Sponsored by:

Jump starting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Jump starting?

Is there a positive post (and ground) under the hood that can be used for jump starting?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

No. Use the battery posts in the rear.

There is a spot to hook a battery maintainer but not for the high amp surge needed to start the car.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-30-2017 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-18-2019)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Jump Starting - North
America . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 284

Owners Manual Shows hooking up cables to the battery in the rear of the car. The hook up for the maintainer is a 12 volt plug above it.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:17 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
No. Use the battery posts in the rear.

There is a spot to hook a battery maintainer but not for the high amp surge needed to start the car.

Elmer

I have a gadget for jump starting cars through their cigarette lighters. If I plug it into the outlet about the battery will that do any damage? I assume there is fuse protection.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Heard from one guy he said that don't jump start the car, cause C7 got a lot of electronics and you might fry them when you jump start the car, since it's high voltage. Is that right? If it is then I better remember it! don't want to fry nothing!!

I do have the trickle charger that it came with, can you use that to "charge" the battery when it's dead? Or you just need to leave it on when you don't use the car for awhile.

What if you don't know when you will drive the car? I guess battery starts to go after 3,4 weeks or not driving, so plug in trickle charge when you haven't drive the car for 3,4 weeks is that right?

Also heard all the electronics if you want to repair them yourself jsut the diagnostic tool will cost a lot, he recommended extended warranty from GM. Is that right it's hard to repair/maintain it yourself, especially the electronics
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
Is there a positive post (and ground) under the hood that can be used for jump starting?
Owner's manual:

justplainjim (07-18-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by okaythen
Heard from one guy he said that don't jump start the car, cause C7 got a lot of electronics and you might fry them when you jump start the car, since it's high voltage. Is that right? If it is then I better remember it! don't want to fry nothing!!

I do have the trickle charger that it came with, can you use that to "charge" the battery when it's dead? Or you just need to leave it on when you don't use the car for awhile.

What if you don't know when you will drive the car? I guess battery starts to go after 3,4 weeks or not driving, so plug in trickle charge when you haven't drive the car for 3,4 weeks is that right?

Also heard all the electronics if you want to repair them yourself jsut the diagnostic tool will cost a lot, he recommended extended warranty from GM. Is that right it's hard to repair/maintain it yourself, especially the electronics
1) Yes you can jump start the car using the direct connections to the battery in the rear.

2) If it came with the car, you have a "Battery maintainer", not a trickle charger. It maintains a charged battery when you let the car sit for extended periods of time. I hook it up every time I pull in the garage to keep the battery topped off.

3) You cannot use the battery maintainer to recharge a dead battery.

4) Diagnostic tools to read the codes can be had for under $50. I have a device called EFILive and it is a code reader AND a tuning tool. I do not tune the car as a tune will void the drive-train warranty immediately.

5) Extended warranty is a good thing to have as most any repair can cost a lot of money. I have one.

Elmer
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
okaythen (05-03-2017), vbdenny (07-17-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You don't jump the car with high voltage. You jump a car from another car with a 12V system, a separate battery or a charger that has a built in high current starting option to permit starting the engine using the charger.

Instantaneous cranking amperage can be well over 300 amps (that is why your battery has such a high amp rating) but you need large cables and good connections to get that much current out of 12V, even a little resistance or small contact area (the jaws on a lot of jumper cables have small contact areas) can reduce the current capacity sufficiently that the engine won't start unless the weak battery is charged using the jumper cables for 15 to 20 minutes to build sufficient current capacity between the two vehicles to attempt a start.

If all you did was leave the lights on and discharged the battery you would be able to use jumpers to add some current to your battery and after a few minutes hit the key and there would be enough capacity between the your battery and the other car's battery to start the engine. If your battery has a short there is no way you can build up a charge in your battery and you might damage the charging system of the car being used to provide the jump.

Bill
okaythen (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:38 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Yeah I meant the battery maintainer the car came with and not trickle charger. The hatch will open a little bit with the maintainer hooked up, I believe the hatch door light will go off after awhile.

You can't use the battery maintainer for another car right? it's c7 specific
Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

The maintainer can be used on all cars.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:46 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah I meant the battery maintainer the car came with and not trickle charger. The hatch will open a little bit with the maintainer hooked up, I believe the hatch door light will go off after awhile.

You can't use the battery maintainer for another car right? it's c7 specific
Originally Posted by Stan0324
The maintainer can be used on all cars.
It can be used on any car with a 12 volt system, BUT not all cars keep the cigar lighter circuit active with the key off, and some just keep it on for 15 minutes.

Only the rear port in the hatch on the C7 is active all the time for example. You can't use the front one on the console.

The C6 on the other hand both the ashtray and console ports are always on.
PRAY HRD (12-30-2021)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Ok sometimes I drive the Z all the time, sometimes I get busy and I don't drive it at all, like so far it's been 3 weeks, so I actually never know when to plug in the battery maintainer or not. But for the Z is it about a month until battery is dead? So during the month when do you need to plug in the maintainer for it to work properly? near the end of month I guess not since battery is almost dead, maybe a week, 2 weeks of not driving it ?

