C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes / Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM
GSJeff
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brakes / Rotors

I am going to replace my brakes and rotors and with SO many options
available I am needing help from the Corvette brotherhood with a reputable business to order them from. 2010 M6 GS, not looking for an
upgrade as car will probably never see a track (unfortunately). Surely
they can be ordered in a "package" deal?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Replaced front rotors/disc/pins last Spring, '08 Z06 w/ 44K at the time.
A lot of reputable forum supporting sponsors for brakes/pads etc and they're all good.
Pricing's across the board, usually substantially upgrading stock C6 systems.
I wanted to keep my Z stock.

Best price for stock OE AC-Delco replacements was/is Amazon, IIRC around $300 +/- a few bucks. Included S&H, FWIW.
Don't know if Gene (Cultrag) w/could do better.

Dealer quoted $850 for complete front brake job, P&L.
Hired an ASE certified wrench to do install for $125, done @ $450 complete.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Tate (06-02-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:13 PM
balljointnut
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

https://perfectbrakes.com/
Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you want a quality replacment brake pad I would recommend the Carbotech 1521 100% made in the USA. Non-corrosive dust will not harm your wheels or paint. I would recommend going with the 1 piece design. As far as rotors buy the GM factory rotors on line they are inexpensive.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

You can order by calling me at 216-780-8825 or direct at http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ Use promo code z28 at check out and save $$.

1 piece part numbers F: CT1185-S R: CT1185R-S
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 05-20-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I did a lot of research and spoke with the dealer and a few performance shops. My car spends most of its life with easy highway miles. All of them recommended OE AC Delco rotors for the z51 and I went with Akebono brake pads all around. It was not cheap but they are great and make absolutely no noise.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 AM
GSJeff
Intermediate

Thanks for all leads, I will be getting something done this week.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Amazon is decent for rotors/etc.

The carbotech Adam suggested are great, and well worth it IMO.

Even NAPA has a solid setup for pads/rotors.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:20 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Give a quick read-through of this thread if you're thinking OEM:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-pads.html

You'll re-think OEM when done.

I went Centric (Stop Tech) slotted (from TireRack.com) and Carbotech Bobcats for daily duty.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 AM
kenoverbey
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've put these on my last 2 vettes. Good coating and stop as well as OEM http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-D...5Y0S-z&vxp=mtr
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Brake Upgrade...?

Originally Posted by GSJeff
Thanks for all leads, I will be getting something done this week.
I too own a 2010 GS M6, I track a couple of times a year. I run OEM rotors and either carbotech 1251 one piece or Hawk pads. I have tons of braking power at high speeds. Consider what you are using the car for and buy appropriate equipment. The factory brakes on a GS will stop you hard and fast if needed.

My two cents braking "upgrades" without purpose...waist of money IMHO.

Boxcar

Last edited by Boxcar; 05-23-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
I too own a 2010 GS M6, I track a couple of times a year. I run OEM rotors and either carbotech 1251 one piece or Hawk pads. I have tons of braking power at high speeds. Consider what you are using the car for and buy appropriate equipment. The factory brakes on a GS will stop you hard and fast if needed.

Boxcar
Boxcar, you really should read the thread I posted, in particular, starting with post 14. OEM is a waste of money.

Originally Posted by R_W
Give a quick read-through of this thread if you're thinking OEM:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-pads.html

You'll re-think OEM when done.

I went Centric (Stop Tech) slotted (from TireRack.com) and Carbotech Bobcats for daily duty.

Last edited by R_W; 05-23-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:38 AM
GSJeff
Intermediate

Boxcar
Thank You, I am just looking for new rotors and pads and NOT wanting to get raped when I buy them, prices seem to be all over the board. Might just drop into a NAPA and see what they can get me. (?)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by R_W
Boxcar, you really should read the thread I posted, in particular, starting with post 14. OEM is a waste of money.
Sir R W,
I did in fact read your post. Directional or Non-directional on the front rotors has been understood for some time by most people who track their car. I concur with, and in fact use DBA 4000 front and rear rotors. They cost more, but they are worth it at 140+ mph on the back stretch of the Glen or down the back stretch of "Mario's Freeway" at MOSPORT.

But I stick to my answer, unless you are truly driving your car hard, I'd bet OEM non-directional rotors hold up. How many DDs of Z06 and GS are out there today on OEM with no issues.

My rule when it comes to my GS, spend money where it has value and feedback. Hard braking has value, so that is where I spend my money. Carbon fiber flash painted valve covers has no "track" value so I don't spend my money there.

So respectfully to the OP I stand by my reply. After all, it is my opinion you are correct, financial pencil pusher pushed for one rotor vs two. But, I do not think GM just said "screw them, let them crash in unsafe cars" either.

Spend your money on what is important to you...upgraded brakes or carbon fiber valve covers. It is your car OP, do as you Sir see fit.

Boxcar

Last edited by Boxcar; 05-25-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Boxcar
I did this also. the Carbotech 1251 are very good.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I have been on the same DBA4000 rotors (Z51) and Carbotech 1521 Bobcat pads for the last ~55k miles or so. I believe they are ready to be replaced again. I got just a little bit less life in them but that makes sense as my commuting has been more stop and go the last 5 years, where previously most of my mileage came from interstate driving.

I'm not sure what I'll use this go round. I've been relatively happy with the setup, but I believe there is a slight warp in the rotors now, and while I'm happy overall with the 1521 pads, I've never been happy with the initial bite of the pads when cold. I believe the original Z51 pads were better in the regard. After up to temperature, however, they seem to have the same stopping power with way less dust.

One thing I would recommend is to not just replace the rotors and pads, but replace the brake fluid as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

OE and comparable are great when the car is a DD and just doing highway and street driving. Check out Autozone, Rock Auto, Amazon, etc. Within the last year, I have changed all 4 pairs on my truck and Vette. I found the best price with Autozone as they have offers every other week or so. My Vette was my DD for years (its an 05) and the OE set up worked great.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes / Rotors

Quick Reply: Brakes / Rotors