Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Is your road noise on the highway bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Is your road noise on the highway bad?

Mine has always been loud in the 9 years I've owned it. Some is windnoise from the failing weather seals. I have new ones and replaced the drivers door seal but it wasn't a great fit (aftermarket from Wilcox I believe). Haven't got to the other seals yet.

However, most of what I hear is tire noise. I have replica C5 z06 wheels with 275 front and 295 rear. The front tires sound very loud to me. At least I think that is them. To hold a conversation in the car at 70 mph you have to speak pretty loudly.

Are your cars cars like this? Is it the semi cheap tires I bought the likely culprit?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 PM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is noisy with 275/35/18 all the way around. I've had it for 28 years and it was loud with the original 255/50/16's on it.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:53 PM
DriveV8Faster
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

My recently purchased 92 with 275/40/17 all around has a lot of "tire noise" although I'm still not 100% sure if thats the culprit(almost sounds like a wheel bearing or gear whine). Don't have much experience with these kinda sounds, as my other vehicles were all very quiet(no sports cars).

Last edited by DriveV8Faster; 04-22-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Sometimes a wheel bearing noise will go away when you saw the steering wheel back & forth.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Mine doesn't seem any louder then any other car that i've been in as far as road noise, the wind noise from the weather stripping on the passenger side past 65 mph is very noticeable.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Mine has always been loud in the 9 years I've owned it. Some is windnoise from the failing weather seals. I have new ones and replaced the drivers door seal but it wasn't a great fit (aftermarket from Wilcox I believe). Haven't got to the other seals yet.

However, most of what I hear is tire noise. I have replica C5 z06 wheels with 275 front and 295 rear. The front tires sound very loud to me. At least I think that is them. To hold a conversation in the car at 70 mph you have to speak pretty loudly.

Are your cars cars like this? Is it the semi cheap tires I bought the likely culprit?
I didn't think mine was overly loud in the cabin, then I replaced the tires. Worn out tires make a huge difference.

later, tiny
Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Wet weather tires with large blocks on the tread are noisy on the highway, a lot of modern tires have changed their tread to have pretty much a few straight unbroken tread around the tire.
That makes them quieter on the highway, will try some of that type soon.
The highway tire noise does irritate me on a long drive, no where near as quiet as a modern car. However there are horses for courses, small width tires do not have the same road holding.

I prefer to be able to use tires with wide grooves to disperse water, i like to drive my vette rain or shine.
She sticks to the road like glue wet or dry, i wont make too much compromise for a quieter ride. The tire has to be able to disperse the water during heavy rain at highway speed, what is the point if its quiet but you cannot drive it with confidence when it rains.

My weatherstrips are fairly new and i do not have any wind noise, the convertible mirror mounted deflectors work quite good on my coupe.
You can see how they work by putting the window down, not much air comes in so no good if your a/c doesn't work.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:02 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I've been driving with the roof off since this Month started. So for now, I'll say it is loud But I am in a Vette(very happy to be), so it doesn't bother me. If I was in a Rolls Royce or something, yeah i'd like it quiet.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 AM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Since I have replaced the roof panel and A-pillar weatherstrip, it's no louder than any other car I drive/have driven.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:51 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I've been driving with the roof off since this Month started. So for now, I'll say it is loud But I am in a Vette(very happy to be), so it doesn't bother me. If I was in a Rolls Royce or something, yeah i'd like it quiet.
Well said
Old 04-23-2017, 02:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

cheap tires maybe. Sometimes you get whats called trammeling
Gotten it from a number of new tires over the last few yrs both cheap and expensive brands. Youd think if you pay more-
Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Well said
Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I have stock exhaust and still most of the cabin noise is from engine rumble, regardless of speed. It is too loud for a cell phone conversation but fine for talking with the passenger.

Also have new Conti DW tires and there is a bit of tire noise but not much... pretty reasonable considering the section width
Old 04-24-2017, 02:17 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Thanks for the responses.

I can say with confidence that the noise is not the engine. I have short tubes, x pipe, no resonator, stock mufflers. Very civil. Also, I can put it in neutral, drop the revs to idle and the noise doesn't change. I do have some wind noise but what I'm hearing is a continuous howl that I believe is the tires. It becomes noticeable over 65 but doesn't get much, if any, louder if I go faster. Car was aligned (4 wheel, 1 week ago).

I know it is not wheel bearings. I know what that sounds like and this is not it. The rear wheels bearings are Timken with maybe 1000 miles on them. Front are original (to my knowledge). I rebuilt the entire suspension this winter which included bearing assessment, they feel fine.

I'm pretty sure it is the front tires, which is unfortunate as they hardly have any wear. I believe I put them on in 2010. The rear tires are a different make (BFG KDW 2) and I believe a better tire. Noise appears to be from the front but may be deceiving.

I'm most likely going to do nothing about it. I can't justify replacing unworn tires on a car that sees hardly any miles.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I'm pretty sure it is the front tires, which is unfortunate as they hardly have any wear. I believe I put them on in 2010. The rear tires are a different make (BFG KDW 2) and I believe a better tire. Noise appears to be from the front but may be deceiving.

I'm most likely going to do nothing about it. I can't justify replacing unworn tires on a car that sees hardly any miles.
6 months ago I got rid of tires that had lots of tread remaining. The issue wasn't treadwear, the issue was age, they were 10 years old. Your tires at 7 years may not be dried up but don't let them go too long. Maybe the car doesn't see a lot of miles, but if the old tires decide to let go at highway speeds, the fenders can be destroyed. Not worth the risk IMHO.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Here is something that might help..
The Blockit "Quick & Quiet" mats. Just toss them in and go. Helps with tire/road and some exhaust noise.

Reduce interior noise in SECONDS by simply dropping in the pre cut BLOCKIT sound deadening mats right over your existing carpet! No Adhesive!
This is NOT a thin single layer mat.
The BLOCKIT is a unique 4 infused layered combination of real acoustical soundproofing which measures 1" thick! It's patent pending design absorbs and suppresses unpleasant sounds that leak into your C4's cabin. It’s perfect for taking that annoying edge off tire / road noise & some aftermarket exhausts in your coupe. NO need to rip out your carpet & interior! The precision pre cut BLOCKIT Sound Deadening System lays right over your carpet!

There are literally 100's of positive post through out the forum.

Read more about it!
http://www.tkoperformance.com/84-96-...nds_p_710.html
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_116 (08-28-2020)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Originally Posted by DGXR
6 months ago I got rid of tires that had lots of tread remaining. The issue wasn't treadwear, the issue was age, they were 10 years old. Your tires at 7 years may not be dried up but don't let them go too long. Maybe the car doesn't see a lot of miles, but if the old tires decide to let go at highway speeds, the fenders can be destroyed. Not worth the risk IMHO.
I agree to an extent. The tires do appear to be in superb shape and at 7 I'm not quite ready to replace them. Certainly by or at 10yrs.

A friends father has a low mile 92 and talks about the car having its original tires. Not a show car garage queen either. This car sees miles. Yes, he drives on 25 year old tires! I wouldn't want to be in or near that car in motion! That is more than asking for trouble!

Get notified of new replies

To Is your road noise on the highway bad?

Quick Reply: Is your road noise on the highway bad?