And you just leave the battery maintainer in until the next time you drive right? and not just leave it there for 2,3 days.

Last edited by okaythen; 07-17-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
The answer is NO but you might be interested in some history on the subject!

History:
This is what it said on page 1-20 of the 2014 C7 Owner's Manual:
"Jump Starting the Battery
The battery is in the rear of the vehicle. Access to the battery is not necessary for jump starting. There are remote positive (+) and negative (−) terminals under the hood for this purpose. See Jump Starting on page 10-65."

For several months forum posters were defining where those "terminals" were and showed pics (positive on the input of the front fuse box!) However I looked at the size of the wire and it was far smaller than I used in my Street Rod that has it's battery in the far right corner, like the C7! I had used starting current draw and wire length then calculated and used a much large gauge wire! As someone mentioned, starting currents can exceed 300 amps.

I sent a PM to the Chevy Customer Service folks who monitor the forum (much more so in 2013/3014 than now.) I asked: "Is the Owner's Manual correct? I pointed out that the page referenced, 10-65, said nothing about jumping from the engine compartment!" They replied after some time, "Their Sources" said "the manual was correct."

I then asked, if it was then were is the positive terminal location. After several attempts to get an answer I was told "They cannot get an answer from "Their Sources!"

It was finally resolved when that obvious error in the front section of the 2014 Owner's Manual was printed for 2015 and subsequent years. It was removed!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-17-2017 at 06:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
vbdenny (07-17-2017), wmupaprmkr (03-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by JerryU
The answer is NO but you might be interested in some history on the subject!

History:
This is what it said on page 1-20 of the 2014 Owner's Manual:
"Jump Starting the Battery
The battery is in the rear of the vehicle. Access to the battery is not necessary for jump starting. There are remote positive (+) and negative (−) terminals under the hood for this purpose. See Jump Starting on page 10-65."

For several months forum posters were defining where those posts were and showed pics (positive on the input of the front fuse box!) However I looked at the size of the wire and it was far smaller than I used in my Street Rod that has it's battery in the far right corner, like the C7! I had used starting current draw and wire length and calculated and used a much large wire! As someone mentioned starting currents can exceed 300 amps.

I sent a PM to the Chevy Customer Service folks who monitor the forum (much more in 2013/3014 than now.) I asked: "Is the Owner's Manual correct? I pointed out that the page referenced, 10-65, said nothing about jumping from the engine compartment!" They replied after some time, "Their Sources" said "the manual was correct."

I then asked, if it was then were is the positive terminal location. After several attempts to get an answer I was told "They cannot get an answer from "Their Sources!"

It was finally resolved when that obvious error in the front section of the 2014 Owner's Manual was printed for 2015 and subsequent years. It was removed!
Incredible! So, jump start using the terminals in the rear is the only safe option?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Incredible! So, jump start using the terminals in the rear is the only safe option?

YES!

Elmer
Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Yep!

Some earlier Vettes with rear mounted batteries did have a designated positive terminal in the engine compartment with a connection diagram on the front fuse panel cover. They apparently had larger, appropriately sized positive wire. Ground was an engine bolt!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-17-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Actually, according to the wiring diagram of the car, the underhood +12V bolt, on the side of the underhood fuse box is a better place to jump the car, as the starter cable connects there, and that cable is only about a foot away from the starter. I think GM changed their mind about the original underhood jump-start terminal because of legal liability....due to the recessed nature of that bolt/terminal, it would be easier for the jumper cable to pop off and potentially short to ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Jump starting?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

the battery maintainer is great, use it always and have juice right next to it in my garage. I did also purchase a solar charger with the cigarette plug which i can lay inside the back and works for outside parking. With the battery location being where it is, I'll have to assume these are externally vented batteries.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Actually, according to the wiring diagram of the car, the underhood +12V bolt, on the side of the underhood fuse box is a better place to jump the car, as the starter cable connects there, and that cable is only about a foot away from the starter. I think GM changed their mind about the original underhood jump-start terminal because of legal liability....due to the recessed nature of that bolt/terminal, it would be easier for the jumper cable to pop off and potentially short to ground.
This is the most important post so far. It's a hell of lot easier to get to the engine compartment connections rather than the battery in the trunk.

That's how my BMW works.

Can any other "electrical" wizards out there chime in about the wiring just to confirm what ersatz reports??
Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Thanks. Thought, like I wired my Street Rod, there might be a heavier wire connected directly to the starter solenoid and then a short smaller cable going from that connection to the front fuse panel. Looked for the wiring diagram in the 2014 printed Service Manual but could not define if that was the location of the starter positive connection. If a diagram from the printed Service Manual is what you used, what page?

Felt the same about the difficulty of removing the plastic cover. It does not come off easily and as you note the minimum clearance around the threaded bolt could cause jumper cable jaws to hit other grounded parts.

Even the earlier model Z06s with rear mounted batteries the jump starting diagram printed on the fuse box cover stated a positive terminal connection was inside the cover. But even there, suggesting clamping to an engine bolt head for a ground, as that did, is technically OK but not easy and a "shade tree mechanic" approach!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-18-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Jump starting?