Sponsored by:

Z06 'play' in the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:40 AM
mpetty
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 'play' in the rear.

I am not sure if it is normal for a z06 or any manual car (my first manual is the z i currently own) When I let off the gas and then get back on it I feel a little bit of play. Like the diff has to catch up or something. Kinda like a split second delay between when I hit the gas and the wheels actually start to do something. Makes a little noise when it happens. Could it be rear suspension? I am hoping this is just normal..
Old 04-30-2017, 07:27 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mpetty
I am not sure if it is normal for a z06 or any manual car (my first manual is the z i currently own) When I let off the gas and then get back on it I feel a little bit of play. Like the diff has to catch up or something. Kinda like a split second delay between when I hit the gas and the wheels actually start to do something. Makes a little noise when it happens. Could it be rear suspension? I am hoping this is just normal..
I have a 02 coupe, and it has some play in it also, when I punch the gas from stand still, I haven't heard a sound from it when it does that, I just let off the gas when it gets a little fishy. I would say maybe it's normal? This is the fastest car I have owned ever! Loves it to pieces.
The following users liked this post:
mpetty (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 AM
mpetty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
I have a 02 coupe, and it has some play in it also, when I punch the gas from stand still, I haven't heard a sound from it when it does that, I just let off the gas when it gets a little fishy. I would say maybe it's normal? This is the fastest car I have owned ever! Loves it to pieces.
I went for an early morning drive and decided its probably just normal. The noise i was trying to describe was the transmission or something back there settling when i got off of the gas. the whole play thing is probably better described as a jiggle. So in end i have my lack of manual driving experience to thank
Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Inner and outer tie rod ends keep the rear wheels straight/aligned.

They should be changed well before 100k miles. I've seen the worn out on 60k mile cars. When you get on the gas the rear wheels cause the rear to get fishy (not talking about wheel spin). This can be very dangerous especially at higher speeds and you slam the next gear at redline and the tie rods flex and the rear squirms. Say hello to GOD.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Inner and outer tie rod ends keep the rear wheels straight/aligned.

They should be changed well before 100k miles. I've seen the worn out on 60k mile cars. When you get on the gas the rear wheels cause the rear to get fishy (not talking about wheel spin). This can be very dangerous especially at higher speeds and you slam the next gear at redline and the tie rods flex and the rear squirms. Say hello to GOD.
So what do you recommend if your going fast speeds where you won't lose control. My car has 31k miles
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

So what do you recommend if your going fast speeds where you won't lose control. My car has 31k miles
I simply said those tie rods get worn and make the tail end wiggle mainly when a dose of torque is applied. Not a good thing when the speed is high.

31k miles should be okay. Just in the future as the miles increase when the rear wheel(s) is in the air in front of you, grab the wheel at the 9 & 3 o'clock position and aggressively rock back and forth. If you feel any play at all it's a dangerous situation. 350+ ft lbs of torque makes that wiggle much more pronounced.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you guys playing with launching your cars with traction control on? If you spin your rear wheels, TC guts the power to your tires. It feels a little weird and unstable with power shifting between tires and locking up a little... and what you two are describing kind of sounds like it's on.

Next time you play around with launching your cars, hit the traction control button and see if what you're describing goes away. Traction control prevents you from learning to slip angle in corners, which effectively kills your ability to control the car at any speed in tight areas anyway. You will never feel confident if you drive with TC on at all times, because the car will do strange, unpredictable things around your traction limits.

I learned to drive in a miata, so it took me a few months to settle into my corvette and feel comfortable driving with traction control off at all times. It's surprising how much faster and more agile the car feels without the nannies constantly robbing power. It sounds like its time for you to take off your training wheels... most of the time, keep them on in the rain!
The following users liked this post:
mpetty (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I simply said those tie rods get worn and make the tail end wiggle mainly when a dose of torque is applied. Not a good thing when the speed is high.

31k miles should be okay. Just in the future as the miles increase when the rear wheel(s) is in the air in front of you, grab the wheel at the 9 & 3 o'clock position and aggressively rock back and forth. If you feel any play at all it's a dangerous situation. 350+ ft lbs of torque makes that wiggle much more pronounced.
Thanks for the advice, I wonder when I take my car to the dealer to get a oil change, maybe they will let me under my car.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Originally Posted by Scylla
Are you guys playing with launching your cars with traction control on? If you spin your rear wheels, TC guts the power to your tires. It feels a little weird and unstable with power shifting between tires and locking up a little... and what you two are describing kind of sounds like it's on.

Next time you play around with launching your cars, hit the traction control button and see if what you're describing goes away. Traction control prevents you from learning to slip angle in corners, which effectively kills your ability to control the car at any speed in tight areas anyway. You will never feel confident if you drive with TC on at all times, because the car will do strange, unpredictable things around your traction limits.

I learned to drive in a miata, so it took me a few months to settle into my corvette and feel comfortable driving with traction control off at all times. It's surprising how much faster and more agile the car feels without the nannies constantly robbing power. It sounds like its time for you to take off your training wheels... most of the time, keep them on in the rain!
Yeah I leave the traction control on at all times, so your saying the car would perform better with it off? Could I lose control of the car with it off, I don't know how to control it when you lose it.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:26 PM
mpetty
Advanced

I am not launching it. But the tie rods sounds like something i should get checked out when i go in for the valvespring swap at the dealer. Also i hit a pothole the other day and my ABS and tcs went out!!!! i get the service tcs service active handling service abs everytime i start it

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 'play' in the rear.

Quick Reply: Z06 'play' in the rear.