C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Technology, Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default Technology, Good or Bad?

The thread about "breaker-less ignition" is interesting but there is no general answer of which is better, points or electronic ignition, IMHO.
I think it is totally dependent on the application and use of the car. I have had a original Pertronix in my 62 for 20+ years with no problems.

I have used, played, screwed up both original Rochester fuel injection and EFI. Which is "better" is also without a answer IMHO.

I have had a first design 4360 unit on my 57 (sold) which performed flawlessly for many years under all conditions, hot, cold, etc. It was tuned by a professional and that was the key to good operation.
I now have a old Hilborn 8 stack mechanical injection which I converted to EFI using a FAST EZEFI 2.0 controller. It also runs very well and is actually pretty user friendly and even I can adjust and mess around with it.

So which technology is better? I like them both.
Any comments?
Bruce B
Old 04-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Technology is only good as the person who is using it. At the end of the day if it gets the job done how the user wants it done. Then that is all it matters. My one dumb Holley carb, points, and repro wires makes my car run great and can smoke the tires at will
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I hate percolation; equally hate vapor lock. They are mysterious issues. My clone carbs on my 270hp '61 never once suffered from heat soak, percolation or vapor lock.... I personally rebuilt those, sold 'em after 20,000 trouble free miles and another forum member has run them, untouched, for another 30,000 miles.

My lil ole mouse motor 63 also with a WCFB suffered from heat soak, which I solved...now on the hottest days in Orlando it'll vapor lock while underway and cause an embarrassing excursion to the side of the road to cool down for 1/2 hour. Yes, I rebuilt that carb too.

I freakin' don't get it.....it has me considering an F/I conversion just to make the car driveable... So, in short, I'm on the fence about induction technologies..
Old 04-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I hate percolation; equally hate vapor lock. They are mysterious issues. My clone carbs on my 270hp '61 never once suffered from heat soak, percolation or vapor lock.... I personally rebuilt those, sold 'em after 20,000 trouble free miles and another forum member has run them, untouched, for another 30,000 miles.

My lil ole mouse motor 63 also with a WCFB suffered from heat soak, which I solved...now on the hottest days in Orlando it'll vapor lock while underway and cause an embarrassing excursion to the side of the road to cool down for 1/2 hour. Yes, I rebuilt that carb too.

I freakin' don't get it.....it has me considering an F/I conversion just to make the car driveable... So, in short, I'm on the fence about induction technologies..

I start to get vapor lock if I sit at traffic for longer periods of time start to back fore and run like crap and If I shut my car off and let it sit for a couple of minutes and turn it back on it will star to act up. I thought of putting a spiral fan inside the shroud and hide a remote switch underneath dash. Help cool everything down

One old timer told me to put tin foil around the fuel pump line to carburetor.....I'm not sure how that will help??

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 04-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
One old timer told me to put tin foil around the fuel pump line to carburetor.....I'm not sure how that will help??
My car runs great as is, so I have nothing to contribute.

However, here is another tip from the "old timers"

Last edited by Rich Yanulis; 04-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:49 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Rich,
Some of the young guys might not know what they are, can you get them at AutoZone?
Bruce B
Old 04-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Rich,
Some of the young guys might not know what they are, can you get them at AutoZone?
Bruce B
Not AutoZone.......Your best bet is probably Kmart.

But you better hurry, because Sears/Kmart will cease to exist in the near future.
(retail dominance by Amazon)
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

EFI is superior in every way except simplicity. Fuel economy, emission control, driveability, reliability, maintenance, and performance. Even engine longevity is improved (more complete combustion, less unburned fuel and byproducts sneaking past piston rings). No carburetor ever built can match a properly-functioning EFI system in any way.

I was very slow to come around to this opinion, thinking for years that the relative simplicity of carburetion won out over the advantages of EFI, but I can no longer accept that argument. It just can't match up.

Live well,

SJW
Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think it is totally dependent on the application and use of the car.

