C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Top Flight Judging a Car more then 1 time

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default NCRS Top Flight Judging a Car more then 1 time

I understand why someone would have there car judged and hoping to get a NCRS Top Flight because it shows the car is pretty much like it was when it rolled off the dealers lot when it was sold. BUT my question is I have seen many Corvettes that have 2 or 3 or maybe as many as 5 or 6 Top Flight Awards why? Did the owner forget he had the car judged before? I would think that if the owner had his car judged 2 or 3 times and it still scored Top Flight why would you want to have it judged several more times? Just to see if it still comes up with the same score or trying to show off to his buddies or just likes pissing away money on having it judged? I know that no 2 judges come up with the same score on a car, everyone is a little different and one judge may judge something different the another judge may but to have a car judged 5 or 6 times sounds kind of silly to me. so my question is Why do owners have there car judged more the 1 time or hell more the 4 times?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Increase their point score. E.g. A 98% TF is deemed better than a 96% TF. No mystery at all.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

1. Top Flight Chapter Award
2. Top Flight Regional Award
3. Top Flight National Award
(Above is a natural progression..........)
4. Top Flight Performance Verification
5. Top Flight Duntov (or McLellan or Hill depending on year)...also called NCRS Mark of Excellence
6. Possibly NCRS BowTie Award for Originality if car deserves it

Larry
Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

And some owners of high point national cars are kind enough to allow their cars to be judged again at the regional or chapter level as a training tool for new judges.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Mike,
It seems you've got a real problem with NCRS (citing this post and several others). The above referenced reasons are some of the very good reasons we NCRS types get our cars judged over and over again
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MCMLXI
And some owners of high point national cars are kind enough to allow their cars to be judged again at the regional or chapter level as a training tool for new judges.
Yes, I remember judging a 5 star bowtie car at one of our Louisiana Chapter meets. Made it pretty easy for the judges..............no deducts on ORGINALITY and just a few deducts on CONDITION.

I learned a lot that day.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
MCMLXI (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

With just one measly Regional Top Flight (earlier this month in Laughlin) to it's credit, I'm all excited and hoping to someday rack up a National TF with my '65. Maybe next summer in Vegas
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Mike,
It seems you've got a real problem with NCRS (citing this post and several others). The above referenced reasons are some of the very good reasons we NCRS types get our cars judged over and over again
I see now and then where someone is selling there car and they say it has 3 or 4 or more Top Flight Awards and all I did or am doing is trying to find out why someone would have there car judged so many times. Is that having problem with the NCRS??? I don't think so. For the ones of you who replied and explained why people have there car judged Top Flight more the one time thank you I did not know why

Last edited by Mike Terry; 04-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Well, its supposed to be a club, where members use their cars as an excuse to meet people, go places, do different things. All of those things occur when you have your car judged. It's perfectly understandable how a guy might do it a few times for fun.

If you look at it strictly for a re-sale, money-making, or "look what I've got" standpoint, it makes no sense. Somewhere, NCRS got thrust into the midst of all this money-making crap, and judged for what the market thinks the club should do, rather than what it was intended to be and what it is to many members.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 PM
skeew
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default TF judging

My son got his 62 Top Flighted a few years ago at Frisco

No need to display the ribbon....Just a look at the car...you'll know

Lots of work & $$$ to get there and fun to have it judged
Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Well, my '65 has six Top Flights.....three Regionals from the last owner ('90 to '98) and three that I have gotten since owning it (one Chapter, one Regional and one National). The '65 also has an AACA Senior and a VCCA Senior as well as an AACA Preservation Award. I wanted to achieve the last three progressive Top Flights on my own and got it to the National level (Bowling Green 2000). The AACA and VCCA awards were also a goal....and with meets in our Southeastern area, they were obtainable without having to trailer the car....I drove it to all these events. Why do it? For the challenge, for the fun, to learn more about the car and hobby and finally for the fellowship. I have not done NCRS meets with the car since 2000. Now, I drive it and enjoy it at club events and cruise ins. Hey, its a hobby.....why do folks go out and play 18 holes of golf at the same golf course over and over. Same concept I'd bet.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

One regional was enough for me ... the split window took a 93% Second Flight. Got it out of my system. Still an NCRS member but don't feel the need to chase any more ribbons...

