Sponsored by:

Hello, new here

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, new here

Hello Corvette Lovers. I'm new to the site and the Corvette world. I'm sure you see my name Tonia. I must say I love my 2016 C7 Vette but not happy with what going on with it and not getting answers from Vette techs. I ordered it Oct 2015 delivery was December 18th 2015 from the factory to my specs. I've HD so many things wrong with her but they fixed them, except ONE major problem. My convertible top, it's not the problems I've been reading. My problem is when closing the top the back window part won't complete the closing. I'm holding the switch down and it's a whinny noise that the next part isn't popping out to complete the closure. It's happened 3 times took her back every time, of course they can't find anything or it doesn't do it in there possession. Any suggestions??? I'm ready to turn her in.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

First welcome. I'm sure you will get some responses here. To me it sounds like the motor for the top. I have a 2016 vert and my top has been fine so far
The following users liked this post:
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:43 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I have a coupe, but wanted to say -- welcome!! Lots of knowledge on here so someone will have an answer. Sorry ur having so many problems; I think you will find most are pretty problem free,
Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tonia. I'm sorry the hear you're having a problem with your top. Mine has been flawless, but that doesn't help you I know. There has been threads here where some have had popping in the top mechanism, but nothing like this. If possible have your phone handy for a video when you drop the top in case it does the deed. That way you can show your dealer. I think we've all had those problems that just won't happen at the dealer. If the dealer doesn't believe you with a video I'd say it's time to try another dealer. Good luck, and keep us updated.

BTW, from reading your post it's sounds like the tops framework is binding somewhere.That would account for the whining noise you hear. It's the motor trying to complete the process, and the frame just won't cooperate.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-02-2017 at 04:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (01-23-2018), Gonzo (03-02-2017), Tonia Rhodes-Pierce (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Can you take it to a different dealer?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:30 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Sounds like it just needs to be adjusted. As was said, take it to a different dealer.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Welcome to the club!

I second the suggestion above to try and video the issue on your phone. That typically is an effective way to get the tech's attention. Especially if it always works fine when they are looking at it.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
Navigator

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Welcome to the forum Tonia. I'm sorry the hear you're having a problem with your top. Mine has been flawless, but that doesn't help you I know. There has been threads here where some have had popping in the top mechanism, but nothing like this. If possible have your phone handy for a video when you drop the top in case it does the deed. That way you can show your dealer. I think we've all had those problems that just won't happen at the dealer. If the dealer doesn't believe you with a video I'd say it's time to try another dealer. Good luck, and keep us updated.

BTW, from reading your post it's sounds like the tops framework is binding somewhere.That would account for the whining noise you hear. It's the motor trying to complete the process, and the frame just won't cooperate.
Thank you for the information especially video tape it when it happens. Excellent suggestion! I've also had 3 visors replaced every time it happened. Driver side only.

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Can you take it to a different dealer?

Yes I will try that Monday. Thanks!

Originally Posted by speedlink
Sounds like it just needs to be adjusted. As was said, take it to a different dealer.

I will thank you for your help.

Originally Posted by drs
Welcome to the club!

I second the suggestion above to try and video the issue on your phone. That typically is an effective way to get the tech's attention. Especially if it always works fine when they are looking at it.

You're right it works fine when I take it in.

Thank you! Hope I can get it resolved soon.

I would like to thank everyone for welcoming me to the forum. Thanks for all your advice. They had to order a third visor for the driver side, just waiting for it to come in. I belive the top have something to do with the visor breaking every time also. It's an honor and an excellent achievement for me to own my dream sports car. Thanks again for your advice because I have no one else to ask for help. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: merged Posts-use the Muti Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your replies look like this!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Welcome Tonia
Old 03-02-2017, 07:34 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default welcome and good luck

