C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Callaway C7 just in. Paint Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts
Default New Callaway C7 just in. Paint Problems!!

My new callaway stingray just came in with minor scratches/scrapes and 3 very small bubbles in the paint. It appears some small particles like a grain of sand got under the paint and caused this problem. One is under the carbon flash hood stripe. That will be left alone because of the difficulty of repair and it is not very noticeable. At body shop now trying to smooth these defects out. Also there were small metal filings on top of the body and in some seams that were easily removed. Salesman said many cars come in with these little particles under the paint. But so far no one has complained. We've talked about orange peel in the paint but these small particle defects are disturbing and should not happen in a vihicle like this. Has anyone seen this problem. ??
Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Did you take any pictures of the defects up close?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

No I didnt
Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Paint problems seem to be common with corvettes since the day they started painting them in 1953. All of my corvettes have had some type of the aforementioned paint problems. Maybe a new paint shop will help.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM
RipcordZ51
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

yes, and they drive me nuts but not enough to have the stripes and XPEL removed. I'm just living with it!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

I spent several hours washing, claying, polishing, and sealing my car last weekend and while there is some orange peel I did not see any metal filings and I am 100% sure I would have noticed since I used extra lights to highlight areas of the car where I needed to polish.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I also noticed that the paint was so soft if I very lightly ran my finger down it would put fine scratches in the paint. Does the paint have to cure more to become harder. If this is true I believe I shouldn't wax it until it's fully cured. But then if they baked it at factory it shouldn't need more time to cure. Any Ideas?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel like the C7 paint is more fragile then my C5 that didn't need xpel and still stood up years later.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Profit
I feel like the C7 paint is more fragile then my C5 that didn't need xpel and still stood up years later.
I think your abolutely correct about that... had my C6 for 8 years and no stone chips, after one season with my C7, i have 2 chips. Somethimes that's luck of the draw but the paint seems very soft... Evironmentally friendly = crappy... Same with any environmentally friendly cleaning products.. it means the don't work and you pay double for that privilege!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
I also noticed that the paint was so soft if I very lightly ran my finger down it would put fine scratches in the paint. Does the paint have to cure more to become harder. If this is true I believe I shouldn't wax it until it's fully cured. But then if they baked it at factory it shouldn't need more time to cure. Any Ideas?
When was your car made? I am assuming Callaway had it for some time after it came off the line.

This almost sounds like your car got repainted to me. I don't think your paint should be this soft. You should look into nanocoating from a good detailer near you. It will help protect your paint and keep it looking nice and new.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:36 PM
03 SILVER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Profit
I totally agree with Profit. My C5 is still in great shape but every time I look at my C7 I find more scratches and swirls. I have applied 3M PRO on front bumper and other vulnerable areas. Will evaluate the benefits of PPF at the end of my driving season.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Don't believe it was repainted. Built about 1 month ago. I don't believe in those aftermarket pain protectors. I paid $800 for Cilajet paint protector. They advertised it's same finish used to coat air planes. 1 year later it looks no difference than my other cars without it.

Last edited by Bondojohn; 04-21-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
When was your car made? I am assuming Callaway had it for some time after it came off the line.

This almost sounds like your car got repainted to me. I don't think your paint should be this soft. You should look into nanocoating from a good detailer near you. It will help protect your paint and keep it looking nice and new.
I agree. No paint should be that soft
Old 04-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

• Chevy Corvette sprayed the car and there responsible. I did something very stupid. I already paid for the car with the understanding that it would be no problem to fix the paint. Now if dealer can't fix the tiny bubbles I'm stuck. I can't tell him I'm not excepting the car. He may want to respray the whole fender to fix it. I would not want him to do this on a new car. But I shouldn't jump to conclusions until I see what he does. He won't get to it till Mon or Tues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I just put a phone call in to Chevrolet and complained about the bubbles under my paint on the new vette. It's beyond belief they could let that car out of the plant with these paint defects. I probably shouldn't have accepted delivery in the first place.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
I just put a phone call in to Chevrolet and complained about the bubbles under my paint on the new vette. It's beyond belief they could let that car out of the plant with these paint defects. I probably shouldn't have accepted delivery in the first place.
When you say bubbles in the paint are you sure it is not orange peel?

See this page for some examples:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oing-on-7.html

Not to be debbie downer, but if it is orange peel this is pretty common on most cars, but especially Corvette, and there are things you can do to minimize it, but I doubt even a replacement car would look much better.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I know the difference between orange peel and bubbles. I used to paint cars. This is something that got under the paint like a little fine pebble. The Guy that I talk to a Chevy didn't seem to know too much. Does anybody know of a better source to complain about the defect in this pain. paint.

Get notified of new replies

To New Callaway C7 just in. Paint Problems!!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine came with two very small bubbles on the decklid. The dealer's body shop manager agreed it was from the factory, said he would address it, but also advised the fix would undoubtedly be worse than the issue - best to leave it alone, which I have done.
BTW, we have two Lexus', and I have had three BMW's - none of which had paint problems, and two of which cost less than the C7. However, I had read about these issues before buying the car, and am completely satisfied with my decision to do so. Stone chips will also happen - those are the breaks.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

The body shop mgr assured me it would be a perfict rempair. I would not be able to notice anything was done once finished. I'll just have to trust him and see what happens.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Didn't GM invest a ton of money to upgrade/build a new paint facility for the C7's?

Quick Reply: New Callaway C7 just in. Paint Problems!!