C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Passenger side headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 02:05 PM
stevesite
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger side headlight motor

Crap, just posed a thread on the passenger side seat not leaning back and then the headlight on that side didn't open.........checked power from relay to motor and there is power to 3 prong connector but headlight will not open still...........sound like a motor to you guys/gals????????.......no sound or grinding so possibly not plastic gears huh?.......... where is the best place to get a motor and do you have to remove the entire assembly to replace just the motor??????
Old 05-20-2017, 04:00 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Could possibly be something stopping them from rotating. Open the hood fully and turn the headlights on. If there is something obstructing the rotation then they should rotate with the hood open. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:47 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

If it's an '88 or later car, the plastic bushings inside the headlight gear could have turned to dust (very common problem).
Old 05-21-2017, 07:28 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Run 12v directly to the motor to see if it turns. Also does it open using the manual turn ****? That would tell you if the bushings are okay.

I've replaced bushings in mine and that's wasn't a difficult job, don't see why the motor wouldn't be that hard to replace.

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/cata...+motor&x=0&y=0
Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM
stevesite
Advanced

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Could possibly be something stopping them from rotating. Open the hood fully and turn the headlights on. If there is something obstructing the rotation then they should rotate with the hood open. Let us know what you find.
Opened the hood, turned lights on, drivers side opens but passenger will not open...light does burn....but no noise from the motor at all.I did expect some noise such as maybe worn out plastic gears but no sound.... Checked power to the three prong connector and it has power to there..........tried to turn the **** on bottom of the motor but it is not turning............ really don't want to remove the headlight and assembly but will if I have to if I have to replace the motor.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM
stevesite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
If it's an '88 or later car, the plastic bushings inside the headlight gear could have turned to dust (very common problem).
It is an 86 with 73K miles on it but it sat in a garage for the last 4 yrs.......owner passed away.......
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
stevesite
Advanced

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Opened hood, turned light on, they burn but motor will not rotate the headlight until, drivers side is OK........checked power to the three prong connector and it has power to that, no obstruction that I can see, did try to turn **** on bottom f motor but it will not turn.....
motor ceased???????
Old 05-22-2017, 03:33 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesite
did try to turn **** on bottom f motor but it will not turn.....
motor ceased???????
Did it spin, but not rotate the headlight to open? Or would it not spin at all?
Prior indications bushings, later indicates DOA motor.

Last edited by bac22; 05-22-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger side headlight motor

Quick Reply: Passenger side headlight motor