Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealership called me to test drive a C7 Z06.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Dealership called me to test drive a C7 Z06.

2016 LZ1 with auto trans and only 380 miles. Previous owner traded it for a new Challenger Hellcat. He owned the Z for about 18 months and was having some difficulty getting in and out due to a disability. So I was “invited” to give it a test drive, as the local dealership knows I own a 2013 Z and thought I may be interested. The only option aside from the auto trans was painted black calipers for 6 hundred bucks. Wow…who would pay this much for that option!

The additional torque is very noticeable, as it really pushes you back into the seat. The seat bolsters were snug for me at 6’ 190 pounds. The car handled very well for the limited time I drove it. Cornered like it was on rails. I felt a little bit disconnected with the auto trans, even though I used the paddle shifters. However, it’s probably something I could get used to over time. I don’t know whether the exhaust was set for track or sport mode, but it was louder than my 13 Z, and keep in mind that the 11-13 Z’s are louder than earlier Z’s. I liked the sound of my car more when the flaps are open (and that’s most of the time).

The car is listed at $69,995. I liked it, but I didn’t buy it. I’m still undecided because the C6 Z is a great car.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

The C6Z just looks so much more sleek and hunkered down. I still can't get used to the contrasting plastic pieces of the C7Z - the fender flares by the wheels, all the vents, the big bass mouth grill, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think the C7Z is a monster in terms of performance, but ehhh, I have a hard time just looking at the thing...
Old 04-19-2017, 11:03 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Your Z looks better.....
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree that there are too many plastic pieces mounted on the new C7's. Nice car if they can make it flow better for the eye. The C6 maybe a bit older in design, but it flows nicely and it looks great still. And it's sounds better too.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would not buy an automatic, but that's just me.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Did it really feel a lot faster than your C6Z? No question that the massive amount of torque is going to be felt. The LS7 doesn't have that kind of torque, but has the pull up top. I would agree with the other thread that I just can't get past the looks of the car. It's sharp, but compared to the C6Z, there is so much going on - it's very aggressive looking, whereas the C6Z has all the right curves. $69K is a lot of coin. No question that our C6Zs are a great budget alternative. Granted, the new car has a lot of improvements and the LT4 is a monster motor. Tough call. And then there is the C6 ZR1 as the other option.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Good price, but if its me...Nope. I have no issues waiting for the C8 to come.
The following users liked this post:
Crossofiron (04-30-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Tough call. I couldn't justify the out of pocket cost for the minimal gain in performance on the street. I do like the adjustability of the suspension settings, but that's certainly not enough to make up for the cost factor for me. When you add the cooling issues for track duty it was a deal killer. GM's handling of that problem brought back warm memories of how they handled our valve guide problem. Then there's the styling, which I'll comment on below.

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
The C6Z just looks so much more sleek and hunkered down. I still can't get used to the contrasting plastic pieces of the C7Z - the fender flares by the wheels, all the vents, the big bass mouth grill, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think the C7Z is a monster in terms of performance, but ehhh, I have a hard time just looking at the thing...
The black front fender spats alone were more than I could get past. I was very disappointed when I saw those on a display Z06 just prior to them becoming available. The black lower panel in the back and the general look of the rear just never worked for me. In fairness, I saw one in black on the road and it looked positively menacing. The spats and other black bits and pieces blended in, so they didn't detract from the shape. Having had one black car in my life, and knowing how much work it is to keep them looking good, that was never going to be an option for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Good price, but if its me...Nope. I have no issues waiting for the C8 to come.

Mid engine!!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by keeso6z
Did it really feel a lot faster than your C6Z? No question that the massive amount of torque is going to be felt. The LS7 doesn't have that kind of torque, but has the pull up top. I would agree with the other thread that I just can't get past the looks of the car. It's sharp, but compared to the C6Z, there is so much going on - it's very aggressive looking, whereas the C6Z has all the right curves. $69K is a lot of coin. No question that our C6Zs are a great budget alternative. Granted, the new car has a lot of improvements and the LT4 is a monster motor. Tough call. And then there is the C6 ZR1 as the other option.
It felt faster. However, temps were in the low 60's, and I didn't go above 90 mph. Traction was a bit of an issue too. I would have liked to run it up to 130-140 but that wasn't going to happen. The torque was brutal, so it felt very fast.

Afterwards while on my way home I went to an isolated road with no other cars and did a quarter mile run. I was very satisfied with the performance of my obsolete Z06. C7Z or C6Z, they are both great cars.
DPW_ (04-25-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Wass
C7Z or C6Z, they are both great cars
Yes they are, only ours are paid for.

