Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28

Hey folks, not much to this thread other than to give you my thoughts after selling my 09' ZR1 and getting a 2015 Z/28. I'll start by saying while I don't regret my decision (well, maybe a little) I do miss the ZR1.

My ZR1 was absolutely cherry, immaculate, flawless.....just an amazingly gorgeous car. The reason I sold it is because I've just always wanted a Z/28 for the uniqueness and rarity of the car. I knew I was giving up straight line performance but that wasn't enough of a priority for me not to sell it.

I will say that I was almost sick to my stomach when I watched the new owner drive away in the ZR1. My first thought was, "What the hell did I just do?" The ZR1 is just such a fabulous car in every way......supercar performance, but can be driven every day. Very, very smooth, but unleash the beast and she'll rip any road apart. I was pretty bummed the whole day after I sold the car.

You all know about the ZR1 so nothing more to say.....on to the Z/28.

I'll just get it out of the way, as I mentioned above, a Z/28 is nowhere near a ZR1 in straight line acceleration. It's not slow by any means, but there's no comparison with power at any rpm. What I do love about the Z/28 is how quickly it revs.

Surprisingly, I prefer the exhaust note of the Z/28. I pulled the fuze and it's just so raw and badass sounding. Like a NASCAR. The ZR1 has a great sound also (I had the mild to wild switch on mine), but the Z/28 is just more aggressive.

Handling is pretty close. They both handle phenomenally. One other thing that's shocking....for a car that weighs 500lbs more than a ZR1, the Z/28 steering feels lighter and transitions back and forth are smoother.

The Z/28 beats you up pretty good with its stiff suspension. I do wish it had the magnetic shocks like the ZR1 so I could dial in tour or sport mode. There is a tour/sport option in the Z/28, but it's misleading, it doesn't soften the suspension in any way.

I much prefer the Z/28 short throw shifter. Very precise and super fun. I really like the ZR1 shifter, but the throw is noticeably longer.

Subjective stuff: Appearance I think is really close. They are both badass looking cars. Different obviously but awesome in their own ways. I don't really care about this, but I get about the same number of thumbs up and questions at gas stations with the ZR1 and the Z/28. One thing I will say that the Z/28 has that the ZR1 can't match, and this is very subjective, is the rawness of the car. You can tell the Z/28 was built for one purpose, the track. It's actually an ok street car, drives fine, though again the suspension is a bit stiff. This is where I think the Z/28 is more "me" in the sense that I really like the simplicity of the car. No HUD, manual seats, spartan interior (it's a standard Camaro interior which is fine). It translates to a more visceral connected feel when driving the car. If there was ever a "drivers car" so to speak, then the Z/28 is it. The ZR1 is so smooth, almost too smooth for me (this is so subjective that it's one of those things that for some folks would drive them AWAY from the Z/28, but for me I wanted the raw/aggressive experience).

Again, not much point to this post other than hopefully some interesting reading. In a way this is cathartic for me. I do miss the ZR1, especially the power......man that car is a missile. I did not intend for this to be a "Z/28 vs ZR1" in the sense that one is better than the other. I don't think one is better than the other. They are different cars with a different feel while driving them. I wish I had the means to have them both. I will say this, if I ever go back to a Vette I will be looking for another ZR1. You all own a very special car. Don't let go of them lightly, you might regret it.
The following users liked this post:
Konadog06 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:03 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Here's a couple of pics of my new ride........
Attached Images   
Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Real nice car, good luck with it!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I also sold my 2011 SSB Carbon Edition a few months after I bought my 2015 black Z/28 as I thought the Z/28 was a much better car overall - from the transmission to the suspension, steering, SEATS, driving comfort, etc.

To me the Z/28 suspension is spot-on, absorbs bumps much better than the Carbon and ZR1 MR suspension. Also, the Z/28 has zero body-roll.

Z/28 is perfection - spartan interior, no right knee rubbing on center consoles, proper seats - I even like it better than my 2014 991 GT3, and it took me a few months to also accept this fact.

The more you drive it, the more the Z/28 will convince you of its existence.

z28monster (on camaro5.com forum)
Attached Images  

Last edited by corvettemonster; 03-22-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Great read, thanks! Beautiful car, enjoy it. One thing to keep in mind is that your comparing 6 year newer technology.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

well-written post, OP...G/L with your new ride.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:18 PM
3monkeys
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome car!

Last edited by 3monkeys; 03-22-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Great read, thanks! Beautiful car, enjoy it. One thing to keep in mind is that your comparing 6 year newer technology.
Yep, it's a little bit of an apples/oranges comparison with the technology separation, but in a way it actually validates how awesome the ZR1 still is. For the price it's hard to say anything is a better performance bargain on the planet! There are still so many cars that cannot touch a ZR1, especially in a straight line.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Everyone has there own reasons and preferences, but I would never give up a ZR1 for a Camero. I'm a bit biased because I really want a ZR1. I sat in a new Camera and the visibility was poor. I hope you don't have major regrets later on and enjoy your new ride. Sometime we just want something different.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (03-25-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
Here's a couple of pics of my new ride........
sweet Z... I almost pulled the trigger on one before the C7. The place did not want to negotiate on the price. Great ride enjoy.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Originally Posted by keeso6z
Everyone has there own reasons and preferences, but I would never give up a ZR1 for a Camero. I'm a bit biased because I really want a ZR1. I sat in a new Camera and the visibility was poor. I hope you don't have major regrets later on and enjoy your new ride. Sometime we just want something different.

