C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rock chip question with splash guards/skirts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts
Default Rock chip question with splash guards/skirts

What kind of rock chip issues will I be looking at if I don't do xpel but I have the front ACS splash guards and the rear GM splash guards on my ZO6. I'm just trying to cut down on the cost of xpel products and looking at just doing the front bumper, Hood and brake duct area/rear 1/4 panel what do you guys think?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
What kind of rock chip issues will I be looking at if I don't do xpel but I have the front ACS splash guards and the rear GM splash guards on my ZO6. I'm just trying to cut down on the cost of xpel products and looking at just doing the front bumper, Hood and brake duct area/rear 1/4 panel what do you guys think?
I have an Aero 2 car. At one year of daily driving I have zero chips other than my front bumper. Part of my commute has been repaved and the rocks sounded like hail off my wheels. I expected chips but the Aero2 skirts seem to really block the rocks.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:10 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I installed the ACS Z06 side skirts, which virtually elimated any debris hitting the rear brake ducts and quarters.

Just to be safe, I added Xpell to the those area, however, I have yet to hear or see any impact...

I also have the GM splash guards, but they're useless.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I have ACS fronts, GM rears and the side skirts the car came with on a Z06 2017 model.

After quite a few trips over loose gravel roads there are no paint chips anywhere. When driving over these roads I can hear the stones bouncing off the underside of the skirts and inside the fender wells but none make it to the painted surfaces.

All the horror stories seem to pertain to those cars without the side skirts. Both GS and Z06/Z07/GS 2017 models come with the side skirts and a front splitter inside the car from the factory. These pieces are installed at the dealer prior to delivery if you desire.

In my case I was hesitant to have the splitter installed due to the approach angle of my driveway. After bringing the car home I concluded the splitter was not a problem and the dealer installed it at the 500 mile oil change.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 04-21-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

2 years with aero II package no chips.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I have about 4400 miles on mine with the full length side skirts and no splash guards. The roads in my area are pretty good and I have only had to drive in the rain on a few occasions. No chips so far, but I have to admit I worry every time I drive over loose gravel and hear it pelting the underside of the car.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

This is the new car on the ring.

For any owner saying they have no sandblasting of the rear quarter panels youre not looking hard enough cause theyre getting pounded.

You see the front tire sticking way out beyond the curved lower front fender. Thats whats doing it. Even with any side skirt they make.

Certain colors it isn't as noticable as others for some time. But give it some time certain angle and lighting and your world will be blown away by the damage those front tires inflict.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

^^^ I just detailed my Z yesterday... and closely examined it. No "sandblasting."

I see what you're saying, and have seen other related posts, but from my own personal experience the side skirts have virtually eliminated debris hitting the rear brake ducts and quarters.

Last edited by sTz; 04-21-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ I just detailed my Z yesterday... and closely examined it. No "sandblasting."

I see what you're saying, and have seen other related posts, but from my own personal experience the side skirts have virtually eliminated debris hitting the rear brake ducts and quarters.
congrats. Cause you're one in a million.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz

Try looking at your paint in a dark garage with a light at a angle at the rear quarters. I think you might be surprised to see nicks in the clear coat.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Without Xpel all over, you're dead in the water. It's only a matter of time, not if, but when. I have ACS parts and splash guards all over the car, as well as Xpel. The rear brake duct area is full of impurities in the Xpel now. This car is a chip/ sand/ rock magnet.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Thanks! I hear that a lot
Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I have tested pretty much every configuration, including the truck mud guards that look horrible. The truck mud guards provide the most complete, superior protection. I just honestly can't stand the look so I immediately ripped them off and trashed them. So now I am running the ACS Enhanced Carbon Flash front, side skirts and GM rear, with Cleartastic on the rear fenders. Everything blends very, very well and it looks completely stock or better. ACS didn't make them wide enough, but they look good, are thin and blend seemlessly and do in fact stop a portion of the rocks. Far better than those horrible, but extremely functional truck guards. The side skirts take care of most of the rest. I also did the entire car myself in a ceramic coating. So far so good, and I examine my car very closely in a variety of lighting, including the sun, LED lights, flood lights etc. So it is working.

I do agree with C7/Z though. I think eventually some rocks will get through the maze I have built. The Cleartastic is the beginning of my last line of defense, and can be cheaply and easily replaced. Below that is the ceramic coating, which may or may not help.

