Sponsored by:

ACA Projector headlights replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 AM
harryk387
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default ACA Projector headlights replacement bulbs

I've got the ACA projector headlights on my C5Z and recently one of the HID bulbs went out. Until I order a new set of HID bulbs I wanted to temporarily put on the stock halogen. Went to Autozone yesterday and got the stock 9006 bulbs but they didnt fit in the ACA projector housing. Looked at the HID bulb that I removed and it says H8/H9/H11. So back to Autozone I went. They didn't have H8 or H9 so I got the H11. This time the H11 female connector didn't fit on the stock male connector.

Does anyone know which bulb will fit in the ACA projector headlight that will also connect to the stock headlight low beam connector?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 PM
OUTAKTRL
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

It's an H9
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on if you have early style or late ACA headlights. Do your bulbs twist in or do they have two bolts that hold a back strap in?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:23 PM
stilambo07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to replace my bulbs so resurrecting this thread. I think I have the older style Aca. My bulbs twist in. Can you tell me what his bulb size to order please. Believe e H9?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by stilambo07
I need to replace my bulbs so resurrecting this thread. I think I have the older style Aca. My bulbs twist in. Can you tell me what his bulb size to order please. Believe e H9?
Twist in is the newer (cheaper) style H9. Bolts were old style (superior) D1S.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up sending mine out to Radio flyer and having him do his conversion. By the time I put new D1S bulbs in I was half way there
Old 10-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
I ended up sending mine out to Radio flyer and having him do his conversion. By the time I put new D1S bulbs in I was half way there
A DIY alternative available now is to buy the retrofit brackets from lightwerkz and put in Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
A DIY alternative available now is to buy the retrofit brackets from lightwerkz and put in Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s.
I found the brackets on that site, but said they're for stock lights and not the ACA. The stock headlights have a diffused lense so would be kind of pointless to retrofit. I'm hoping their description is meant to say for ACA lights......do you know either way?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I found the brackets on that site, but said they're for stock lights and not the ACA. The stock headlights have a diffused lense so would be kind of pointless to retrofit. I'm hoping their description is meant to say for ACA lights......do you know either way?
I contacted them and verified that they were meant for ACA lights. I suggested they needed to update their website, but they didn't. Besides, there is no simple way to remove the reflector from the stock housing without completely destroying it.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

I contacted them and verified that they were meant for ACA lights. I suggested they needed to update their website, but they didn't. Besides, there is no simple way to remove the reflector from the stock housing without completely destroying it.
That's good to hear, i think I'll order a set. I have some generic H1 projectors and H1 HID bulbs sitting around so it'll be a nice upgrade. I think the plates are over priced, but beats trial/error and using a cutoff wheel to make my own. Ill have to see if any of the rubber housing caps fit or an alternative way to protect them from water since it's my daily.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Careful as not all H1 projectors have the same mounting pattern.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Careful as not all H1 projectors have the same mounting pattern.
Good point. I​​​​ know these match up with Morimoto, I used one of them to test fit the retrofit on the busa as I was cutting, sanding, etc to get a pair to fit.

I​​​​​ guess worse case, can always drill new holes if needed. Just may be a little pain to be certain it's aligned perfectly
Old 02-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Good point. I​​​​ know these match up with Morimoto, I used one of them to test fit the retrofit on the busa as I was cutting, sanding, etc to get a pair to fit.

I​​​​​ guess worse case, can always drill new holes if needed. Just may be a little pain to be certain it's aligned perfectly
Morimoto has changed over the years so… yeah. I'm about 95% certain the Morimoto 6.0 and previous have different mounting holes from the 7.0, which is what this bracket is designed for.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Morimoto has changed over the years so… yeah. I'm about 95% certain the Morimoto 6.0 and previous have different mounting holes from the 7.0, which is what this bracket is designed for.
I'll have to go back and look at my TRS receipt and see which ones I have to be safe. Fingers crossed they are the latter, I'd much prefer to use my generic ones over buying Morimoto. For me, they aren't "that" much better.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

I'll have to go back and look at my TRS receipt and see which ones I have to be safe. Fingers crossed they are the latter, I'd much prefer to use my generic ones over buying Morimoto. For me, they aren't "that" much better.

Thanks for the heads up!
If you got them from TRS, they're probably the Acme projectors, which are equivalent to Morimoto 3.0 and 5.0 if I recall correctly. Radioflyer uses Acme projectors in his ACAs, you can try contacting him to see if he would sell you just the brackets.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

If you got them from TRS, they're probably the Acme projectors, which are equivalent to Morimoto 3.0 and 5.0 if I recall correctly. Radioflyer uses Acme projectors in his ACAs, you can try contacting him to see if he would sell you just the brackets.
Just checked, the Morimoto MH1s are indeed 7.0s and got then June 2016. At one point I got some 6.0 bowls on clearance, I'll have to look and see if I still have them, they actually made a little difference on generics when I tested them. I have bought the Acme projectors at one point, but can't recall if that's what I have. I need to go dig thru my stash and see what I have, I have entirely too much surplus, lol.
Can't believe I didn't think to ask RadioFlyer if he'd be willing to sell the brackets, good idea. Hopefully he will and they're cheaper, plus supporting CF vendor is always good.

I kinda wonder what he uses to seal up the rear if the bowl to keep water out. Anyone happen to know?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 PM
stilambo07
Racer

H9 did not work. The connectors are not lining up. Pic below shows the correct fit on the left. The H9 is on the right. The metal prints are wider on the one that fits into the female end. I’m so over these cheap hid bulbs. I have the nice ACA rettrofit but sick of the heap bulbs. Do I have a better option? Can I go back to some nice stock bulbs and put them in the ACA projector lenses or will that defeat the purpose?

Get notified of new replies

To ACA Projector headlights replacement bulbs

Old 02-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Do a proper HID retrofit from Radioflyer or Lightwerkz. It's more money, but if you drive often at night, it's well worth it.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by stilambo07
H9 did not work. The connectors are not lining up. Pic below shows the correct fit on the left. The H9 is on the right. The metal prints are wider on the one that fits into the female end. I’m so over these cheap hid bulbs. I have the nice ACA rettrofit but sick of the heap bulbs. Do I have a better option? Can I go back to some nice stock bulbs and put them in the ACA projector lenses or will that defeat the purpose?

if your ACAs are retrofitted, then they likely will use H1 bulbs.

If you are speaking of just the regular ACA headlights that aren't reteofitted, i run H11 in mine right now with no issues.

​​​​​​Just to ask, is it possible to bend the metal prongs in/out to make them fit.

I have never been happy with the ACA projectors, yhe cutoff is crappy. I plan to retrofit mine this weekend hopefully, if they show up. Should be easy, i plan to start a thread and post pictures

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 02-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:56 PM
stilambo07
Racer

Yes I have the Radioflyer retrofitted ones...pictured below....similar. My problem is that if the hid and ballasts going out and I cannot seem to find the correct size bulb

Quick Reply: ACA Projector headlights replacement bulbs