C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the Problem With This Product?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default What's the Problem With This Product?

I'm following the thread on Hella lighting. I would like to upgrade my headlights also. I'm kind of confused on what I might need to buy. I've added relays to the factory wiring and I'm using halogen replacement lamps. The lights are brighter but not as bright as expected.

I was looking at the Speed Direct kit listed in the following thread. I wondered why nobody is using this kit. Is there some reason why I should use another kit rather than this one? What is the problem with this product?

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php...mance-lighting

Last edited by Street Rat; 04-24-2017 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:14 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Your link didnt work for me. Was it meant to be this?: http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php...mance-lighting

If so, no real problem. It's just an upgraded harness with relays and some better halogen lights, unfortunately with lower performance blue globes. The harness is nothing more special than another headlight relay harness, but probably works well, and hopefully is laid out to be a nice fit for our cars. Hellas likely will have better light output than the lights provided. You will get better light output from some high output bulbs that are not blue.

If you really want great lights, contact Daniel Stern, his prices are very good and he knows the best products on the ever changing market. He'll give you the reasons scientifically rather than based on subjective opinion. The best option for your high/low bulbs at the moment are the jw speaker 5.75" LED lights (8630), but they're not cheap. I'm in the process of ordering a pair of these and a pair of halogen Cibie or Koito high beams from Daniel Stern myself.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 04-24-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Your link didnt work for me. Was it meant to be this?: http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php...mance-lighting

If so, no real problem. It's just an upgraded harness with relays and some better halogen lights, unfortunately with lower performance blue globes. The harness is nothing more special than another headlight relay harness, but probably works well, and hopefully is laid out to be a nice fit for put cars. Hellas likely will have better light output than the lights provided. You will get better light output from some high output bulbs that are not blue.

If you really want great lights, contact Daniel Stern, his prices are very good and he knows the best products on the ever changing market. He'll give you the reasons scientifically rather than based on subjective opinion. The best option for your high/low bulbs at the moment are the jw speaker 5.75" LED lights (8630), but they're not cheap. I'm in the process of ordering a pair of these and a pair of halogen Cibie or Koito high beams from Daniel Stern myself.
I don't want ANY blue lights! I hate those things.
Do I have to upgrade the harness to use the 8630 bulbs?
How about the headlight buckets? Do I need to modify those also?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I don't want ANY blue lights! I hate those things.
Good! Blue tinted halogen bulbs decrease effective light output while increasing glare... Making people subjectively think that they are brighter when actually they can see less.
Do I have to upgrade the harness to use the 8630 bulbs?
Nope, won't make any difference, as they're LED. However, if you want to improve the high beams in your inner lights as well then you will probably want to upgrade the harness for them - I don't believe there's a suitable high beam only LED lamp available. You will get an improvement to high beam vision just from fitting the 8630s though, which may be enough to make you happy.
How about the headlight buckets? Do I need to modify those also?
Can't answer that yet - I won't have them in my hands for a month or so - the lights for RHD/LHT (we drive on the other side of the road here in Australia) are a special order, and then I have to wait for shipping. If you ask JW Speaker or Daniel Stern then they may be able to help you, or there's detailed dimensioned drawings on the JW Speaker website if you want to measure it yourself. Here is the page for these lights, if you open the specification sheet link on the page here it has detailed pictures and measurements.: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/l...630-evolution/

Get notified of new replies

To What's the Problem With This Product?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the Problem With This Product?