Previously I had a C6 GS conv and it demanded regular top adjustments; one of the reasons I went with a C7 conv was how much better I found the top mechanism to work well and over time. There are adjustments that can be made and the video others suggested is an excellent move (used a similar one with an Acura I owned and wiper problems they refused to believe me about because they claimed they had never seen it before but the video not only proved it, it demonstrated the length I was willing to go to and elicited a far better response from the dealership)

Good luck and welcome...
Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
Navigator

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Previously I had a C6 GS conv and it demanded regular top adjustments; one of the reasons I went with a C7 conv was how much better I found the top mechanism to work well and over time. There are adjustments that can be made and the video others suggested is an excellent move (used a similar one with an Acura I owned and wiper problems they refused to believe me about because they claimed they had never seen it before but the video not only proved it, it demonstrated the length I was willing to go to and elicited a far better response from the dealership)

Good luck and welcome...

Wow,,thank you so much! I thought I was crazy lol. I will do video the next time. Any problems with your driver side visor? I think the top is the issue for the third time replacing it.

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Welcome Tonia
Thanks!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-use the Muti Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your replies look like this!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Haven't been able to operate mine for a few months so I forget its routine, but I think it lowers the "tonneau cover" and locks that into place before it lowers and locks the rear window area into place.

Maybe try putting it up and right when the cover comes down on the back of the car back it up or "lower" it a little till and see how stuff is lining up, or if anything looks odd with the mechanism. (I do similar so I can clean in that area) Maybe its out of whack just enough that occasionally it can't complete the step where it locks the cover into place, therefore it can't move on to the last step where it lowers the rear window area.

Something to try when it gets stuck: Get out of the car and go around pushing down on both sides of the cover, then try again and see if it finishes.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
Navigator

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Haven't been able to operate mine for a few months so I forget its routine, but I think it lowers the "tonneau cover" and locks that into place before it lowers and locks the rear window area into place.

Maybe try putting it up and right when the cover comes down on the back of the car back it up or "lower" it a little till and see how stuff is lining up, or if anything looks odd with the mechanism. (I do similar so I can clean in that area) Maybe its out of whack just enough that occasionally it can't complete the step where it locks the cover into place, therefore it can't move on to the last step where it lowers the rear window area.

Something to try when it gets stuck: Get out of the car and go around pushing down on both sides of the cover, then try again and see if it finishes.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've never actually seen the top operate. I didn't know I could stop it get out and look at how the top operates.

I will be going to Ted Britt Chevrolet tomorrow. I purchased from Pohanka Chevrolet. Thanks for info everyone. Sorry being new to the site so still trying to figure it out lol.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-use the Muti Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your replies look like this!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Congratulations and post some pictures and details when you have time.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
Navigator

Originally Posted by Blue Demon

I'm playing with the site trying to figure out how to post pictures.

Originally Posted by Blue Demon

I don't see where to load pictures.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-use the Muti Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your replies look like this!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:19 PM
geo2000
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 111 Posts

Hello to you and congrats on the purchase of your new toy. We need pics
Old 03-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
Navigator

^^^Trying to figure that out now.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello, new here

Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Congratulations on your new Vette.

Regarding posting pictures. Save the pictures to your computer. Then when posting or replying, click on the yellow square icon, with what looks to be a little mountain, that is located on the tool bar above the text box.. It is located under the left arrow at the top of the tool bar. After you click the yellow square another page will come up, click on the "Browse my device" and click on the picture file in your computer. Then click "insert".
Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonia Rhodes-Pierce
I will be going to Ted Britt Chevrolet tomorrow. I purchased from Pohanka Chevrolet. Thanks for info everyone. Sorry being new to the site so still trying to figure it out lol.
Store your pics on your lap top. When you "reply", click on the yellow box with the mountain top on the tool bar header. It will request you to browse your lap top for your stored pics. Easy.

By the way, congrats on your new Vette.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 03-02-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Tonia, first, congrats on your new ride. Good luck getting any sleep tonight!

Second, download your photos to a free site like PhotoBucket.com. Then copy and paste the IMG code from any picture to post here on CorvetteForum.

I have also merged your two "Hello" threads together.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello, new here