C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Deadening Project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:08 PM
RUMBL B
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sound Deadening Project.

So I just landed a new job, and in a week i'll be driving 1.5 hours each way to work in my C6. I love it! I love the car! I hate the drone! I purchased the car about a year ago with several mods done to it (Solid roller cam, Halltech intake and Borla exhaust). After researching a whole bunch of forum posts, I have chosen my materials and started the project 2 days ago.

I am going with Noico 80 mil (72 sq ft) and TKO Performance BlockIt sound deadening mats.

I purchased the Noico mat using Amazon Prime. It was suppose to have arrived today... but didn't. Hopefully it's delivered tomorrow.

I pulled most of the plastic molding and carpet up, along with the passenger seat in preparation for a better install.
Attached Images     
The following 2 users liked this post by RUMBL B:
2017foty (03-23-2021), TKO Performance (02-06-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Good luck. I am interested to see your progress. I have completed my rear cargo area and both door panels. I was amazed at the sound from my door speakers after I completed the doors. Will be pulling out the rest of the interior in early April. Planned on doing it sooner but sh%# happens!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 04-03-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I did mine several years ago, but I used the pipe wrap from Home Depot. I did not pull any plastic, only the carpet. I took a large socket in the rear the push the insulation down in the grooves. Took me less than a day to do the whole car less door panels. I did the whole console, behind the seats, and the entire rear of the car. Take your time. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:26 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Good
choice in materials. This will help with road noise and make the car seem a bit more solid. I used the Noico 50 mil and doubled it in some areas. I also pulled the inner fenders in the rear and lined it with material. With my NPP valves open, it is still noisy. You may need quieter mufflers or put an NPP system on it and run with the valves closed or just slightly open. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by montman; 02-04-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RUMBL B
So I just landed a new job, and in a week i'll be driving 1.5 hours each way to work in my C6. I love it! I love the car! I hate the drone! I purchased the car about a year ago with several mods done to it (Solid roller cam, Halltech intake and Borla exhaust). After researching a whole bunch of forum posts, I have chosen my materials and started the project 2 days ago.

I am going with Noico 80 mil (72 sq ft) and TKO Performance BlockIt sound deadening mats.

I purchased the Noico mat using Amazon Prime. It was suppose to have arrived today... but didn't. Hopefully it's delivered tomorrow.

I pulled most of the plastic molding and carpet up, along with the passenger seat in preparation for a better install.
Not sure why you are using Blockit mats when you went to the trouble of pulling the carpet out. Blockit is intended as a quick overlay on top of the carpet. Why not use the Noico mat in the trunk?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:31 PM
RUMBL B
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jimnc
Not sure why you are using Blockit mats when you went to the trouble of pulling the carpet out. Blockit is intended as a quick overlay on top of the carpet. Why not use the Noico mat in the trunk?
My intention is to use both. The Noico mat is going down in the trunk, all cubbies, behind the seats, under the seat and over the console. Then re-install all carpet and molding material. Lastly, lay down the Blockit to add additional sound dampening. Why not do both?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 PM
RUMBL B
Advanced

Well, no progress today. Amazon 2-day prime is turning into 5-day prime. Looks like it will be here Monday so I can start working on it on Tuesday. So much for a weekend project.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

My intention is to use both. The Noico mat is going down in the trunk, all cubbies, behind the seats, under the seat and over the console. Then re-install all carpet and molding material. Lastly, lay down the Blockit to add additional sound dampening. Why not do both?
Ok, got it. I thought of adding Blockit in my trunk which already has a layer of Hushmat. Please update on the improvement the Blockit adds to the Noico. If it makes a significant difference I might do the same.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:17 PM
RUMBL B
Advanced

Noico matting finally came in on Tuesday. Went to work yesterday and finished up today. I am moderately impressed by sound reduction, it's good, but not great. I'd say it reduced the drone by 40-50%.

While that may seem like a lot, after reading others doing the .50 mil Noico and having "great" success, I was really hoping for better results after using the .80 mil matting.

Needless to say, it helped. And now I will be ordering the TKO BlockIt mats for additional sound deadening.

