Sponsored by:

Thinking of going with non-run flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Thinking of going with non-run flats

I need new tires soon and I'm considering getting non run-flats.

Question for those that run them - have you ever really had a blowout or any issue where you got stuck/stranded? Will one of those tire kits with the inflator suffice?

thanks
Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 PM
GRAND SPORT GUY
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey jjaaam-

I don't know about anyone else's experience, but in 47 years of driving probably more than a million miles (600,000 of that working 30 years for the Police Department), I have had exactly 2 flats. One was cross country with my BMW 540i, the other on one of my Harley's, also cross country.

I just very recently had TSW Nurburgring wheels installed on my C5, and was given the option of run flat or non run flat. I chose non run flat for several reasons.

-Less expensive
-Softer ride
-More available as in in-stock in tire shops
-They weigh less

I also have AAA Platinum towing, they will take me up to 200 miles.

I guess it's a personal thing.

-Ray

Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,024 Posts

I have never had a blow out or been stranded. I have had punctures in run flats and non run flats and stopped immediately to plug the tires before the pressure got too low. It is much more difficult to plug a run flat tire. I always carry a plug kit, compressor and related tools to remove objects from tires.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I will be doing the same thing. My only concern would be going on long trips.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM
jjaaam
Pro

In my 30+ years of driving I've had only one blowout and that was many years ago. I'm thinking the price of runflats isn't justified.

That being said, I'm looking at some Sumitomo HTR Z II's. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for the replies so far...

Last edited by jjaaam; 04-23-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

I have had one high speed blowout and 4-5 flats in the last 47 years. That being said I replaced my GY run flats with Hankooks a year ago, no regrets. I do carry a 12volt pump and a plug kit, hope I never need it.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

My first Vette was a Z06, came with an inflation kit with a leak sealer. Never had a problem and avoided run flats, bought the Slime Brand kit like the OEM. Griots sells a kit very similar to the OEM. Don't waste your money on runflats
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaaam
I need new tires soon and I'm considering getting non run-flats.

Question for those that run them - have you ever really had a blowout or any issue where you got stuck/stranded? Will one of those tire kits with the inflator suffice?

thanks
Run flats are not going to help if you have a blowout. You can not drive on one. A puncture, yes. I have had several flat tires and a few times I used a can of inflator/sealer with no problem. I was back on the road in minutes. Had the puncture repaired for a few bucks. Did not affect the TPMS.

I would never use runflats. If you drive any distance on a flat, Tire shops will not repair them and you have to buy a new tire, Two if they are worn much.

Last edited by JR-01; 04-23-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I will be doing the same thing. My only concern would be going on long trips.
So you are on a long trip, have a flat and drive to tire shop. They will not patch it and you have to wait for a new tire to be shipped. Are you really better off with runflats? I don't think so.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Antigravity batteries have a really nice little pump for stuff like this, but lots of companies have options.

Last edited by Scylla; 04-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
So you are on a long trip, have a flat and drive to tire shop. They will not patch it and you have to wait for a new tire to be shipped. Are you really better off with runflats? I don't think so.
And a major blow-out with run flats wouldn't be any different.
I'm not considering using run flats. I might carry a spare on long trips.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
It is much more difficult to plug a run flat tire.
Don't understand your comment.

I have only ever had runflats on my C5 and have plugged them as needed (Goodyear OEM and Firestone/Bridgestone) easily and without problems.

I have had catastrophic failures of non runflats. Not many, but they happen. I have stayed with RF's on the C5 because I drive on highways where stopping on the hard shoulder for any reason is a very risky proposition (Washington DC area) - you may well get wiped out by a drunk or a sleepy trucker.

I just like the idea that I can make it to the next exit before I have to deal with the problem - and yes, I carry a pump and plugs, adhesive. etc.

Last edited by jackthelad; 04-23-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rob 02
And a major blow-out with run flats wouldn't be any different.
I'm not considering using run flats. I might carry a spare on long trips.
Sometimes I think run flats were invented for the tire companies to make more money. They cost a heck of a lot more to begin with and most of the time shops won't repair a puncture and you end up buying two new tires since tires should be replaced in pairs.

