C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Transmission tune questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM
remvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission tune questions

Hi guys!

Got 3:42 gears installed had 3:15 in the vette

Wondering if I buy a Programmer if I can tune the trans..
Let the computers knows it is 3:42. Change shift point??

Car shift good but once in a while stall converter will not lock up. And it throw a p1870 code if I remember right. While driving I cleared the code and converter locked right away

Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You do NOT have to make a speedo corrction on a C5 when changing gears---Howeve you do have yo make a "shift point correction" for both P/T shifting and WOT shifting
A handheld tuner cannot do this--You need to go to a tuner with HP or EFILIVE to corrct these issues properly
As far as the TCC lock up goes--A stall converter requires special tuning as a stall creates "false misfires" which can randomly lock/unlock your converter---A competent tuner knows how to eliminate these false misfires----ALSO It is also a good idea to delete the 3rd gear lock up entirely and then raise the 4th gear lock up not to happen until about 50-53 MPH and the Unlock table to be 13 MPH less thru out the entire table
And finally The lock up is "pulse width modulated" meaning thetrans pressure comes in very slowly to lock the converter This is bad on a stall converter as it creates excessive heat----Tuners can set the PWM tablea to ramp in the lock up very quickly to reduce slippage and heat---best is to set the entire Minimum PWM table to 98% and the maximum PWM table to 99%-----
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM
remvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.. Very helpful.. I will have to bring the car back to the tuner!!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:31 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
You do NOT have to make a speedo corrction on a C5 when changing gears---Howeve you do have yo make a "shift point correction" for both P/T shifting and WOT shifting
A handheld tuner cannot do this--You need to go to a tuner with HP or EFILIVE to corrct these issues properly
As far as the TCC lock up goes--A stall converter requires special tuning as a stall creates "false misfires" which can randomly lock/unlock your converter---A competent tuner knows how to eliminate these false misfires----ALSO It is also a good idea to delete the 3rd gear lock up entirely and then raise the 4th gear lock up not to happen until about 50-53 MPH and the Unlock table to be 13 MPH less thru out the entire table
And finally The lock up is "pulse width modulated" meaning thetrans pressure comes in very slowly to lock the converter This is bad on a stall converter as it creates excessive heat----Tuners can set the PWM tablea to ramp in the lock up very quickly to reduce slippage and heat---best is to set the entire Minimum PWM table to 98% and the maximum PWM table to 99%-----
I have not experienced false misfires in either my vette or my truck - maybe a 3200 stall isn't big enough to be a problem?

I agree about deleting the lockup in 3rd, as well as increasing the PWM percentage.

I've gone the other way with my lockup speeds. Don't know why you'd want to wait until 50 mph, particularly with the 3.42 gears. I've got the 3.15 gears and lock up around 40 mph at low throttle.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

At 40 MPH at lock up the engine tends to lug too much and is prone to detonation
Also if you data log your fuel usage the car will actually use LESS fuel at say 1800 RPMs when un locked rather than if it's locked at 1600 RPM's again because the engine is lugging and when an engine lugs the ECM dumps more fuel and subtracts timing to compensate for the extra low RPM load----all bad when coming to fuel mileage and max HP/TQ

Last edited by tblu92; 05-12-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
At 40 MPH at lock up the engine tends to lug too much and is prone to detonation
Also if you data log your fuel usage the car will actually use LESS fuel at say 1800 RPMs when locked rather than if it's locked at 1600 RPM's again because the engine is lugging and when an engine lugs the ECM dumps more fuel and subtracts timing to compensate for the extra low RPM load----all bad when coming to fuel mileage and max HP/TQ
First, I am not experiencing lugging at 40 mph. Maybe my cam does better at low rpm than what you normally see.

Second, the point isn't whether the car is using more fuel at 1600 locked versus 1800 locked, it's whether it uses more at 1600 locked versus 2000 or so unlocked. I'm not so sure you'd see 1600 locked using more fuel in that case. But just as important, probably more important, is slipping in the torque converter generating heat in the transmission when running a high stall converter. These cars have very limited cooling capability at low speeds. At 40 mph the radiator fans aren't running in stock tune as they cut out at 35. I've bumped mine up to 40.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by enoniam
First, I am not experiencing lugging at 40 mph. Maybe my cam does better at low rpm than what you normally see.

Second, the point isn't whether the car is using more fuel at 1600 locked versus 1800 locked, it's whether it uses more at 1600 locked versus 2000 or so unlocked. I'm not so sure you'd see 1600 locked using more fuel in that case. But just as important, probably more important, is slipping in the torque converter generating heat in the transmission when running a high stall converter. These cars have very limited cooling capability at low speeds. At 40 mph the radiator fans aren't running in stock tune as they cut out at 35. I've bumped mine up to 40.
Sorry It was a typo on my part--------I meant to say that
When data logging------ The engine will actually use LESS fuel in 4th gear at 1800 RPM's UNLOCKED--- then it will LOCKED at 1600 RPM's
while maintaining the same speed---

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission tune questions

Quick Reply: Transmission tune questions