I ended up doing the entire trunk area, nearly every single crevice, nook and cranny, behind the seats and the console/transmission tunnel area. Here's some photos:
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2017, 06:19 PM
RUMBL B
Advanced

More photos:
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by RUMBL B:
BamBamAF91 (02-19-2017), Vet Interested (04-03-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks like you're doing a really neat and thorough job. I had mine done too, and like you, couldn't tell as much of a positive improvement as I expected.

I really need to do the rear wheel wells because that's where a lot of the road noise comes from (based on experience with my C5) and possibly some of your drone comes in through there.

I'm reluctant to pull the wheel well liners because I'm afraid I'd not be able to get them back on correctly. Anybody know the procedure for doing that?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Noico matting finally came in on Tuesday. Went to work yesterday and finished up today. I am moderately impressed by sound reduction, it's good, but not great. I'd say it reduced the drone by 40-50%.

While that may seem like a lot, after reading others doing the .50 mil Noico and having "great" success, I was really hoping for better results after using the .80 mil matting.

Needless to say, it helped. And now I will be ordering the TKO BlockIt mats for additional sound deadening.

I ended up doing the entire trunk area, nearly every single crevice, nook and cranny, behind the seats and the console/transmission tunnel area. Here's some photos:
Thank you for ordering the Blockit. you will be happy with the results. However, I wish I would have spoken to you before you glued all of that other stuff down. You would have been much happier with DeadMats.
Out performs the butyl rubber product. Its lighter and thinner. Stops vibration dead.

Watch what a small 5 inch piece does!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,086 Likes on 592 Posts

i want to do this, and might go the deadmat route. i havent had time to look to see how all the carpet comes out in the back, but assuming take down plastics first and then it pretty much comes out in one piece/
Old 02-11-2017, 11:45 AM
RUMBL B
Advanced

Originally Posted by TKO Performance
Thank you for ordering the Blockit. you will be happy with the results. However, I wish I would have spoken to you before you glued all of that other stuff down. You would have been much happier with DeadMats.
Out performs the butyl rubber product. Its lighter and thinner. Stops vibration dead.
It honestly is more of a budget project. Dynamat (.67 mil) was $290 for 36 sq ft, and Noico (.80 mil) was $55 for 36 sq ft with similar results. 36 sq ft was not enough for the entire trunk area, so that significantly increases the cost. It is a heavier material, but that doesn't really bother me.

I saw your DeadMat product, but that really exceeded what I wanted to spend. I have heard of people using your BlockIt but have not heard of any DeadMat use. And BlockIt has a 8-10dB sound reduction, which is equal to nearly 50%. If that holds true, I shouldn't have any more droning.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It honestly is more of a budget project. Dynamat (.67 mil) was $290 for 36 sq ft, and Noico (.80 mil) was $55 for 36 sq ft with similar results. 36 sq ft was not enough for the entire trunk area, so that significantly increases the cost. It is a heavier material, but that doesn't really bother me.

I saw your DeadMat product, but that really exceeded what I wanted to spend. I have heard of people using your BlockIt but have not heard of any DeadMat use. And BlockIt has a 8-10dB sound reduction, which is equal to nearly 50%. If that holds true, I shouldn't have any more droning.

Just got 36 sq feet (.67 mil) of dynamat for $149.99 on amazon. I may order some of the stuff tko suggests too.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,086 Likes on 592 Posts

after doing some reading, i think i may go the BlockIT route, not sure if i want to rip all the carpet in the hatch area out. not to mention the ease of the mat
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Seems to me your chasing the wrong cat, in other words you are talking about "drone noise" not "road noise". Now I'm no expert for sure, but drone is caused by the exhaust system not road noise.
What you are doing will help overall but maybe talk about what you can do with the exhaust system to get rid of or lessen the droning.
I have the NPP and wouldn't trade it for any other, when quiet is wanted just flip the switch, want noise, again just flip the switch, best of both worlds
Just an observation, good luck
NSF
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (12-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Sound Deadening Project.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Here's mine all done up, it makes a huge difference.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

One question please, How do you get those storage bins out?? I have pulled till my fingers almost bleed and no go
Thanks
NSF
Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
One question please, How do you get those storage bins out?? I have pulled till my fingers almost bleed and no go
Thanks
NSF
I don't think the bins will come up until the carpet is removed. Look closely in my previous photo or rumbl B's and you will see the location of the clips that hold the carpet down. Try getting your hand near those and pull up hard. Best regards

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Project.