Any comments?
Bruce B

I think you answered your own question.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
I start to get vapor lock if I sit at traffic for longer periods of time start to back fore and run like crap and If I shut my car off and let it sit for a couple of minutes and turn it back on it will star to act up. I thought of putting a spiral fan inside the shroud and hide a remote switch underneath dash. Help cool everything down

Read my reply and others in this thread regarding vapor lock.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The thread about "breaker-less ignition" is interesting but there is no general answer of which is better, points or electronic ignition, IMHO.
I think it is totally dependent on the application and use of the car. I have had a original Pertronix in my 62 for 20+ years with no problems.

I have used, played, screwed up both original Rochester fuel injection and EFI. Which is "better" is also without a answer IMHO.

I have had a first design 4360 unit on my 57 (sold) which performed flawlessly for many years under all conditions, hot, cold, etc. It was tuned by a professional and that was the key to good operation.
I now have a old Hilborn 8 stack mechanical injection which I converted to EFI using a FAST EZEFI 2.0 controller. It also runs very well and is actually pretty user friendly and even I can adjust and mess around with it.

Any comments?
Bruce B
I am a BIG fan of the Rochester, gas just doesn't like it tho.... so now it is converted to EFI and it runs flawlessly with the crappy gas...

I used to use a CD ignition with regular points and it worked flawlessly too, but that is gone with the EFI...

where one can get it trouble with new technology is when it is 'old' and no longer supported. I am now the possessor of 3 'orphans', an Accel EFI, a HotRodAir a/c, and a Keisler SS700...

Bill
Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Bill,
What ECU do you use?
Bruce B
Old 04-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SJW
EFI is superior in every way except simplicity. Fuel economy, emission control, driveability, reliability, maintenance, and performance. Even engine longevity is improved (more complete combustion, less unburned fuel and byproducts sneaking past piston rings). No carburetor ever built can match a properly-functioning EFI system in any way.

I was very slow to come around to this opinion, thinking for years that the relative simplicity of carburetion won out over the advantages of EFI, but I can no longer accept that argument. It just can't match up.

Live well,

SJW
you got it all on all points, but when something goes wrong it can be troublesome to diagnose and you need some expensive tools to do so. and that part scares most people and takes the "weekend" mechanic away. for most if a nail file, and a flat screwdriver can't fix it they have more even simple tools to diagnose
Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Any comments?
Bruce B
lets see some pics of the Hilborn setup please! that sounds sexy as hell!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:27 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Bill,
What ECU do you use?
Bruce B
Accel Thruster
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
My car runs great as is, so I have nothing to contribute.

However, here is another tip from the "old timers"

Hello

Ok that's a new why clothes pins ?? Keep the gas line away from the engine??

Yeah I am almost at the tender age of 49. I remember those used back in the good olds days lol Grandma and Mom used those ancient artifacts back in the day...
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

surprisingly, the intent of the clothes pins was not to keep the gas line away from the engine; I think it was some 'voodoo' magic, or just an additional heat sink...

whatever the purpose or the results, there were 'true believers'...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 04-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Technology, Good or Bad?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The clothes pins do the same thing as the fins on a radiator which are part of the tubes that the coolant runs through and disapates the heat away from the tube or in this case the fuel line. It will work if you can get enough of then on the fuel line to make a difference.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:09 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ganshert
lets see some pics of the Hilborn setup please! that sounds sexy as hell!
My Hilborn converted to EFI.
Note there are no fuel rails.
Iwill post some better pics tomorrow.

Name:  GASSER NO TOP 018.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  Hilborn +++++ 038.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  Hilborn +++++ 037.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  1.76 MB
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Clothes pins are a total urban legend. Wood is an excellent non-conductor of heat. That's why its used for carb heat spacers. The pins are nothing like the metal fins of a radiator or the heat sink on a power transistor.

The clothes pins have about as much effect as slaughtering a goat and spreading the entrails across the motor.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-28-2017 at 11:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
GTOguy (04-29-2017), rfn026 (04-30-2017), TJefferson2020 (04-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Technology, Good or Bad?