C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Carbon Fiber top

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber top

just wondering if anyone has removed the paint and re clear coated the carbon fiber top. I work with carbon fiber for my day job and its not that big a deal to re-clear it.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:13 AM
AXIS89
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottcolem
just wondering if anyone has removed the paint and re clear coated the carbon fiber top. I work with carbon fiber for my day job and its not that big a deal to re-clear it.
How would you go about removing the paint without damaging the fiber? Or when you say reclear are you meaning epoxy?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:27 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

there are several epoxy friendly paint removers on the market. the exposed carbon gets a clear coat over it for UV protection and durability the epoxy is what bonds the different layers of the carbon together and makes it hold shape.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I have a convertible, so bear with me. I'm assuming you're talking about a -painted- CF top, and not an exposed CF top. If so...

The CF under the paint may not be visually appealing. It could have seams, overlap, and so on, just sanded flat before paint.

Remember when they do the "exposed carbon" hood stinger they use a special, one-off hood that has a dedicated piece of single, uninterrupted carbon for the stinger area. Contrast that with if you just took a normal CF hood and removed the paint from that region, you'd have no idea what you'll find underneath.

You also need some special clear additive (GM has a proprietary one but I don't know if you can buy it) to prevent it from yellowing in the sun afterwards.

So, in my opinion at least, not as easy as "Remove colored paint and clear coat it".

You mention that you work with carbon all day, so you likely COULD do this if you could laminate one piece of continuous CF on top of the existing pieces that make it up, but I'm talking out of my butt on that, I don't know much about working with CF.

Last edited by davepl; 04-23-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Scottcolem
Racer

the automotive clear has a UV protectant in it to keep the carbon degradation from happening. I had a ZL1 and on that forum a lot of the guys were taking the painted carbon fiber hood insert and removing the paint and clearing instead of dropping 2k on a new insert
Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would be curious to see if the CF weave
Pattern has waves and irregular finish since it has an intended paint grade purpose....

Anyone know for sure?

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber top

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber top