Sponsored by:

I think I have OCD, seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Default I think I have OCD, seriously.

What I'm about to reveal about myself can't be normal. For the 9th consecutive time, my wife and I are flying to Nashville on Wednesday in order to attend this year's NCM bash. I started looking forward to going as soon as we returned home from last year's event. OK, that's probably normal for a lot of us here. The weird thing is this: Every year, I make sure that my Corvette is freshly shined up top to bottom, inside and out, before heading to the airport. Since we live too far from Bowling Green to drive there, we're forced to fly which means I'm one of the very few attendees who doesn't have his Corvette there. Given that, it's a bit of a consolation knowing that at least there'll be a beautiful, spotless Stingray in the garage waiting for me when we get home. I tried one time leaving the Corvette in the garage somewhat dirty while at the bash and it drove me nuts the entire time. Never again! One can only imagine what a bummer it must be for those attendees who for whatever reason neither have one of these beautiful cars nor will have one in the near future. Personally, I wouldn't be able to deal with it. Looking forward to seeing many of you there.
The following users liked this post:
Scruff Vette (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:38 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have to say it would bother me only if I knew there was bug splatter on the paint, and I'm pretty OCD myself. I think you are one level over me.

Last edited by joemessman; 04-25-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Not sure about OCD but you definitely have some form of a Corvette illness.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

The great part about this is when you get home and are still pumped up from seeing all the Vettes there, you can climb in your baby and go. Nothing like coming home to a shiny clean ready to go Vette.
Have fun at the Bash.
VH
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I can somewhat relate with the cleaning of the Vette as I just spent a day polishing and waxing as well, but the difference being when I back out of the garage Thursday morning it is going to be 35 degrees and raining, conditions that none of my Vettes has ever experienced LOL. A whole day to make it look showroom and 5 minutes to trash it. However, this is a nice problem to have, driving my Vette to the motherland, the Mecca. Plus not getting groped by the TSA ***** is a huge bonus.

The Museum will have an area of the parking lot available for everyone to wash their cars, BYOS (bring your own supplies)

Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 867 Likes on 397 Posts

I'm Bob and I have a problem. I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of leaving home for any period of time with a dirty Corvette in the garage. I'm not capable of enjoying myself at the destination knowing my Stingray was not washed and detailed awaiting my return.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

You will find a lot of us on this forum with the same Corvette illness you have. When I arrive home after a relatively long trip in the corvette, I have to clean the car before I do anything else.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

God...what does that make me. I wipe down my DD LBM 16' Z51, every night. For me it 's more than compulsive, in my mind it is out of respect for what this car stands for. I will not go out in this car if it is less than showroom clean. I think i have washed my now 13k mile car about twice, keeping on top of her (yeah I just said that ) makes it easier to keep clean.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

You should take your dress off and drive it there. Sounds like you have soap and water to clean it when you get back home. Your missing half the experience. Kinda like sex with a rubber......why?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Mike1320
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm even more grateful that I live a 1+15 drive from the museum. Ok, I chose where to retire partially to be close to the museum. Anyway it's nice to be so close.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
God...what does that make me. I wipe down my DD LBM 16' Z51, every night. For me it 's more than compulsive, in my mind it is out of respect for what this car stands for. I will not go out in this car if it is less than showroom clean. I think i have washed my now 13k mile car about twice, keeping on top of her (yeah I just said that ) makes it easier to keep clean.
That sounds just like me. Always my morning routine to wipe the exhaust pipes, wipe the wheels down, vacuum the inside, wipe the interior down. Now I dust the car with my microfiber duster. The next is to clean the outside windows and go to the transparent top and wipe it down with Plexus. I use the 3M detailer on the car body. Takes me about 20 minutes, or so every morning.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
You should take your dress off and drive it there. Sounds like you have soap and water to clean it when you get back home. Your missing half the experience. Kinda like sex with a rubber......why?
Seems like you misunderstood the post. The point is not that he doesn't want to drive to BG because his car will get dirty. The point is that he wants the car clean even though he is away.

