C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC options

Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC options

1975 coupe. With Z28 motor.

Car had a/c

All original AC stuff is still in the car EXCEPT the compressor.

I would like to have working AC again, given I'm in Florida.

What to do? Fix or start over?

What options are there??

Thanks,

Len.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just a guess at what parts you'll need. The evaporator and condenser are aluminum, as is just about everything in the system. Left open, the moisture in the air reacts with the inside openings in just about the whole system. At a minimum, you need to flush the system and pressure test it all- hoses and the works. Then fix any leaks, replace the VIR(?) or expansion valve, and get a new compressor. All that, and it's not really compatible with R-134, which is the current refrigerant. It will work but not as efficiently as a system designed for it.
And past that, by the time you've gone thru all of the above, you might be able to score either a Vintage Air or a Classic Air system that will build in R-134 capability for less cash.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Just a guess at what parts you'll need. The evaporator and condenser are aluminum, as is just about everything in the system. Left open, the moisture in the air reacts with the inside openings in just about the whole system. At a minimum, you need to flush the system and pressure test it all- hoses and the works. Then fix any leaks, replace the VIR(?) or expansion valve, and get a new compressor. All that, and it's not really compatible with R-134, which is the current refrigerant. It will work but not as efficiently as a system designed for it.
And past that, by the time you've gone thru all of the above, you might be able to score either a Vintage Air or a Classic Air system that will build in R-134 capability for less cash.

Your standard equipment VIR system was neither very good or reliable. Time has not improved it. Your choices are either Classic Air or Vintage Air (which I prefer) OR replacing all of your innards with a 78 and up orifice AC system. Either way, your costs ( and effort) will be about the same (perhaps more with the 78 up orifice system).

Which ever way you go, you may be able to save yourself something by using one of the new replacement aluminum A6 compressors which will use your existing A6 mounting brackets (If brackets are missing, use a Sanden 508 for sure. It is far less bulky and draws less power from the engine).
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM
lsintampa
Instructor

Thanks,

Makes more sense to me to replace rather than repair and then chase down issues.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by lsintampa
...I'm in Florida...
Take the car to any automotive AC shop and ask for advice. You may need nothing more than a rebuilt A6 compressor and a system check and fill.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rotonda

Your standard equipment VIR system was neither very good or reliable. Time has not improved it. Your choices are either Classic Air or Vintage Air (which I prefer) OR replacing all of your innards with a 78 and up orifice AC system. Either way, your costs ( and effort) will be about the same (perhaps more with the 78 up orifice system).

Which ever way you go, you may be able to save yourself something by using one of the new replacement aluminum A6 compressors which will use your existing A6 mounting brackets (If brackets are missing, use a Sanden 508 for sure. It is far less bulky and draws less power from the engine).
Curious why you prefer Vintage Air over Classic Air????
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 AM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the Standard GM A/C system. The problem is the car! I read a book(Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette, Written especially for the A/C illiterate. Michael J Davis...........Prestige Publishing, Automotive Publications
Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 AM
lsintampa
Instructor

Well the condenser being at an angle and in front of the radiator - doesn't help.

BUT, new condensers are more efficient.. so there is something to be said about upgrading.

All things being equal, were you just to replace the condenser, it would be noticeable. The function of the AC is to REMOVE heat - not produce cold.

I'm torn between Classic and Vintage as replacements. Vintage keeps the original "look" and Classic (from what I've learned) replaces the control panel with their own unit.

Still pondering my options...
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel542
There is nothing wrong with the Standard GM A/C system. The problem is the car! I read a book(Air Conditioning Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette, Written especially for the A/C illiterate. Michael J Davis...........Prestige Publishing, Automotive Publications
An A/Csystem is designed around the refrigerant
C-3 system is designed for R-12..
If you change to R-134a, the condenser should be changed from a serpentine to a cross flow type, because that is what it requires.
R-134a uses about 20%less freon, so the system capacity is lower, and operates with a different orifice tube and pressure switch, uses different hoses since the molecules are smaller and leak out stock hoses, and the system must be flushed and uses different seals.
I tried it, and it sucked. Went back to R-12. Much better cooling.
I tried R-134a in the 81. It sucked. Went back to R-12. Much better cooling. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 04-25-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lsintampa
Curious why you prefer Vintage Air over Classic Air????
I prefer it because it completely does away with vacuum controls. Also, I installed mine into a 77 so there was no kit. (I have completely done away with vacuum in my 77 - except for power brakes, and I am considering hydro-boost. Vacuum controls are UGLY.)

Vintage Air can supply a 3 **** electric control that made my conversion much simpler.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:50 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rotonda
I prefer it because it completely does away with vacuum controls. Also, I installed mine into a 77 so there was no kit. (I have completely done away with vacuum in my 77 - except for power brakes, and I am considering hydro-boost. Vacuum controls are UGLY.)

Vintage Air can supply a 3 **** electric control that made my conversion much simpler.
Thanks!

Vintage was what I came down to for my application. I wanted to maintain the original look, keeping the same outlets and especially the controls. Classic replaces the center console control unit, and I don't like the look. Maybe silly, but I do want to keep the interior as close to original looking as possible.

Last edited by lsintampa; 04-26-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To AC options

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC options