C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 to Viper?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C6 to Viper?

Anybody owns a newer srt viper here? Im thinking about replacing my vette with a Gen V after i get it paid off, thoughts?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Not sure about the new ones. I sat in a 2006. Pretty difficult to get in, and a pain to get out of. I like the looks, but it didn't have as much hp as my Z06. I think I sat in it for less than a minute. Too cramped and too expensive for me.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM
usr5000
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Not sure about the new ones. I sat in a 2006. Pretty difficult to get in, and a pain to get out of. I like the looks, but it didn't have as much hp as my Z06. I think I sat in it for less than a minute. Too cramped and too expensive for me.
The prices I've seen are 3 times a Vette
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Nijat1
Anybody owns a newer srt viper here? Im thinking about replacing my vette with a Gen V after i get it paid off, thoughts?
I don't own one, but have been in many on the race track while Instructing.

The Gen 5, with nearly 650hp on tap is a track monster when well driven. If not well driven and/or properly setup they are a handful. The suspension is tight and will get your attention.

Later years like the Gen 5 have a nicer interior but it's somewhat like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still cramped, it's still hot, it's still a challenge to get in and out....but it's better (IMO) than the older versions.

If you intend to have it as an occasional weekend car, it'll be enjoyable unless you have poor roads in your area...in which case even short drives will be rather uncomfortable. If the intent is to drive it regularly....I'd pass unless you're into self-abuse. If you're buying it as a track day toy...
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I don't own one, but have been in many on the race track while Instructing.

The Gen 5, with nearly 650hp on tap is a track monster when well driven. If not well driven and/or properly setup they are a handful. The suspension is tight and will get your attention.

Later years like the Gen 5 have a nicer interior but it's somewhat like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still cramped, it's still hot, it's still a challenge to get in and out....but it's better (IMO) than the older versions.

If you intend to have it as an occasional weekend car, it'll be enjoyable unless you have poor roads in your area...in which case even short drives will be rather uncomfortable. If the intent is to drive it regularly....I'd pass unless you're into self-abuse. If you're buying it as a track day toy...
I wouldnt mind, it would be a weekend car, how does it handle the track? Any issues isu guys experienced?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I almost made this switch but to a Gen 3. I thought about it and honestly it is way too small for me (6'3 250). I love the car to death but I felt like I was getting into a Miata with a big motor.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I wouldnt mind, it would be a weekend car, how does it handle the track? Any issues isu guys experienced?
On a set of Hoosier R7s, a decent alignment, and track worthy brakes....it rocks. Steering is fast, and braking is sure...never had any fading although I'm unsure what pads the guys use most did swap to better fluid. The engine....people joke about it being a truck engine like they do the SBC...never missed a beat in any of the cars I was in. It had more than adequate cooling.

Short of there being a Ferrari, McClaren, or other exotic, a decent driver dominates a track day. Having said that, toss in a well driven C6 ZR-1 or a C7 Z06 (minus cooling issues) and it's a driver's race.

Of course you could go "all in" with an ACR

If you have decent streets where you live, I think you'd find it to be a unique and fun weekend car.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM
LsLegacy
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I've always wanted a Viper... I can't come to terms with blue book, and nada having their values, and owners/dealers having their own. If the Gen 2 Viper GTS are ever sold at what it's claimed they're worth, I'll have one, if not, I'll always enjoy my Vette.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

i'm with the others here. I looked at vette's and vipers before i bought my 2010 GS. my vette is in pristine condition for 35k. comparable vipers (age and mileage) are 2-3x the price. this is a tired/overused line.... but the vette really is the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:39 AM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's an observation. A good friend I got my Z06 from is an aggressive street driver but no track events. He's had 2 Vipers and 3 Z06's...2 C5's and the C6 I got. Even though he's a Mopar guy he says no more Vipers. His opinion is they're not much car for the money, especially compared to the Vettes. I value his opinion and perspective since he has a bunch of high HP cars including a Jaguar F1 (or whatever the 2-seat rocket is called) and a late model Gullwing Mercedes. Interestingly, he says the best value for the money...hands down...is the Vette!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bill gsport
Here's an observation. A good friend I got my Z06 from is an aggressive street driver but no track events. He's had 2 Vipers and 3 Z06's...2 C5's and the C6 I got. Even though he's a Mopar guy he says no more Vipers. His opinion is they're not much car for the money, especially compared to the Vettes. I value his opinion and perspective since he has a bunch of high HP cars including a Jaguar F1 (or whatever the 2-seat rocket is called) and a late model Gullwing Mercedes. Interestingly, he says the best value for the money...hands down...is the Vette!
Ironically, while at a pizza place last night I saw a wild looking sports car I could not identify (very unusual for me). It had dealer "transporter" plates on it. It said Force 1 V10 on the back. So I looked it up . . . some 745hp limited production vehicle heavily based on the last Viper, for $268,000.