I'm with the OP. I don't like it when my car is dirty -- home or away. Actually, sitting in the garage dirty might be worse than driving it dirty. It's complicated....
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
That sounds just like me. Always my morning routine to wipe the exhaust pipes, wipe the wheels down, vacuum the inside, wipe the interior down. Now I dust the car with my microfiber duster. The next is to clean the outside windows and go to the transparent top and wipe it down with Plexus. I use the 3M detailer on the car body. Takes me about 20 minutes, or so every morning.
Every morning? I will clean mine when it gets dirty but normally don't even look at it weekdays unless going for a drive. Right now the car has a light coat of pollen from having it out this past weekend. No use cleaning until just before heading out, pollen is in the air (car is dirty again before you get the garage door open).
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Like US Icon, I spend a lot of time cleaning my car before a road trip only to have my work undone in just a few miles. Rarely I end up having to clean just bug splatter-it's usually a complete cleanup. If the rain is substantial it's only the rear fascia that bears the brunt of the grime and the rest of the car stays relatively clean. I don't do the daily detailing in the garage during the week, but usually a couple of times. I let the car cool down after a trip then clean it up the same night-even if it's late-as I don't want it put away dirty.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Originally Posted by fugly1
Seems like you misunderstood the post. The point is not that he doesn't want to drive to BG because his car will get dirty. The point is that he wants the car clean even though he is away.

I'm with the OP. I don't like it when my car is dirty -- home or away. Actually, sitting in the garage dirty might be worse than driving it dirty. It's complicated....
Fugly1 is correct. The only reason I don't drive to the bash instead of fly is that I simply can't take that much time away. It'd be four LONG days of driving each way (with minimal stops) plus whatever time we spend in Bowling Green.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Guess it's just me, but I find this post - and many of the others - rather sad.

Yes, to each his own, but there's an awful lot of country and an awful lot of things one could go see - in his or her Corvette - rather than going to the "bash" time after time after time after....

I'm nearing 700,000 miles in Corvettes. Have had the joy of driving through 45 of the lower 48 states in a Corvette in the last 27 years....

Both my C7 and my Ferrari are really dirty because it's been raining and I still drive them..... and have not cleaned them up since the last rain. I'll get to it but I'm going 45 miles - one way - for lunch....
Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Guess it's just me, but I find this post - and many of the others - rather sad.

Yes, to each his own, but there's an awful lot of country and an awful lot of things one could go see - in his or her Corvette - rather than going to the "bash" time after time after time after....
Yeah, OP, stop going to that bash and enjoying yourself! It's very sad. You should do other things that you enjoy...less.

Get notified of new replies

To I think I have OCD, seriously.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM
GordyS
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, I thought Harley guys were over the top with cleaning, some of you are very excessive/compulsive.
BTW my new Z06 is setting in the garage with dirt it acquired from the last quick 150 mile coffee trip. It is only a car.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Sounds like a better morning routine than waking up at the crack of dawn and battling traffic.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"Yeah, OP, stop going to that bash and enjoying yourself! It's very sad. You should do other things that you enjoy...less." fugly1

^^^ That IS kinda funny, but in a way I also do understand 4th's point of view. Mike, I don't think you're ocd. I think, after seeing dozens/hundreds of Corvettes at the Bash all clean and shined up, it kind of makes you worry if you knew your car was sitting at home filthy.

Since it's something you care about---keeping your car looking nice as well as using it (which 4th does a lot of the latter but maybe not so much of the former, or only "as-needed")---I wouldn't call it obsessive at all.

As to "see the USA in your Chevrolet" well, to me, that's always a good suggestion but it does depend. It depends mostly on if we have the time and, to a lesser extent, if we can, or do make the time. Most likely in your case, work won't allow it. Time is precious; there's only so much we're all doled out, and we don't know how much it is.

Go enjoy yourself at the Bash, and your car when you return home!

Last edited by AORoads; 04-25-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: I think I have OCD, seriously.