I was up at the tire shop last week to replace a tire pressure sensor and we were talking about run flats. He said they won't repair them because of liability issues. They lose structural integrity if driven any distance at all.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:29 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Sounds like I'm getting the non-runflats. Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:29 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

There is a lot of info on the net. Pros and cons. Check it out.

Reduced tread wear: A recent study by J.D. Power found that people were replacing their run-flat tires an average of 6,000 miles sooner than owners using standard tires. Opinions differ on why this is, but one theory is that tiremakers put a soft tread compound on a run-flat tire to counter the hard ride. A side effect of the softer compound is a shorter tread life.

Blowouts are still possible: If a driver fails to heed or notice the run-flat warning and drives beyond the zero-pressure range or above the speed limitation, the tire can begin to disintegrate, with the same destabilizing effects. Additionally, if the puncture occurred on the sidewall or if the tire hits a large object, the driver would have to call a tow truck. The J.D. Power study found that "customers with vehicles equipped with run-flat tires are nearly twice as likely as those with vehicles equipped with standard tires to have to replace a tire due to a flat or blowout."
Hard to tell if it is low on air: A side effect of the stiffer construction is that the sidewalls do not bulge if the air pressure is low. This means that it is critical to have a tire-pressure monitoring system and check your tire pressure frequently.

Harsher ride: The stiff sidewalls that make a run-flat work also result in a harder ride. If the vehicle came with run-flat tires from the factory, the automaker usually tunes the suspension to offset the harsher ride.

Cost: Run-flat tires are more expensive to replace. A 205/55R16 run-flat tire at a local shop in Santa Monica, California, costs $239. The standard tire equivalent costs about $174, a $65 difference per tire. Also, many run-flat tires cannot be repaired and often need to be replaced in pairs.

Less on-shelf availability: Because run-flats aren't a big-selling tire, drivers shouldn't expect to roll into just any tire store and buy one. It may be easier to do so in larger cities, but if you're a run-flat user on a road trip and get a flat near a small town, you'll probably have to make a detour to find a suitable tire dealer. Or worse, you may have to stay there overnight, waiting for the tire to be shipped.

Last edited by JR-01; 04-23-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

You'll be glad after the first few miles....
Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

I 86'd them on my 08 Corvette and 2014 Cadillac ATS. I added a Fix A Flat kit to each car and kept my roadside assistance.

Yup you guessed it.... First blowout in 40 years and it was a runflat.

OBTW - Car was taken to my SIL's place...FREE as I have 0 worth while tire shops near me. Swapped out the tires the next day and never looked back.

Last edited by oemtech; 04-23-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of going with non-run flats

Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by oemtech
I 86'd them on my 08 Corvette and 2014 Cadillac ATS. I added a Fix A Flat kit to each car and kept my roadside assistance.

Yup you guessed it.... First blowout in 40 years and it was a runflat.

OBTW - Car was taken to my SIL's place...FREE as I have 0 worth while tire shops near me. Swapped out the tires the next day and never looked back.
Had that run flat ever been driven while flat before? Just curious.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've been running non-runflats for quite a few years on the Vettes I've owned. Have not had a flat in those years, thankfully. But I do keep an air compressor and plug kit in the car just in case and I have emergency road service on my insurance policy.

To me, the slight chance of having a flat is greatly outweighed by the better ride, handling and low road noise from a non-runflat.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Don't understand your comment.

I have only ever had runflats on my C5 and have plugged them as needed (Goodyear OEM and Firestone/Bridgestone) easily and without problems.

I have had catastrophic failures of non runflats. Not many, but they happen. I have stayed with RF's on the C5 because I drive on highways where stopping on the hard shoulder for any reason is a very risky proposition (Washington DC area) - you may well get wiped out by a drunk or a sleepy trucker.

I just like the idea that I can make it to the next exit before I have to deal with the problem - and yes, I carry a pump and plugs, adhesive. etc.
What I mean is that the material of the run flat tire is tougher to push a plug through than a regular tire. I agree that the OEM Goodyear EMT is a great tire and a good choice for where you drive.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going with non-run flats