At a dealer for parts I peek into showroom.
Jet black/black '17 Z06, interior red accents, M7, red caliper (yes, extra $) and every light-buzzer & bell available including something about carbon edition.
Must admit I was taken back, truly beautiful, first & only C7 to really catch my eye. It was/is sharp.
What really caught my eye was the MSRP, good grief.
$69K sounds like a bargain.

Hey at least you can now say you've driven one, A8 or not.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

It felt faster. However, temps were in the low 60's, and I didn't go above 90 mph. Traction was a bit of an issue too. I would have liked to run it up to 130-140 but that wasn't going to happen. The torque was brutal, so it felt very fast.

Afterwards while on my way home I went to an isolated road with no other cars and did a quarter mile run. I was very satisfied with the performance of my obsolete Z06. C7Z or C6Z, they are both great cars.
Yep, it's the massive torque of the LT4 that makes it feel faster, and it is faster. I have a friend who has one and he said the same thing - has trouble getting traction. Love my C6Z, but the newer model with more power is always tempting. But nice not being in debt too.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by Landru
Yes they are, only ours are paid for.

At a dealer for parts I peek into showroom.
Jet black/black '17 Z06, interior red accents, M7, red caliper (yes, extra $) and every light-buzzer & bell available including something about carbon edition.
Must admit I was taken back, truly beautiful, first & only C7 to really catch my eye. It was/is sharp.
What really caught my eye was the MSRP, good grief.
$69K sounds like a bargain.

Hey at least you can now say you've driven one, A8 or not.
Yes, I really wanted to drive one to see if it was something I just had to buy. I didn't get that feeling. Very nice, but I can wait and give it more thought.

And my car is paid for with a GMEPP warranty good until 2020.

Last edited by Wass; 04-19-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

That's a good price on the C7, but it needs to be. As soon as the new ZR1 or what ever it will be called is out, the value of the early C7Zs will take a big hit. The upcoming Zxx will have no affect on the value of a C6Z. The flaws of the first gen C7X are well known and new car will address them. It also looks like the Corvette recently lapping the Nurburgring has lost the ridiculous looking front fender flairs. Those front fenders are VERY different on the new model. With a bigger blower, the new car will look even more childish with that huge hood bulge. The new Zxx looks to be more of muscle car, and I think GM has taken notice of Dodge's success with the Hell Cat cars.

I too recently drove a new C7 Z06 with the automatic. Yes, it is very powerful. The nannies will intervene massively unless turned off. The driver compartment is pretty tight for me, but once in, I think it would be OK. Seats are nicer. Mostly, I was kind of underwhelmed. It will beat my car off the line, but as I have experienced on the track, if you exit a corner with some revs on, the C7 struggle to get past, and if the straight allows +150 mph you can hold one off unless its very well driven. That automatic is really a joke compared to the German cars and the Nissan GT-R. A friend has a new Porsche GT3 with the PDK and it isn't in the same zip code with GM auto. The Porsche PDK is light years better. I think the most impressive thing about the C7Z is the advanced tires. My car came with Goodyears, and they are stone age by comparison. Tires don't last long and we can ride on equally sticky rubber and narrow the performance gap. It's very easy to add power to the LS7, and improve the suspension without going crazy with the checkbook. I've been with my car for 8 years now and sometimes I'm looking over the fence, but not at a new Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bad_AX:
furiousox (04-23-2017), reasonable suspicion (04-21-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I test drove a 2016 z06 a8. During the short time I drove it I can say it didn't feel a lot faster especially on throttle tip in.

i liked the seats. The c7z I test drove seemed to rattle more then my c6 and had cowl shake which reminded me of my c4 zr1 which I think is attributed to the removable roof.

I am sure the c7z especially the auto is queen of the quarter mile-- but remember per car and driver road tests of the c6z in December of 2009 and the c7z in December 2014 the c6 posted a quicker zero to 150 mph time.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:07 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I think you still have the better overall car. When the C7Z first came out I had every intention of purchasing one. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it since I still love my C6Z so much. Every time I drive it I still get a really good thrill out of it...And I usually tire of cars pretty quickly!!

Plus you already have the best color!
Attached Images  
DPW_ (04-25-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The price is just ok....another 5 percent off at least...they were selling new a few months ago for the same price as your used example....sure the mileage is ridiculously low but it's still a used car selling for the exact same price as when they were new in 2016....same options...

Your right I think painted brake calibers for $600 is ridiculous too...

Not sure I'd recommend an automatic corvette unless that's something you really wanted...traditionally it's not as engaging to drive and over time....owners who used to drive manuals, but settled for a "good deal" on an automatic car....tend to regret settling...

