C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Z06 water leak - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:17 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Default 01 Z06 water leak - need advice

I´m almost done doing a complete built - which include removal of every panel, molding and weatherstrip for paint (more info in my built thread if needed: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2001-z06.html)

I´ve installed new a-pillar plastic moldings and even supplied 2 rows of 3M strip caulk before installation - and of course sealed all those spots that usually causes water leaks.

Doing an over spray the edge around the windows does not leak. But I have some water entering through this little area. It comes from where my finger points (runs inside the red edge) and then drips inside the interior. Does anybody have a clue where the leak can be? I would hate to take the moldings apart again - but I will do it, if thats what it takes.

I also see some water entering the doors through this little gap in front of the outside window trim. But it is attached to doors in this position, so I guess its normal - or????

Please chime in with any advice - I need to deal with these issues before moving along in my built.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WHAT are you doing on the FORUM at 4:30 in the morning??? GEEEESE!

LMAO..

Did you remove the entire roof gutter and reseal the roof/windshield/pillar joint with sealant?

That is where mine is leaking. Its a big job but,, it is one that has to be done if you what a leak free FRC/ZO6.

Bill
Old 04-23-2017, 05:20 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

LMAO..

Bill
And what are you doing up at 5:20 on a Sunday morning?
I have an excuse, I'm at work....
Old 04-23-2017, 05:48 AM
AndersT
Instructor

LMAO..

Did you remove the entire roof gutter and reseal the roof/windshield/pillar joint with sealant?

That is where mine is leaking. Its a big job but,, it is one that has to be done if you what a leak free FRC/ZO6.

Bill
Here in Denmark it´s GMT+1, so its almost noon

In my built thread post 81 you can see how I prepped the new moldings. I used the strip caulk together with the foam strip that was already installed on the new moldings. I didn´t use any other sealant - I might should have done that? But I´m not sure were the actual leak is - as this is the only spot where water is entering. All the other seals against the A-pillar, roof/window and B-pillar is not leaking?

Will you suggest that I take the moldings apart again - or is there any options to fix it? I definately want it to be leak free - as it was before my build

Anders
Old 04-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Try this:

Use blue painters tape and SEAL UP all of the drip rail, windshield trim all the way down to the base of the windshield. Then wet the car down and see if you still have the drip.

Post up the results of the tape expierement and maybe we can figure where to go next.

Bill
Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Try this:

Use blue painters tape and SEAL UP all of the drip rail, windshield trim all the way down to the base of the windshield. Then wet the car down and see if you still have the drip.

Post up the results of the tape expierement and maybe we can figure where to go next.

Bill
Great - I´ll be away for work a couple of days, but will try this method as soon as possible, and post the result.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 02:57 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Today I finally had the opportunity to perform the test for water leak. And thanks for the advice using masking tape on the a-pillar - it worked out perfect

The a-pillar had no leaks at all - but the leak was located to the corner bend of the weatherstrip (I guess I didnt use enough weatherstrip glue in that spot when they where installed).

But its nice that the reveal moldings didnt leak (I would really hate to take those apart again
Old 05-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Great Job!!!!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Is that a wrap on top?
Old 05-16-2017, 01:45 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Is that a wrap on top?
No - it´s painted (the roof is piano black and the body is Lamborghini "Rosso mars pearl")

Get notified of new replies

To 01 Z06 water leak - need advice

Quick Reply: 01 Z06 water leak - need advice