The easiest, cheapest way is the truck guards. Disgusting and horrible looking, but work exactly as they should and essentially stop the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Cleartastic (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz

My 2015 Z did not have side skirts and the rear brake ducts were trashed. I ordered my 16 with side skirts and everything looks good.

Last edited by robertbruce; 04-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Hawkbarr
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

After aero 2 package, GM mud guards, ceramic coating and expel, it's still going to happen. I have all that and see it most above the rear wheel brake inlets. The widened rear fenders catch debri when the front wheels are turning and are outside the wheel well.
Anyone who claims they aren't getting it isn't driving their car, LOL. But you can take the above steps to minimize it.....
Old 04-22-2017, 12:41 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Xpel ultimate (complete car) and after market splash guards do not prevent chips around brake duct/panel area for stage 1/no side skirts, 6,500 miles. 2 chips go through Xpel and paint down to primer. Installed side skirts recently. Not enough time to determine effectiveness, but haven't noticed any new chips.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:55 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I have tested pretty much every configuration, including the truck mud guards that look horrible.

The easiest, cheapest way is the truck guards. Disgusting and horrible looking, but work exactly as they should and essentially stop the problem.
I didn't go truck guards. I went with the regular suv size ones. They cover the problem perfectly. As I've figured out exactly how wide and low to hang them. They are way thinner than the truck ones.

I've recently installed then on ny buddy's since he also disn't wamt then on his car and once he saw the damage getting done immediately succumbed to them. And after install he admitted he was being ridiculous about them detracting from the appearance as they blend in and practically disappear.

Theyre there. And unless you find yourself in the unique exact angle with lighting you never notice them.
You can see theyre there behind the frnt tire but is that so bad?
They're so thin u dont see them telling you. Not the truck ones the next size down.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-22-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rock chip question with splash guards/skirts

Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
One of two in a million I guess, because mine's OK. I have full skirts, no additional paint protection, and about 4000 miles. Looks fine to me. Granted it's Torch Red so not the most sensitive color, but it doesn't appear to be taking a beating.

I think, like windshields, it depends on a LOT on where you drive and the roads you drive on. I'm in Seattle so I only drive when it's sunny, which is usually in between heavy rains that wash away all of the "sand" and small debris, which I think helps a lot.

I'm not saying there's ZERO damage, but there's so little that I wouldn't worry about it. Others might, to each their own.

Last edited by davepl; 04-22-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Cleartastic
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05, '15-'16-'17

Here are some easy DIY kits to help those vulnerable areas

All Cleartastic kits are
* Invisible Once Applied!
* Self Healing Characteristics! Small Marks & Scratches,Vanish Over Time!
* Pre-cut & Specifically Designed to Easily Apply in Minutes!
* Outstanding Protection! Withstand Rocks, Road Debris & Human Abuse
* One Time Application Provides Years & Years of Protection.
* Great For Racing Conditions & Everyday Driving

Zo6 Rear Fender Protection.

Your C7 Z06's rear fenders protrude out and are vulnerable to getting hit by rocks and road debris regardless if you have splash guards or not..
Check it out here: http://store.cleartastic.com/clinuprefefl.html

Z06, GS Cleartastic Plus Rocker, Brake Duct & door Paint Protection

Protects far more then the factory pieces!
The ENTIRE brake duct area, the leading brake duct edge & under the door.
Your Vette comes from the factory with only half of the panels covered! Not only will your paint get chipped but over time you will have an unsightly line (where their film ends) running right down the middle of your panel!
Check it out here: http://store.cleartastic.com/clplrobrdudo.html

..and of course Mirrors!

They are out there and they will get peppered

Check it out here: http://store.cleartastic.com/c7clplmipapr.html

Number 1 "Do It Yourself" Protection Kits Since 1996

*Serving The Corvette Forum Members For 20 Years!
*Invisible Once Applied
*Tough As Nails Protection
*Saves You Time, Money & Of Course Your Paint
*Proudly Made In The USA
CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE! http://www.cleartastic.com

Last edited by Cleartastic; 04-22-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Simple way to really check for chipping, run your hand over that area & you will feel the nicks (if there). Traded a couple of Vettes w/chip damage (pretty bad) & got no comment from dealers about them or getting a lower value. I think "they" know the problem for the most part & fix before resale or don't know enough to look for them when trading.

Quick Reply: Rock chip question with splash guards/skirts