTexas (08-21-2022)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,751 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Just before this thread gets too large.....I'm envious of all of you.

The following users liked this post:
JasonInTexas (08-21-2022)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:05 PM
ttay3
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Just before this thread gets too large.....I'm envious of all of you.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Skippydoo
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by steven bell
just before this thread gets too large.....i'm envious of all of you.

x2.....
Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

I LOVE the special edition GS, and I love the blue interior.

If it wasn't so god awful expensive for a GS, I would own it in a heart beat.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:31 PM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

#006 here, located in southern IL...
The following 6 users liked this post by john m:
brixtonforged (02-09-2017), JasonInTexas (08-21-2022), Jedi-Jurist (05-21-2017), jimmie jam (07-15-2018), jon c (08-05-2023), steedrey (01-16-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by mountainears
Until I'm able to take delivery of mine on Feb 9th, the only picture I can provide is the NCM Delivery 9 Webcam where it currently sits!!!

Congrats! You won that car in an NCM Raffle didn't you?

BJ
Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,751 Likes on 3,173 Posts

first i'd like to say that if I had the choice when i purchased mine to grab one for the same price as my almost 100k Z06 it would have been hard for me to turn it down! I love that car...

John M, your convertible is absolutely insane..

OP, you should start a list in your POST and start in number order with forum member name next to the number..

very cool idea, hopefully they make it a "sticky"

some pics i grabbed at carlisle this year. car was SWAMPED these were the best i could get lol
Attached Images    
mountainears (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OVERULD
Congrats! You won that car in an NCM Raffle didn't you?

BJ
Yep, that one is mine, still in shock and sleep will suck until Feb 9th when I pick it up!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I really wanted one, but it was $10k over a GS I built and ordered... seemed like a lot for the blue, which I do love
Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I've updated the OP to make it more of a registry and included some facts which I'll update as I collect more. Is that what you were kind of thinking? How does one get a post made a sticky?

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
first i'd like to say that if I had the choice when i purchased mine to grab one for the same price as my almost 100k Z06 it would have been hard for me to turn it down! I love that car...

John M, your convertible is absolutely insane..

OP, you should start a list in your POST and start in number order with forum member name next to the number..

very cool idea, hopefully they make it a "sticky"

some pics i grabbed at carlisle this year. car was SWAMPED these were the best i could get lol
Old 01-25-2017, 10:23 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

John, I've updated the original post with some facts about the series. I know the coupe VIN ends in 5300XXXX, can you confirm what the convertible VIN sequence looks like? I'm thinking it likely is the same but want to confirm as I've seen reference to other collectors series where the convertible had a different series, but the circumstances were different I think.

Originally Posted by john m
Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Never mind on the VIN question, found one for sale and confirmed it is the same series number on the vert vs coupe.

Did you get the Z07 package on yours?

Originally Posted by john m

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:29 PM
USCVETTEMAN
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, in order to buy the GS, I sold my 2016 ZO6/ZO7, 7 SP. This was necessary due to just having a total right knee replacement on 12/5. My Doctor told me it was time to get a automatic. So on 12/17 the dealer delivered my Collector Edition. The car was produced the 3rd week in November, and is VIN # 093, it lives in Long Beach, Ca. My only problem at the moment is, with my recent surgery, I have yet to drive the car. The Doctor tells me he will release me on 2/15. So at the moment , I just stand and stare at it, she is beautiful.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:31 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Ok but just one

The following 10 users liked this post by mdiiulio:
1ccrider (07-16-2018), Bandman! (02-09-2020), Bayshore Vette (12-08-2021), blkvet6 (02-09-2017), Bosscobra (02-25-2017), djnice (03-22-2017), gottaz51 (02-21-2017), JasonInTexas (08-21-2022), Maxie2U (12-28-2018), TensionC7 (01-29-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-25-2017, 06:34 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Sorry about your knee, I'm not far behind you I think, 4 knee operations across both knees over the years its just a matter of time!

Please post pics of yours when you get a chance! I've added you to the registry spreadsheet, can you confirm some details?
Coupe or vert?
Z07 equipped?

Ken

Originally Posted by USCVETTEMAN
Hello, in order to buy the GS, I sold my 2016 ZO6/ZO7, 7 SP. This was necessary due to just having a total right knee replacement on 12/5. My Doctor told me it was time to get a automatic. So on 12/17 the dealer delivered my Collector Edition. The car was produced the 3rd week in November, and is VIN # 093, it lives in Long Beach, Ca. My only problem at the moment is, with my recent surgery, I have yet to drive the car. The Doctor tells me he will release me on 2/15. So at the moment , I just stand and stare at it, she is beautiful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport Collectors Edition Owners Thread