Sponsored by:

Bushes, bugs, and trees. Oh my!

Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Bushes, bugs, and trees. Oh my!

I'm looking for advice on how to best keep my just washed and waxed look as long as possible. This is about 2 things: car cover usage & which care products and methods to use.

You see, Parking in my driveway, I catch dust and pollen. I end up with a semi sticky layer of dirt. I live on a tree lined street and my neighbor, who's tree and bushes sit right next to my driveway contribute to this. Each morning I brush away fine white granules of pollen from the tall bushes my neighbor REFUSES TO TRIM! but that's only until the sticky layer doesn't build up and glue the stuff on forcing me to wash. I have to wash at least twice, if not 3 times per week, just to keep my c7 clean.

People ask me, why don't you get a car cover? I know it will deal with the daily layer of crap but I'm way more concerned about scratching the paint. Also, having used a cover on my wife's car I've seen that leaves and dust get underneath when I've taken the cover off. Although it was just a single layer nylon cover used to keep the sticky stuff off.

1) So is ther a car cover that I can use that won't cause scratches / allow stuff to get in or underneath?

2) what is the best product / method combo to use when washing waxing that will keep the paint clean or allow me to use the duster w/o having the stuff left behind due to the sticky factor?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The only sure way is to build a garage, but sometimes that just can't happen. If you go with a cover buy the best out there. Many allow dust, and water to get through the material which won't help you in the end and allow for scratches when removed. There are covers that are layered that are dust/water resistant with the inside layer being a soft material that doesn't scratch, and they usually have a kit to lock it on for security. Give it a 'google", and you should find one that suits you. Don't scrimp on the price, it's your Corvette that you want to protect after all is said, and done.

As far as washing, and waxing just buy a good brand name, i.e. Maguiars, etc. I've bought all kinds of expensive stuff, and found the known brand names work as good, at a cheaper price. For in between waxes a good spray detail wax will keep it slick. IMHO

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Car cover outdoors or even indoors only works if you constantly clean car before putting it on. So picture this.... you come home after a long day of driving and want to just lounge around and relax. You can't put the cover on now because you're not washing the car off or spray detailing etc.

cover great for long term storage. That's it.

have the car ceramic coated and be done with it
Old 04-23-2017, 02:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Car cover outdoors or even indoors only works if you constantly clean car before putting it on. So picture this.... you come home after a long day of driving and want to just lounge around and relax. You can't put the cover on now because you're not washing the car off or spray detailing etc.

cover great for long term storage. That's it.

have the car ceramic coated and be done with it
Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
The only sure way is to build a garage, but sometimes that just can't happen. If you go with a cover buy the best out there. Many allow dust, and water to get through the material which won't help you in the end and allow for scratches when removed. There are covers that are layered that are dust/water resistant with the inside layer being a soft material that doesn't scratch, and they usually have a kit to lock it on for security. Give it a 'google", and you should find one that suits you. Don't scrimp on the price, it's your Corvette that you want to protect after all is said, and done.

As far as washing, and waxing just buy a good brand name, i.e. Maguiars, etc. I've bought all kinds of expensive stuff, and found the known brand names work as good, at a cheaper price. For in between waxes a good spray detail wax will keep it slick. IMHO
I don't fully understand "ceramic coated" and don't know how long it will last, in practice, under your situation. But, I do agree generally that the best stuff you can buy at very high price may not be worth it, or the time to use it. I also think a great cover is only as good as the surface you are covering---which means, as described above it needs to be clean not gunked up with other dirt, moisture, etc. and then covered.

You have a problem; it's not going away, until you do. So, just resign yourself to good polish/wax, frequent washing, an occasional cover right after you wash, and that's it. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:17 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

^^^^^ educate yourself on the ceramic coatings and how they protect the finish and how easy it is to clean uo bird bombs tar etc.

expensive ones like ceramic pro can even curb scratches and light debris chipping.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I would never use a car cover unless your car is pristine when you put it on, and if left outside, secure it against flopping around from wind, because both those things, if done improperly will ruin your paint faster than darn-near anything else.

Those will leave your car much worse off than if you had left it dirty and uncovered.
The following users liked this post:
Maxpowers (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

http://www.target.com/p/shelter-logic-10x20-canopy-1-3-8-8-leg-frame-cover-with-enclosure-kit/-/A-50198468?lnk=rec|pdpipadexsrch|related_p rods_vv|pdpipadexsrch|50198468|0
Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Well I live in the Northwest and its pollen season so recently I used Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Wax and my 10" inch buffer that's slow enough that it won't burn the paint !!! My Corvette is in the garage but my 2 other cars stay outside !!! Don't forget to use it on the windshield and the back glass because it makes it easier to just rinse the car when you want to take it out on a ride !!! For tree pitch I use Turtle wax bug and tar remover !!! Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To Bushes, bugs, and trees. Oh my!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bushes, bugs, and trees. Oh my!