Sponsored by:

It's fun discovering this car with every trip to the supermarket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts
Default It's fun discovering this car with every trip to the supermarket

More Stingray epiphanies. I've driven a lot of cars, but not like some of you guys and certainly not like the automotive writers, so until my 2007 C6 (non-Z51) was by far the best sports car (or car for that matter) I had ever driven. But this car is off the hinges great, man, it's on some whole other level than a C6, WTF, it's like in some other car DIMENSION that is revealing itself to me twisty bit by twisty bit as I gain more confidence and familiarity. The suspension, pinpoint steering, overall feel, the car's amazing calmness at speed through corners smooth or bumpy - I mean, now I can see why in the hands of a good driver a C7 can run with Ferraris, Lambos, the very best exotics. The C6 simply could not DO the stuff this car does, not a chance. And everything you DID do with it was more white knuckle, it's so much EASIER in the C7. And I say that acknowledging that to me the C6 was a revelation when I first drove the car.

Look, I've never driven a Ferrari 458 Italia or 488, but I get the general impression that the C7 handling is closer to that type of world class GT exotic, with a helping of American muscle. But the LT1 isn't so raw, it's actually quite refined. This takes experienced guys like Car & Driver writers 10 minutes to figure out, it only dawns on me over time, I've had the car four months now, 2600 mi. Still discovering it.

I'll calm down, I just had a fun blast coming home from Shop-Rite with the groceries. That car turns every routine errand into Pcad's Sports Car Fantasy Camp.

P.S. Yes it did take five minutes to collect all the scattered bottled waters and drinks from all over the C7 cargo area once I got home, but it was worth it.
The following 3 users liked this post by patentcad:
mschuyler (04-24-2017), norrin302 (03-21-2023), VetteDrmr (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 PM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

And so practical too.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I'm a new owner, 4400 miles in three weeks, so miles, but not time, and I can identify with what you are saying. It's a very competent car That does not force you to accommodate its bad habits (like cars of yore), but expects you to be competent in return. Driving autos for years I had forgotten the symbiotic relationship you can achieve between car and driver. As I gain more confidence with the M7 I'm finding getting the Vette to "do my bidding," so to speak, is getting easier and more fluid by the day. I've got way too much freeway driving under my belt. It can be jarring and tiring no matter what car you drive. In some respects it's more fun in town where I can exercise the gears a little more. Now if it would just stop RAINING (44 inches since October 1st) I could put down the top and hear the exhaust a little better.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:34 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

just put the top down,with 650hp,you can out-run the rain
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
just put the top down,with 650hp,you can out-run the rain
I have a Z51 with 460 hp, one thing that makes the car fun is that you can occasionally, if you pick your spots - GET on the car - and when you do it's too fast, you're on the edge, but at least you can do it. I couldn't get on a Z06 around here, I'd need a race track. I mean you could try to get on the car but it would be very hard to to it safely. It's very hard to do it safely in the Stingray. It's a very well balanced package with ample insane speed for me.

I know the drill with cars though, it's never enough power, and the more you have, you figure out how to use it. I just love the overall feel of this car, the balance, the power to weight, the car feels SO much more nimble and well sorted than the C6 ever did, the suspension puts the power down so much more effectively, particularly on rough roads.

That comment above characterizing the C7 as 'competent' strikes me as hearing J. Hendrix play 'Little Wing' and saying 'hey that guy's a decent guitar player' : ).

Last edited by patentcad; 04-24-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM
jonesaut
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan to use my car as you do. Also plan to be up in your part of the world in August.
Keep up the fun.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:50 PM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Life is good in a C7
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by fourmat
Life is good in a C7
It's even better after Ron Fellows
Old 03-21-2023, 10:45 AM
brocco
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 159 Posts

get in, drive wherever you want and buy **** along the way if needed...

Get notified of new replies

To It's fun discovering this car with every trip to the supermarket

Quick Reply: It's fun discovering this car with every trip to the supermarket