C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone been doing track days with Powerstop Z26 brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 AM
Motors5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Has anyone been doing track days with Powerstop Z26 brake pads?

Finally yesterday I swapped the standard pads on My Arctic White 2017 Z51 Stingray in favor for the Powerstop Z26 Extreme street performance. So tired of the brake dust already after 1600 miles! I cannot believe that it only took 2-3 days of driving until the black rims and the sides of the car (white) picked up the dust! It is not road dust, I put my finger on it and it is pitch black!

I thank you in this forum for the tips on products to use!

Now to the question: have anyone been doing track sessions with these pads?

Temperature spec seems great but will they work as good as the stock pads? You could change back to the stock version for track use but would like to avoid it if possible.

I will come back later in this thread with a verdict on the dust topic with the replacement pads.

I was positively surprised as everything was included with the product. This product also came with the vibration prevention weights, exactly as the originals and also the same type of wear warning. The main difference is that the stock pads on the 2017 Z51 are 90 degrees in the edges while the Powerstops have chamfered edges. They come with stainless steel back plates as compared to rubber like material on the stock version.
Great Forum!

//Motors5
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Good choice with these pads. They will eliminate most of the dust and will still perform very well on the street.

As for the track: The short answer is that NO, these pads were not designed to operate at the temperatures that will occur on the track and you should switch them.

What kind of driver on the track are you and what track do you go to? How often will you be going? For a first time novice who is just learning on a relatively slow track, they will likely hold up for a few sessions, maybe a day and that's it.

However, for anything beyond that you should be running a dedicated track pad, like Carbotech XP12 front, XP10 rear. There are many other choices here. Contact KNS Brakes or Amp'd. You should also flush the brake fluid with Motul 600 or Castrol SRF and change the oil to M1 15w50. My local track is Watkins and I have seen countless guys overheat their "street pads", create a dangerous situation and usually end up leaving early.

Good news is that pad swaps on our cars are a breeze.
The following users liked this post:
Motors5 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:24 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

I cannot tell you how much better these are than stock !! I struggled with the cost of doing it (yeah I am a miser) but the wheels honestly look as pristine as the day I put them on. There is a slight coating but the "dust" is a different color than stock due to the ceramics. Those that have not done it need not be worried about the process it is easy if you take your time. Performance is on par with OEM for sure although I cannot speak to the track perf.
The following users liked this post:
Motors5 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Motors5
Instructor

Default Has anyone been doing track days with Powerstop Z26 brake pads?

Thank you for the input!

Best Regards

Motors
Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 AM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

These are not track pads street only.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Z26 for Track Days

Yes, 400 miles combined on VIR, Summit Point (Main) and Dominion Speedway. No fading, no squealing, low dirt. DOT coefficient rated GG stock Brembo pads are rated FF.

http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm
Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 AM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Great idea for a thread. I've been VERY tempted to go to these pads for the low dust, but only if I can also use them for occasional track days. There were some videos from car guy 11 (hope I got that right) using them on the track, but that was all I saw until now.

In all the reviews I read, people typically said they were similar in stopping performance to the stock pads. As with all reviews, you have a few that swing in opposite directions saying they're better, and worse, and many did mention that the first stop of the day was typically slower until you build up some heat.

Thanks,
Rusty (also arctic white 2017 Z51)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

I am using the PowerStop Track Day pads for HPDE, with my Z51. This is their Track Day pads, not Z26. I talked to the PowerStop people before ordering. The compounds in the Z26 simply aren't intended for the heat levels you will generate with any amount of track use.

The Track Day pads are great stuff, much better than the stock Brembo pads. Last year I did one day at Watkins Glen on the stock Z51 pads. The braking performance held up ok, but by the end of the day the rotors were ruined due to uneven pad transfer.

This year I am back at WGI with the Track Day pads, and PowerStop higher carbon rotors. As my driving improves I am going much faster, using the brakes much harder, but the pads and rotors held up perfectly. Do yourself a favor and buy the track pads, they are not expensive, and changing them out is quite easy.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:52 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the Z26 for "Cosmetic reasons" = Low Dust. The power stops might be used by a few folks in track/HPDE, but the power stop folk CLEARLY state the Z26 IS NOT FOR TRACK USE....

My advice buy ceramic pads to specifically keep dust down for street/daily driving... Buy RACE pads for track days and be safe.

My 2 cent
L1FRDOG

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 05-20-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Anyone that changed out their stock pads for these want to sell me your stock (hopefully low mileage) z51 pads?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:46 AM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
Anyone that changed out their stock pads for these want to sell me your stock (hopefully low mileage) z51 pads?

Sorry, keeping Stock Brembos's fort track days
Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
If I can close a deal on a Z06 in the next few days, I'll have a set of those. Also have a replacement set of front OEM disks, brand new that I'll probably be selling, too.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
If I can close a deal on a Z06 in the next few days, I'll have a set of those. Also have a replacement set of front OEM disks, brand new that I'll probably be selling, too.
awesome. I would buy pads and rotors. PM me if you get that Z!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:04 AM
Motors5
Instructor

I have now driven 300 miles with the new pads and basically no dust at all. I performed the break-in procedure as described by Powerstop:s Manual.

The brake feel is softer than the original pads initially but I assume thy need some more time to settle in properly. Brake force during hard braking seems to be as good as the stock ones.

However I think the initial brake force will be a bit softer due to the tapered edges of the pads which gives them less surface area to the disc than the stock ones.

Very happy with the purchase so far! I will keep the stock pads for future track use.

All the best

Motors5

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone been doing track days with Powerstop Z26 brake pads?

Quick Reply: Has anyone been doing track days with Powerstop Z26 brake pads?