C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At the dealership today....

Old 04-25-2017, 04:13 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Default At the dealership today....

At the local dealer today to get my GS the required annual inspection....( I hate turning it over to those guys...but ) and on the showroom floor were two C7's .....dirty, fingerprints, even some scratches! I was going to take a pic and post here but probably would have got booted to the C7 section because it was a pic of a C7.......anyway, my point is how in the world can a dealer treat the top of their line like that? When I bought my 2012( from an out of state dealer)....it was spotless! One of em was a loaded Z06!!

Last edited by blittle; 04-25-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 907 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Because it is not a work of art to them as it is to us. To the dealership employees it is just a product to be sold and make them money.

Another example is the disregard for accuracy by many dealer internet sales department. Currently our local dealer has a `15 Torch Red ZO6 convertible on the floor - it is advertised as Crystal Red Metallic Nearly every online ad has at least one error per Corvette. How do they say one has an automatic transmission in the ad when the photos obviously show a manual transmission?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

When I bought my 2013 GS I was taking my 2005 C6 in for service. It was in bad shape too. I am sure it was run through their automated car washes so many times. There were fine scratches all throughout. I told them I would only buy the car if they took it to a pro detailer to correct the paint. It was all written out on the contract and I bought the car. Took a month to actually take possession of the car which I complained numerous times. To compensate they sent me a check equal to one month’s car payment.

After finally getting my GS back, it was better but still not perfect (for me). But I just took it home and corrected it myself with my Flex polisher.

On the flip side, when I bought my 2005 it was freaking perfect.

I think it really depends on the dealership. Where I bought my 2005, they were known in the area has a high volume Corvette sales dealership. Where my 2013 GS was sold more of their “daily driver” type cars and chevy trucks. And maybe dealerships that sell higher end cars take more pride in those cars, who knows. But as a buyer, regardless if I am buying a cruze or a corvette I would expect the car to look its best when I am going to buy it new.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
When I bought my 2013 GS I was taking my 2005 C6 in for service. It was in bad shape too. I am sure it was run through their automated car washes so many times. There were fine scratches all throughout. I told them I would only buy the car if they took it to a pro detailer to correct the paint. It was all written out on the contract and I bought the car. Took a month to actually take possession of the car which I complained numerous times. To compensate they sent me a check equal to one month’s car payment.

After finally getting my GS back, it was better but still not perfect (for me). But I just took it home and corrected it myself with my Flex polisher.

On the flip side, when I bought my 2005 it was freaking perfect.

I think it really depends on the dealership. Where I bought my 2005, they were known in the area has a high volume Corvette sales dealership. Where my 2013 GS was sold more of their “daily driver” type cars and chevy trucks. And maybe dealerships that sell higher end cars take more pride in those cars, who knows. But as a buyer, regardless if I am buying a cruze or a corvette I would expect the car to look its best when I am going to buy it new.
Yes, I think so too.

In the late '60s I was a lot boy/gopher at a Pontiac dealer, and part of my job was polishing fingerprints, etc. off the showroom cars.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I agree that a lot depends on the dealership. I passed by a dealership by me a couple weeks ago, they had all their C7 sitting out side for months already. Some had bird **** on them. Passed by again a few days ago, bird **** was still there. If I ever do get a C7 new, I will make sure I order it rather than pick one up off the lot.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Just can't seem to bring myself to take my car to a derlership. Did it once right after I bought it (under warranty) and learned my lesson. I'm sure everyone in here can remember when they were in their early 20's. If someone handed me the keys to a car that I couldn't afford and the owner was not around, well, I'm sure they drive it like they stole it.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:16 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I just had to drop mine off at the dealership for the clutch master cylinder TSB. They had a C7 on the floor in terrible condition.

Then there was one on the lot with a manual transmition that really caught my attention. I'm fighting the urge to add it to the garage. I know not everyone digs em, but I think they are beautiful cars.
​​​​​
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 PM
usr5000
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doomi
I just had to drop mine off at the dealership for the clutch master cylinder TSB. They had a C7 on the floor in terrible condition.