It was pretty outrageous looking, and obviously a supercar. But I've always felt Vipers are already overpriced, and this thing is even crazier. For that kind of money I'd be driving something Italian.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The newest Viper is the ultimate track day car, but a terrible street car.
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (04-29-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I had a 2009 ACR Viper.
I think the seats are far superior than the C-6 Corvette. I would open the door and actually smell leather.
In 2009 the car did not have a computer helping you drive the car. That and old tires got a lot of people in trouble.
The ACR has lots of good stuff for track day. They just go fast around tracks.
I did not mind the ride. On the street it was firm but not crazy. I did not remember anyone complaining about the comfort or ride. I think it has more head room than a C6.
Mine was not a daily driver. I am thinking of getting another one. I had zero problems with mine,their forum people were very helpful and had an active club in my area.
I have seen some great deals on gen 5 cars. Just remembere you must have tires no more than 5 years old IMHO.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The newest Viper is the ultimate track day car, but a terrible street car.
Correct. I think mine is absolute garbage on the street. Don't and wouldn't drive it on the street unless it needs to go to the dealer for warranty work which is easier and I feel less conspicuous than taking it in the trailer. GEN V ACR-E btw.

It does work pretty well on the track. For reference I ran a 1:17.6 in the car at Summit Main last October with tons of laps in the 18's with my Dad as a passenger. Today Andrew Aquilante won the GT2 class at Summit Main with a best lap of 1:16.344. The rest of the GT2's were in the 17's. All of the T1 class cars were in the 18's or slower.

My Viper is a car that, if I wanted to, I can drive to the track and even do those lap times using the tires that came on it. Just not for very long because those Kumho's are junk and disintegrate in a day or so of hard use.

My Wife had a 2010 GS right up until she didn't and I just loved that car! Maybe my favorite car we have ever owned. Now she has 2010 Z06 and it's great, Also garbage as a street car imo but not nearly as horrible as the Viper. For the street I really enjoyed the GS.

Her Z was as quick, and soon it will be able to smash the Viper but the Z is more challenging to drive. It just doesn't put down power as well so it takes more finesses to drive it quickly. I can't wait til her Z is complete and we get to take both cars up to Watkins Glen this year. I am so curious to see which I can drive quicker.

Here they are:

Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow what the heck happened???
Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Beef97
Yes, that last pik was a bit of a shock.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Beef97
She had a left front GM brake line separate at the crimp fitting. She was at Summit Point Jefferson. A place without a lot of safe runoff areas.

She went down into a drainage area and came up and out the other side like Bo Duke. Car tail whipped sideways in the air landed on its right side and barrel rolled 4 times. Loved that car! So easy to drive quick. Just the right amount of power.

That's her running us down in the Viper in her C6Z so you could say she's made a full recovery!

I posted that to show why we needed to make the transition to the Z which just happened to have been already setup for the track.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 to Viper?

Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racingswh
She had a left front GM brake line separate at the crimp fitting. She was at Summit Point Jefferson. A place without a lot of safe runoff areas.

She went down into a drainage area and came up and out the other side like Bo Duke. Car tail whipped sideways in the air landed on its right side and barrel rolled 4 times. Loved that car! So easy to drive quick. Just the right amount of power.

That's her running us down in the Viper in her C6Z so you could say she's made a full recovery!

I posted that to show why we needed to make the transition to the Z which just happened to have been already setup for the track.

Thats insane....
Glad she made a recovery, thats looked very serious, amazing that you have a wife that drives fast, shame that u lost a car like though
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:22 AM
puzzleboy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the rear brakes fail also?

What about the parking brake, downshifting, throw it in Park, etc.?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Did the rear brakes fail also?

What about the parking brake, downshifting, throw it in Park, etc.?
My Wife is a late braker. When the pedal went straight to the floor she didn't have much time and went along for the ride.

A track needs to have adequate runoff which that track does not.

Thats insane....
Glad she made a recovery, thats looked very serious, amazing that you have a wife that drives fast, shame that u lost a car like though
It was pretty serious at the time. Helicopter ride etc. She was back in a car quite quickly and only missed one event.

It's cool that we have a common interest. Her love of Horses is way more dangerous. Just got thrown again yesterday. lol!!

It was a shame. I loved that car and drove that more on the street than any other sports car we have ever had.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 to Viper?