Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking recommendations for two-day HPDE at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Seeking recommendations for two-day HPDE at Laguna Seca

Hoping some West Coast folks that are into HPDEs can help me out with a recommendation. I'm looking to do a two-day event at Laguna Seca this Spring/Summer. I would prefer to run with some other Vettes but if I have to run with a bunch of German sedans or rear mount engine "Sprockets", so be it.

Being my first time to that track I would prefer an event that offers at least a partial day with an instructor in the car so help guide me through the first couple sessions, but instruction doesn't have to be for the full event.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Ryan
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll be running there in June, haven't decided which two days but usually Sat busiest. This event usually fills up quickly. It might be slim pickings until then.
I typically bring C7 and radical.
My son and I both instruct and/or do lead follow.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=627
Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennisscars
I'll be running there in June, haven't decided which two days but usually Sat busiest. This event usually fills up quickly. It might be slim pickings until then.
I typically bring C7 and radical.
My son and I both instruct and/or do lead follow.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=627
In 2015 Speed venture somehow landed a no limit sound event. It soldout months in advance although they charged $500 per day. I was there. The only reason I didn't go last year and no plans for this years is the sound limit otherwise it's my favorite track.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thGear
In 2015 Speed venture somehow landed a no limit sound event. It soldout months in advance although they charged $500 per day. I was there. The only reason I didn't go last year and no plans for this years is the sound limit otherwise it's my favorite track.
On my stock C7 if I shift at 5k (even in track mode) and shift at sound station and under 8k on radical I can make 90dB. Just seems to be that last some revs. It's helped me to learn to increase my exit speed at turn 5.

I've just adjusted my times for 90 and 92dB days. Not going to break track record on a 90 dB day.
My son got his money's worth that year, blew a 107dB on his LS motor..
Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Check out trackmasters-racing.com; they have three 2-day weekend HPDE days at Mazda/Laguna Seca in 2017 and have instructors available.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you're a Newb to the track then I highly suggest running with Hooked on Driving ( www.hookedondriving.com ) for your first couple events. They have good instructors on hand to help you get comfortable on track and teach you the rights and wrongs of being on track. Many of their instructors have Corvette experience so you won't have to listen to a Spec Miata driver trying to tell you the correct line for a Corvette

I also recommend making the drive to Thunder Hill for your first couple events. It's easier to learn and much more forgiving because there are very few things to hit. They have a lot of track days there and it's worth the drive, especially before the weather gets hot.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM
RJ-19
Instructor

I am just looking to do a couple days at L.S. mainly because it is a bucket list track for me. If you're a fan of road racing, who wouldn't want the chance to charge down the corkscrew?

I have a fair amount of on-track experience at other facilities, but none at L.S. I just want someone in the car to get started as I'm sure what I think is "best" will vary quite a bit from someone who has vast experience at that particular facility.

Ryan J
Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
If you're a Newb to the track then I highly suggest running with Hooked on Driving ( www.hookedondriving.com ) for your first couple events. They have good instructors on hand to help you get comfortable on track and teach you the rights and wrongs of being on track. Many of their instructors have Corvette experience so you won't have to listen to a Spec Miata driver trying to tell you the correct line for a Corvette

I also recommend making the drive to Thunder Hill for your first couple events. It's easier to learn and much more forgiving because there are very few things to hit. They have a lot of track days there and it's worth the drive, especially before the weather gets hot.

VERY sound advice for anyone new or 'newish' to the track. HOD is well oriented toward that range in the spectrum.
Also recommend BMWCCA or PCA events! Very instruction focused, and nobody there wants to get their car hurt.
For more advanced drivers at Laguna, NCRC has a lot of days scheduled this year. Well priced, but all 90dB...

Last edited by Nowanker; 02-16-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: grammar!
The following users liked this post:
RichieRichZ06 (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Regarding the sound check at Laguna Seca, a stock C5Z with stock exhaust should be in a very good position. There has been much discussion over the years on this site about how to keep the sound numbers in check, short shifting by the station and the like. With stock exhaust I would be surprised if you had to make any driving modification for sound.

Also Thunder Hill is a great recommendation. IMHO it is a much easier track for a beginner to learn on, with more obvious intuitive lines and corners. Also T Hill has "The Cyclone" for a corkscrew like experience. Laguna is of course a great track, but a bit more challenging to learn and master, anyways it was for me back in the early days of NASA without an instructor.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:39 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AND0
Regarding the sound check at Laguna Seca, a stock C5Z with stock exhaust should be in a very good position. There has been much discussion over the years on this site about how to keep the sound numbers in check, short shifting by the station and the like. With stock exhaust I would be surprised if you had to make any driving modification for sound.

Also Thunder Hill is a great recommendation. IMHO it is a much easier track for a beginner to learn on, with more obvious intuitive lines and corners. Also T Hill has "The Cyclone" for a corkscrew like experience. Laguna is of course a great track, but a bit more challenging to learn and master, anyways it was for me back in the early days of NASA without an instructor.
For a stock 2007 C6Z, I got flagged at 92.2db at Laguna.....just fyi.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't worry about the German cars. It's the Miata's that will make you crazy.

They'll be on your bumper on every exit.

Richard Newton
Track Days 101
Old 02-22-2017, 03:11 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Don't worry about the German cars. It's the Miata's that will make you crazy.