You are absolutely correct that we all have our own preferences. My buddies thought I was crazy to give up the ZR1. Literally the Z/28 was the ONLY car I would have given up the ZR1 for (well, maybe a 911 GT3!). I had a ZL1 Camaro before I bought the ZR1. I think I'm just a "Camaro guy", whatever that means. After having the Z/28 for almost two weeks now I don't have any regrets, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about the ZR1 every once in a while. The ultimate litmus test for me is if someone with a low mile perfect condition 2013 ZR1 came up to me and said "Let's trade straight up"........I wouldn't do it. Granted, the Z/28 is brand new to me so it's still the "Honeymoon" phase in terms of having a new car, but one of the things I probably should have mentioned in my original post is just how freakin fun the Z/28 is to drive. Not that the ZR1 wasn't fun to drive, it was, but the Z/28 is like that hopped up car you had when you were 18. Pure muscle car with tons of personality and mean as hell. Hard to put a price on that. Trust me this was a tough decision because the ZR1 was my dream car when it came out in 2009. I feel blessed that I've owned both cars.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

What about the new ZL1 with the LT4? Did you consider one of those? I had the chance to buy a 2009 ZR1 with 1,745 miles on it last week. It was black, one owner and collector car quality. The seller wanted $69, 900. He had multiple cars and was obviously wealthy- had 3 ZR1s. I didn't move on it because I am not in a position to buy one after buying a C6 Z06 last year. It sold in less than a week. The ZR1, if low miles and collector quality is going to be collectable at some point. It's rare and the ultimate Corvette.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Originally Posted by keeso6z
What about the new ZL1 with the LT4? Did you consider one of those? I had the chance to buy a 2009 ZR1 with 1,745 miles on it last week. It was black, one owner and collector car quality. The seller wanted $69, 900. He had multiple cars and was obviously wealthy- had 3 ZR1s. I didn't move on it because I am not in a position to buy one after buying a C6 Z06 last year. It sold in less than a week. The ZR1, if low miles and collector quality is going to be collectable at some point. It's rare and the ultimate Corvette.
I'm not a fan of the 6th Gen Camaros. At my local Chevy dealer there is a new ZL1 and a new 1LE. I think they're pretty cool cars, but absolutely no way would I have gotten rid of my ZR1 for one. I'm really partial to the 5th Gen Camaros, but really only two cars, the ZL1 and Z/28. Having already owned a ZL1, the Z/28 was it for me. I agree that a low mile ZR1 in exceptional condition should bring a nice price. My ZR1 had 23000 miles on it, but lived its life as a show car so when I bought it there was literally nothing wrong with it except for a couple of tiny blemishes on the drivers side door that you had to look for to even be able to see, otherwise it was a true 10 out of 10 car inside and out.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

We all have our preferences in the cars. For me, it's the C6 Corvettes, specifically the Z06 and ZR1. It would have been hard for me to give up the performance of the ZR1. But there are more things to a car than just raw straight line power and performance. No, not really- ha!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I have also considered selling my Z06 for a Z28 but I just can't bring myself to do it. Great looking car btw and congrats!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
gnturboray
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Rarity over a ZR1?? There were a tad over 1800 Z28's built in 2 years and 4600 ZR1's built in 4 years. Both are rare cars in their own right.

Last edited by gnturboray; 03-23-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:30 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
I'm not a fan of the 6th Gen Camaros. At my local Chevy dealer there is a new ZL1 and a new 1LE. I think they're pretty cool cars, but absolutely no way would I have gotten rid of my ZR1 for one. I'm really partial to the 5th Gen Camaros, but really only two cars, the ZL1 and Z/28. Having already owned a ZL1, the Z/28 was it for me. I agree that a low mile ZR1 in exceptional condition should bring a nice price. My ZR1 had 23000 miles on it, but lived its life as a show car so when I bought it there was literally nothing wrong with it except for a couple of tiny blemishes on the drivers side door that you had to look for to even be able to see, otherwise it was a true 10 out of 10 car inside and out.
Actually saw a new ZL1 at a Chevy dealer a couple days ago and it didn't do it for me - awesome front end, but the designers were obviously getting sleepy when designing the rear end. Performance is pretty legit from what I've read (personally never driven one).

When the Z/28 starting popping up in car mags, internet reviews, etc., I could not find one bad review - not one! Thus, I had to test drive the hype ...and did at a local chevy dealer. Man, I was completely blown away by the ride - it's hard to explain, it just hunkers down like a bastard and wants to please the driver. Never thought I'd ever drive away in a Gen 5 Camaro instead of a new 2015 Z06 from the Chevy dealership, but I did and have no regrets. The LS7 belongs in the Camaro as much as it belongs in the Z06. And with $25,500 off $76,500 MSRP, I just couldn't resist stealing the Z/28.

Last edited by corvettemonster; 03-23-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28

Old 03-23-2017, 07:41 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good for you if you love your new Z28. I'm sure it's a special car.

But it will take a lot more than the Z28 to kick my ZR1 out of my garage though.
The following 2 users liked this post by darth g-f:
speedwaywhite (04-26-2017), tonysz06 (09-11-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for selling me your ZR1. It is everything you said it was. I hope you enjoy your new car as much as I am loving your old one.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

He may be wanting it back before long- ha! The C6 ZR1 is a special car, no doubt. I may get one in a few years, but right now I'm content with my 525rwhp C6 Z.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28