I might buy my next corvette with an automatic....after 40 years of driving a manual....but I'm holding off...I realize technically the automatics accelerate quicker...than I can shift a manual....but......right now...who cares....lol I'll keep driving a manual for a little while longer...

A DCT would make the decision a slam dunk....these torque converter automatics are just as quick as a DCT....but they feel more traditional during the driving experience...

The driving experience of a DCT more closely mimics that of a manual transmission....just without a clutch pedal...

The torque converter automatic...is just as quick shifting itself up through the gears....and although sownshifts are slightly delayed...for the most part downshift times are really less critical on lap times....but the driving experience is less because of the shift time delay...less connected....your thoughts to the cars reactiveness

Enjoy your present ride

If your digging your present ride....then forget about buying the c7 z06...

There is always a newer corvette that will do something a little better...

That's why the brands celebrating its 65 th anniversary...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership called me to test drive a C7 Z06.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The real deal breaker for me on the C7Z is the property tax that has to be paid every year. The tax on my 07 is still over $500 a year. The guys buying new Z06's are paying 4.5% sales tax plus the annual property tax which runs $2500-$2,800 the first year. In 5 years they will have paid will over $10,000 in property taxes. Btw, there is no property tax on my 66 corvette. So for a car I drive 2000-2500 miles a year, I am very happy with my C6 Z06. Plus, it just looks better.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
That's a good price on the C7, but it needs to be. As soon as the new ZR1 or what ever it will be called is out, the value of the early C7Zs will take a big hit. The upcoming Zxx will have no affect on the value of a C6Z. The flaws of the first gen C7X are well known and new car will address them. It also looks like the Corvette recently lapping the Nurburgring has lost the ridiculous looking front fender flairs. Those front fenders are VERY different on the new model. With a bigger blower, the new car will look even more childish with that huge hood bulge. The new Zxx looks to be more of muscle car, and I think GM has taken notice of Dodge's success with the Hell Cat cars.

I too recently drove a new C7 Z06 with the automatic. Yes, it is very powerful. The nannies will intervene massively unless turned off. The driver compartment is pretty tight for me, but once in, I think it would be OK. Seats are nicer. Mostly, I was kind of underwhelmed. It will beat my car off the line, but as I have experienced on the track, if you exit a corner with some revs on, the C7 struggle to get past, and if the straight allows +150 mph you can hold one off unless its very well driven. That automatic is really a joke compared to the German cars and the Nissan GT-R. A friend has a new Porsche GT3 with the PDK and it isn't in the same zip code with GM auto. The Porsche PDK is light years better. I think the most impressive thing about the C7Z is the advanced tires. My car came with Goodyears, and they are stone age by comparison. Tires don't last long and we can ride on equally sticky rubber and narrow the performance gap. It's very easy to add power to the LS7, and improve the suspension without going crazy with the checkbook. I've been with my car for 8 years now and sometimes I'm looking over the fence, but not at a new Corvette.
Originally Posted by JerriVette
The price is just ok....another 5 percent off at least...they were selling new a few months ago for the same price as your used example....sure the mileage is ridiculously low but it's still a used car selling for the exact same price as when they were new in 2016....same options...

Your right I think painted brake calibers for $600 is ridiculous too...

Not sure I'd recommend an automatic corvette unless that's something you really wanted...traditionally it's not as engaging to drive and over time....owners who used to drive manuals, but settled for a "good deal" on an automatic car....tend to regret settling...

I might buy my next corvette with an automatic....after 40 years of driving a manual....but I'm holding off...I realize technically the automatics accelerate quicker...than I can shift a manual....but......right now...who cares....lol I'll keep driving a manual for a little while longer...

A DCT would make the decision a slam dunk....these torque converter automatics are just as quick as a DCT....but they feel more traditional during the driving experience...

The driving experience of a DCT more closely mimics that of a manual transmission....just without a clutch pedal...

The torque converter automatic...is just as quick shifting itself up through the gears....and although sownshifts are slightly delayed...for the most part downshift times are really less critical on lap times....but the driving experience is less because of the shift time delay...less connected....your thoughts to the cars reactiveness

Enjoy your present ride

If your digging your present ride....then forget about buying the c7 z06...

There is always a newer corvette that will do something a little better...

That's why the brands celebrating its 65 th anniversary...

My daily driver is a 2016 VW GTI (AKA "Hot Hatch") with a dual clutch transmission. I feel more connected to this car than I did with the C7 while using the paddle shifters. If anyone is looking for a great all around hatch back as a DD check out the Golf GTI with performance package or the Golf R.

Last edited by Wass; 04-20-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Your car is gorgeous! Between those two I would definitely keep yours.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealership called me to test drive a C7 Z06.