I love the originality, not the politics, and having a 63 is particularly challenging due to personalities and poor documentation.... Nuff Sed....

Members with a trailer queen have a fairly easy go of it, making the changes per the judging sheet deducts to bump their car ever higher without the deterioration that comes from actually driving the car....

If that's your bag -- its fine with me.....that's not why I have my car though..

I'll futz around at swap meets and online to find the correct 095 headlight switch or spend bucks to restore an original console....I could care less if it gets a "happy face" on a judging sheet at this point...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-21-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

So let me ask a basic question: It appears the way these "Top Flight" awards go there is a higher merit to the national awards over the regional "Top Flight" award. Why? They are all using the same judging guide and standard are they not? This devalues the award if all "Top Flight" awards are not viewed as being equal. I am curious in the response to this question.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I understand why someone would have there car judged and hoping to get a NCRS Top Flight because it shows the car is pretty much like it was when it rolled off the dealers lot when it was sold. BUT my question is I have seen many Corvettes that have 2 or 3 or maybe as many as 5 or 6 Top Flight Awards why? Did the owner forget he had the car judged before? I would think that if the owner had his car judged 2 or 3 times and it still scored Top Flight why would you want to have it judged several more times? Just to see if it still comes up with the same score or trying to show off to his buddies or just likes pissing away money on having it judged? I know that no 2 judges come up with the same score on a car, everyone is a little different and one judge may judge something different the another judge may but to have a car judged 5 or 6 times sounds kind of silly to me. so my question is Why do owners have there car judged more the 1 time or hell more the 4 times?
OCD
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
So let me ask a basic question: It appears the way these "Top Flight" awards go there is a higher merit to the national awards over the regional "Top Flight" award. Why? They are all using the same judging guide and standard are they not? This devalues the award if all "Top Flight" awards are not viewed as being equal. I am curious in the response to this question.
Because (generally speaking) the judges at the regional and national events are more experienced/knowledgeable than those at a chapter judging event. Consequently a national top flight award is looked upon as more prestigious than a regional or chapter. I have been out of NCRS for a while, but I believe it also used to be that you had to have a chapter judging before attending a regional or national.

Charles
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Another reason not mentioned yet is that new issues of judging manuals are produced.

Judged items are added, some items are changed, some items are corrected from previous editions..

So, many like to get a TF award with the latest edition of the judging guide.

A JG from back in the 1980's is about 1/4 as thick as a current JG.

Lots has been added.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Well, its supposed to be a club, where members use their cars as an excuse to meet people, go places, do different things. All of those things occur when you have your car judged. It's perfectly understandable how a guy might do it a few times for fun.
+1, my main motivation is having fun by bringing a car to be judged, and to judge others cars. Both involve meeting old friends, making new ones, and having a venue to be immersed in your hobby, which since I am retired, takes up much of my time.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Top Flight Judging a Car more then 1 time

Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Used car flippers buy a junk car and dummy it up, get a TF at a chapter event and then flip the car. The victim, er, new owner takes it to a Regional or National event and gets hammered.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-21-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

How about bragging rights, egos, and money they don't know how to spend ?
Like engine stamping, NCRS paperwork can be duplicated. Good condition sells itself without paying for a report.
Why do you think they are opening up their shields to include restomods & drivers ???????
For the good of the hobby, recognition, or the flowing dollars.
I would compare it to a party. Some appear in jeans, shorts, suits, and tux's. I would prefer to be the guy in jeans NOT looking for special attention. No doubt, there is a hat for everyone.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Take it or leave it all NCRS documents state explicitly that their judging regimen is not a means to establish an individual car's value... When that happens its on the car buyers and sellers. Somebody buying a 'junk' car and "dummying it up" to get a TF to sell it will be underwater faster than you can say "bad investment" in 90% of the cases...

This is so much more fun that that transmission oil thread! So far...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-21-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: NCRS Top Flight Judging a Car more then 1 time