Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch job turning into a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch job turning into a nightmare

I purchased the LT1-SC twin disc setup with new master cylinder from Tick Performance. I took the parts to a shop that was highly recommended to me from a couple of Viper owners. He charged me 15.5 hours of labor for the job and that came to over $1,600. I get the car back last Thursday and the pedal felt weird so I call the shop, but was told there was nothing wrong. I take the car back and Monday and find that the clutch fluid reservoir was completely empty. I just got a call from the shop saying that it seems to be leaking from the slave cylinder. I called Tick and referred over to Monster. I am waiting to hear back from them, but I am worried that I am going to have to pay for labor twice because of defective parts or labor. $1600 is already way more than I read other people are paying for this job. Any of you guys have any experience or expertise in this area?
Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Howi152
I purchased the LT1-SC twin disc setup with new master cylinder from Tick Performance. I took the parts to a shop that was highly recommended to me from a couple of Viper owners. He charged me 15.5 hours of labor for the job and that came to over $1,600. I get the car back last Thursday and the pedal felt weird so I call the shop, but was told there was nothing wrong. I take the car back and Monday and find that the clutch fluid reservoir was completely empty. I just got a call from the shop saying that it seems to be leaking from the slave cylinder. I called Tick and referred over to Monster. I am waiting to hear back from them, but I am worried that I am going to have to pay for labor twice because of defective parts or labor. $1600 is already way more than I read other people are paying for this job. Any of you guys have any experience or expertise in this area?
You might say I'm an expert in being disappointed with clutches in Corvettes.

At this point, you're probably stuck with having the same people remove the drivetrain to see where the leak is coming from. It could have been installer error, or you could have just had a part failure. The Monster LT1 "premium" kits come with a speed bleeder and new GM slave. It's possible the bleeder was under or over tightened, or that the slave line was pinched/damaged during re-assembly.

Unfortunately, we can't give you much good advice. If it was an install issue, they should fix it for free. If it turns out it was a parts failure, you're probably going to have eat some of the labor costs again. First step is to identify _why_ it's leaking.

For what it's worth, I took my drivetrain out in 3 hours last weekend. 15.5 hours is waaaaaay too much time unless they were rebuilding the transmission at the same time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tech:
95rtturbo (05-22-2017), chassed (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

It's in the shop's interest to say it's a parts failure. Double $$$$$$$$$$$$ because you paid for job, and you also would have to pay for them to fix their sloppy work.

I'd take it somewhere else to verify.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:09 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

I call BS...The shop messed something up IMO...IF there was an actual leak after the install that caused the reservoir to be empty. YOU or THEY would have seen fluid somewhere. that stuff is pretty caustic and hard to miss...

How long exactly did it take you to realize the pedal felt weird? I think you should elaborate more on what weird is...is it sticking to the floor? is it too soft? to hard?

Who knows, they may not have bleed the damn clutch to begin with....

if they say it leaked, id ask for proof before you pay for another tear down...
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

I noticed that the pedal didn't come all the way up the first time I released it, but then it felt more normal after I released it two or three times. I drove the car a maximum of 80 miles since picking it up. By the time I was dropping it off this past Monday the engagement point was a 1/4 inch off the floor. I can sedo where it leaked on the floor of my garage. No doubt that there is a leak.

I just stopped by the shop and the owner said he would cover the labor, but wants to make sure there are no more problems. The big question is what failed and also...

Does the Monster LT1-SC twin disc need to be shimmed?

Last edited by Howi152; 05-17-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech
Safety Car

I noticed that the pedal didn't come all the way up the first time I released it, but then it felt more normal after I released it two or three times. I drove the car a maximum of 80 miles since picking it up. By the time I was dropping it off this past Monday the engagement point was a 1/4 inch off the floor. I can sedo where it leaked on the floor of my garage. No doubt that there is a leak.

I just stopped by the shop and the owner said he would cover the labor, but wants to make sure there are no more problems. The big question is what failed and also...

Does the Monster LT1-SC twin disc need to be shimmed?
The clutch does not need to be shimmed. But I think you're asking if the slave requires shimming. Monster addresses this in their FAQ on their site.

monsterclutches.com/lt1-twin-install-tips
Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tech
The clutch does not need to be shimmed. But I think you're asking if the slave requires shimming. Monster addresses this in their FAQ on their site.

monsterclutches.com/lt1-twin-install-tips
You're correct I meant the slave cylinder. I just read ther FAQs. I am still at a loss as to what exactly failed. It is a substantial leak though and is coming from the area of the slave cylinder.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Tech
Safety Car

You're correct I meant the slave cylinder. I just read ther FAQs. I am still at a loss as to what exactly failed. It is a substantial leak though and is coming from the area of the slave cylinder.
Only 3 things can really leak. There are two ports on the slave. One connection is done by the manufacturer before the slave hits the parts shelves. The other is a bleeder that is commonly replaced with a speed bleeder. The last thing could be the housing itself but that is pretty unlikely.

My money is on the speed bleeder install being botched, or the slave hydraulic line being damaged when the torque tube was reinstalled.

Last edited by Tech; 05-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

My bet is on the Tick Master over extending the slave and that making your slave fail. If the Tick Master is not adjusted correctly it can/will ruin your slave, ask me how I know.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brandon619
My bet is on the Tick Master over extending the slave and that making your slave fail. If the Tick Master is not adjusted correctly it can/will ruin your slave, ask me how I know.
The Tick masters was never installed.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Twinscrew
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you add a remote bleeder?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Howi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Twinscrew
Did you add a remote bleeder?
Yes
Old 05-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Twinscrew
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If its a tick bleeder, my guess is its hit the tunnel and has backed out causing your problem. I've seen it happen on at least 10 cars. Katech ones wont hit.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If its a tick bleeder, my guess is its hit the tunnel and has backed out causing your problem. I've seen it happen on at least 10 cars. Katech ones wont hit.
Been there, done that. Katech is well worth the money. My tick one broke and wasn't worth the $50 saved. Somethings paying extra for a quality part is worth it.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Theres a lot to be said for buying your parts from the company that's doing the install. If they didn't supply parts they are under no obligation to warranty them.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

It was a Tick bleeder. If that is the case I'll just need to replace rhe bleeder line right?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Tech
Safety Car

It was a Tick bleeder. If that is the case I'll just need to replace rhe bleeder line right?
The bleeder line itself probably won't be damaged. It screws into a fitting and that fitting screws into the slave. Probably the fitting is damaged or the slave. I'm not sure if you can get the fittings locally, however.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch job turning into a nightmare

Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tech
The bleeder line itself probably won't be damaged. It screws into a fitting and that fitting screws into the slave. Probably the fitting is damaged or the slave. I'm not sure if you can get the fittings locally, however.

The shop working on it told me that if that fitting/ slave was damaged then it would have leaked worse. Not sure that is true though.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:13 AM
Tech
Safety Car

The shop working on it told me that if that fitting/ slave was damaged then it would have leaked worse. Not sure that is true though.
I couldn't speculate on that since I didn't see it drip. Do you have an appointment to take it back?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM
Howi152
Intermediate

It's at the shop. He is waiting to receive a new slave before starting back into it. Hopefully it should be taken care of today. I'll update what happened when I find out
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-19-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch job turning into a nightmare