Then there was one on the lot with a manual transmition that really caught my attention. I'm fighting the urge to add it to the garage. I know not everyone digs em, but I think they are beautiful cars.
​​​​​
they are beautiful - except the Camaro rear end
Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by blittle
At the local dealer today to get my GS the required annual inspection....( I hate turning it over to those guys...but ) and on the showroom floor were two C7's .....dirty, fingerprints, even some scratches! I was going to take a pic and post here but probably would have got booted to the C7 section because it was a pic of a C7.......anyway, my point is how in the world can a dealer treat the top of their line like that? When I bought my 2012( from an out of state dealer)....it was spotless! One of em was a loaded Z06!!

Customers who walk around the showroom tend to touch, rub, and lean on the cars that are showcased. Unless they have the car roped off, there's really no way they can protect them.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Because people in the showroom put their hands on it and brush up against it.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Went to the local Chevy dealership a few years ago. They had a brand new C6 Z06 (can't remember the year) on the show room floor. I was looking at the sticker when a salesman walked up and asked me if I was interested. I asked him about the car and he told me he actually didn't know much about it. Not horsepower, not engine, what the "Z06" meant, nothing. I pretty much schooled him right then and there. They are there to make a sale. Most are not even "car" guys. Its just a job.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Went to the local Chevy dealership a few years ago. They had a brand new C6 Z06 (can't remember the year) on the show room floor. I was looking at the sticker when a salesman walked up and asked me if I was interested. I asked him about the car and he told me he actually didn't know much about it. Not horsepower, not engine, what the "Z06" meant, nothing. I pretty much schooled him right then and there. They are there to make a sale. Most are not even "car" guys. Its just a job.

A "blast from the past:"

In the early-mid '70s I was working at a small shop (I'm a moldmaker), and a tool salesman would come in every week, see if we needed anything, then would sit in the office and BS with the owner for a while. All standard stuff, then and now.

By "tools" I mean toolmaking supplies: cutters, drills, taps, grinding wheels, measuring tools, etc.

One day he left and the owner came out of the office laughing and shaking his head. He had asked the salesman a question about polishing stones, and the salesman said he knew nothing about them -- he used to sell socks, lol.

It's the art of selling that is important. Doesn't matter if you're selling tools, cars or socks.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
Because it is not a work of art to them as it is to us. To the dealership employees it is just a product to be sold and make them money.

Another example is the disregard for accuracy by many dealer internet sales department. Currently our local dealer has a `15 Torch Red ZO6 convertible on the floor - it is advertised as Crystal Red Metallic Nearly every online ad has at least one error per Corvette. How do they say one has an automatic transmission in the ad when the photos obviously show a manual transmission?

They seem to re-use pics from one car and post multiple ads. Either that or the text is an error.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Glad I did the museum delivery. Vehicle was immaculate.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Because people in the showroom put their hands on it and brush up against it.
As others have said...the dealership is a very important part of the issue.... Yes, people will lean on and touch, but there are dealers who employ people just to keep the "show cars" clean....if a dealer is going to not bother, then might as well just keep em outside. Hats off to Criswell Chevy is Gaithersburg, Md.......bought my 12 GS there and all the cars looked as nice as could be!!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Yup.....been there....not on a Corvette, but a Benz of all things!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Because they prolly had a pickup right next to it that stickered for more.....

Get notified of new replies

To At the dealership today....

Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Glad I did the museum delivery. Vehicle was immaculate.
Did that when I bought a 2005.....it was indeed immaculate and the experience was fantastic.....loved it!!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
Because they prolly had a pickup right next to it that stickered for more.....
my thoughts exactly lol

does anyone in this thread actually drive theyre corvettes or is this the garage queen section. because they get little scratches and fingerprints on them when they are driven...
The following users liked this post:
ChevyCam (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:56 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Last time I was in a dealership to buy a Corvette they only had one on the floor. And the air dam had been torn by the concrete stops in the parking lot before they just parked it on the floor as the best they had. We're not talking slight scratches and finger prints which I expect to see on every car on a showroom floor. I'm talking parts hanging off the car probably because no one in sales came in the door I came in and the car was too low for it to be seen otherwise. But if that is the level of care they take when putting their best foot forward, how do you think their maintenance department is going to treat your car?

It depends on the dealership. I only know of one dealership within 50 miles of me that I consider properly taking care of their showroom models and that is a Nissan dealership. I've seen salesmen with a microfiber cloth when most dealership sales would just be standing around. Maybe that's why that dealership seems to be doing so well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At the dealership today....