C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 open loop idle - cannot get rid of exhaust stink at idle. 13.2:1

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:22 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default 93 open loop idle - cannot get rid of exhaust stink at idle. 13.2:1

ive been at wits end for this for years.
ever since i dumped cats (for the racetrack) and put in a hotcam, the exhaust stinks on my 93.

its been explained to me that any aftermarket cam has more overlap. so some unburned o2 is going past the o2 sensors causing it to falsely run rich.

that makes sense

what doesnt make sense is i have now made pe mode any cell below 1200 rpm and have zeroed out all the open loop afr fuel adders (at the kpa and coolant temp range my idle is at)

so only the only fuel adder is the ve tables (and any long term blm corrections from before i locked my idle into open loop)...i keep pushing those ve numbers lower and lower - without seeing any change on my wideband. i still see 13.2-13.8 at 850 rpm idle.

i may try raising the idle to see if that changes afr.

note that when im drivng the car (in closed loop), afr is around 14.5-14.9. where it should be. i dont notice any stink ever when the car is driving (of course airflow is carrying exhaust away, but.....ive never once had an objectionable smell)...

what gives !!! is this just a speed density /cam issue that i will never get fixed?

the car is a vert and i dont like stink smell sticking to my clothes in the pits.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

if you're trying to get rid of the smell it will never happen without cats even if you lean it out to 14.5 or higher.
I just tuned my VE all round to run in open loop full time and not just in idle. Perhaps that's the way to go.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
ive been at wits end for this for years.
ever since i dumped cats (for the racetrack) and put in a hotcam, the exhaust stinks on my 93.

its been explained to me that any aftermarket cam has more overlap. so some unburned o2 is going past the o2 sensors causing it to falsely run rich.

that makes sense

what doesnt make sense is i have now made pe mode any cell below 1200 rpm and have zeroed out all the open loop afr fuel adders (at the kpa and coolant temp range my idle is at)

so only the only fuel adder is the ve tables (and any long term blm corrections from before i locked my idle into open loop)...i keep pushing those ve numbers lower and lower - without seeing any change on my wideband. i still see 13.2-13.8 at 850 rpm idle.

i may try raising the idle to see if that changes afr.

note that when im drivng the car (in closed loop), afr is around 14.5-14.9. where it should be. i dont notice any stink ever when the car is driving (of course airflow is carrying exhaust away, but.....ive never once had an objectionable smell)...

what gives !!! is this just a speed density /cam issue that i will never get fixed?

the car is a vert and i dont like stink smell sticking to my clothes in the pits.
Have you zeroed out the PE change to fuel are ratio vs RPM at the idle positions? What about your minimum pulse width under constants, is that set to zero? One thing about the LT1 intake is that it has poor air distribution at idle and your WB is only reporting an average reading of all eight or four cylinders. The latter 1994 LT1 had quite a bit of difference in the pulse widths for the LT1 at idle and you may be running into that issue. It seems strange to me that the O2 sensor in closed loop cannot correct for this problem. The hot cam is not that large and GM was going to release it for the 1996 grand sport but then changed in the end to the milder cam. It also seems strange to me that you cannot get the car to run leaner when you reduce the VE it should get leaner. Attach your bin and I could look it over and see if anything jumps out.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankieD
if you're trying to get rid of the smell it will never happen without cats even if you lean it out to 14.5 or higher.
I just tuned my VE all round to run in open loop full time and not just in idle. Perhaps that's the way to go.
the problem isnt at any condition other than idle. so there is no benefit to open loop all the time, only at idle

at speed, highway, etc. my afrs are right around 14.7:1. no smell issue etc.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 253 Likes on 212 Posts

Check/reduce the min pulse width and default pw settings as already mentioned by Brian.

Other things that will help: Reduce idle rpm as low as possible...try 650-700 rpm and retard the ign timing a bit to reduce idle torque which will add IAC counts (more air per rev which will allow more fuel to burn). This should also reduce the residual exhaust gas and put more heat into the exhaust. Suggest around 10-12 degrees spark advance at idle.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:57 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a hotcammed 86 with no cats. When I try to run closed loop idle the exhaust will burn your eyes. Now in open loop My wideband still shows mid 13's for a smooth idle. Any leaner and I get missfires which makes the exhaust really stink. It idles best at 750 rpm's and 27 degrees advance. Now it is no worse than any car without cats. At cruise it's happy with 14.6 - 16 AFR.

I just read an article on how GM ECM'S control fuel using feedback from the o2 sensor. The author's opinion was there is no reason to run closed loop if you do not have cats. I run open loop all the time now and after data logging and tuning, my car has never run better.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

idling too lean can stink and burn your eyes, too

Get notified of new replies

To 93 open loop idle - cannot get rid of exhaust stink at idle. 13.2:1

Quick Reply: 93 open loop idle - cannot get rid of exhaust stink at idle. 13.2:1