They'll be on your bumper on every exit.

Richard Newton
Track Days 101
Kinda like the Porsche Boxster that's behind you

OP...The BMW Golden Gate Chapter has an event at LS within the next couple of weeks. They usually sell out quickly, but you may want to take a look.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

I know it's not MRLS, it's one of the tracks that every driver should try and that's AutoClub Speedway in Fontana Ca. As exciting as it is to drop thru the Corkscrew at Laguna, driving into the HI Bank at ACS is just as thrilling. HOD is doing a two day event there 4th/5th March.

Mark.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Speed ventures has 3 days in June. They run a good show. Registration will open mid march.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:58 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Exciting corners

Originally Posted by Moto One
I know it's not MRLS, it's one of the tracks that every driver should try and that's AutoClub Speedway in Fontana Ca. As exciting as it is to drop thru the Corkscrew at Laguna, driving into the HI Bank at ACS is just as thrilling. HOD is doing a two day event there 4th/5th March.

Mark.
Laguna is a must to drive and it's such a beautiful place to enjoy. The corkscrew is quite unique yet for me this is not the corner I'd always look forward to the most. Corner number 1 in a vette is very exciting. It took me a number of laps, but I finally was able to keep the pedal planted on my C6 going over the crest into #1. Prior to this, I was careful to make sure my slicks and brakes were warmed up and in top shape. As a spectator, I'd see the American Lemans and Weathertech upper groups sometimes reaching >140 on the radar board going into the crest. But as a driver, my speedometer here topped 120 and that was fast enough for me; especially since this first corner right after the crest seemed to have an off camber slant to it. Going this speed, I was careful to lift smoothly. Oh by the way, a great way to get a personal feel for this track is to ride a bicycle on it. Laguna Seca has one night each month where they allow the public to ride their bikes. It use to be only $10. This spring their bike nights are as follows: March 15, April 12 and May 17... Enjoy!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy your time on LS, from years ago, each of the groups HOD, SVs, and TMs should have instruction available and bump you up if possible as soon as you are up to speed. But for as good as the Corkscrew is, Sonoma is better, imho. Have fun
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kelly.s
Speed ventures has 3 days in June. They run a good show. Registration will open mid march.
Thanks to everyone for your input. After looking into the various groups mentioned (as well as some others) I've decided to run Friday and Sunday with Speed Ventures at the end of June. I took the day off in the middle to just enjoy the facility and watch the other drivers. I also figured it would be the most crowded day on the track as well so that's a good day to sit out.

Let the countdown begin...

Ryan J

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking recommendations for two-day HPDE at Laguna Seca

Old 04-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Enjoy, but be careful!
I've only run with Speedventures once, 2 days down at Buttonwillow several years ago.
Hopefully they have improved their act... there was scary sh*t going on ALL over the track. We left Sunday early when there was a totaled S2000 in the pit wall. I heard there was a second one right after lunch...
I offer the same advice I give for NASA HPDEs: Use caution and keep tabs on who's around you. I never saw anything inappropriate in group 4, but every NASA event I've been to has had at least one totaled car from group 2 or 3.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:04 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Enjoy, but be careful!... Use caution and keep tabs on who's around you.
I would agree. Unfortunately wrecks and/or poor driving isn't a symptom of any one organization or event that can be avoided by just not going to that event or driving with a given organization. Accidents on track are a result of a toxic mix of boys and their toys and their egos, that can potentially be found at any event.

It doesn't matter how many times the organizers say or write "HPDE IS NOT A RACE" it just doesn't sink in for a certain percentage of the participants. They are only there to go as fast as possible, consequences be damned. Just go watch in-car cameras from YouTube and I promise you can't watch ten before you find one where the driver is losing their mind in the car, cursing and making hand gestures, because a slower car they caught didn't immediately get out of their way when they got within a 1/4 mile behind them. Their videos will usually be titled something like:
"[MY CAR] destroys/dominates/blows by/passes [MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE CAR]"
Notice how they are never titled:
"My Great Track Day at [FAVORITE TRACK] - I Gave 15 Point-bys When They Were Appropriate"

I too have seen my share of wrecked cars at events as well. Ironic that you would mention an S2000 as that was the last vehicle I saw wrecked as well. I guess the driver hurried just a little too much through Hurry Downs at Road America because the back end looked similar to this view. They bounced off one wall so hard they then went clear across the track and tagged the opposite wall with the other end of the car. If you look around the car you can see it was misting that day, and good chance that was a factor in the accident.

An instructor once told me "Remember that there are trophies available today and more importantly also remember the trophy you are competing for is your car. If you drive safe and within your abilities all day, there is a really good chance you get to keep your trophy. If you drive poorly or don't pay attention, you may not get to drive your trophy home..."

Two main causes of wrecks at HPDE events IMO:
Ego > Ability
- and / or -
HP > Ability

Ryan J

Last edited by RJ-19; 04-23-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Ego>talent = recipe for disaster... Very true!
But some groups do seem to be more focused on safety than others. BMWCCA, PCA and Hooked on Driving come to mind specifically.
Out of all the zillion track events I've attended, that Speedventures Buttonwillow one sticks out as the antithesis!
Hope they have it better together now.
Enjoy Laguna, and get some good pix!

Quick Reply: Seeking recommendations for two-day HPDE at Laguna Seca