C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Majestic_C7
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default General supercharger question

I've spent months reading threads here and on other sites trying to learn about my supercharger options for my 2014 Z51. As far as I can tell, it appears that the HP/Torque is very similar for nearly every model. But the prices vary quite a bit; you can get an A&A kit for around $5000 but an Edelbrock will run you more like $7500. That is a 50% premium and I can't for the life of me understand what you get for that extra $2500. The Magnuson is even more expensive...

Basically I am looking for a high performance, reliable, and safe supercharger (minimal risk to engine) that doesn't require any hacking on the rest of the car to get it installed. I'm not super picky about getting the power on the low vs the high RPM range (though I wonder if the smaller Z51 tires would struggle with the low end boost). I'm not sure if I will keep upgrading later for additional power, so it would be nice to get a unit that can scale with upgrades down the road. So what should I be looking at buying?

Thanks

Last edited by Majestic_C7; 05-21-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

A&A or ECS kit. The ECS kit will make more tq down low. Can't go wrong with either.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (05-25-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 04:57 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd go with the A&A kit and make 550rwhp+. Its very easy to maintain. Just change the oil and clean the filter. Mines been perfect so far.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:53 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

The reason you are seeing different prices that vary so much is because superchargers have two distinct styles. There is the roots style (twin screw) which is a positive displacement blower that mounts on the top of the engine. These have more low-end torque but also produce more heat that has to be dealt with. The other more popular kind is the centrifugal supercharger. These superchargers mount to the front of the engine, produce very similar peak numbers, and allow the engine to run a little bit cooler. It all comes down to preference really. Another thing to mention is that some supercharger kits include an augmented powertrain warranty such as the Edelbrock which will cover the powertrain for 3 years/36,000 miles as long as you use their supplied tune. you don't think that's free do you? LOL

Last edited by FYREANT; 05-21-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

I too spent months researching options. I went with an A&A kit for several reasons, not the least of which you eluded to...you aren't going to be able to put all the TQ from a roots blower on the pavement without new wheels & tires.

More important than the blower you chose is the tune. Pick a good tuner. There are several here that will give you a SAFE, powerful tune. Don't get too worried about the dyno queens...better to have a car that lasts than one that makes a few more hp on the dyno...and explodes on the way home.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with the A&A kit(Ti trim)--pulls 7.5psi peek. Tuned by Shane Hinds.

Car runs/pulls so smooth, you almost can't tell how much faster it is.

A&A 2nd to none. Shane Hinds tuning... speechlessly flawless!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:35 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Here is a thread comparison on this forum that will show you the differences between all the major supercharger kits.

All centri's are NOT created equal!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-sc-kits.html
Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you think you might want more power down the road...then ECS! Their novi 1500 is ready to make more power as is. When you're ready for more power past the base kit, just add meth, pull the restrictor plate and re-tune.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (05-25-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 AM
SgtMajUSMC(Ret)
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

ECS Novi 1500, TSP headers and meth installed a week ago and I look like the Joker with a permanent grin on my ugly mug.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM
jayjordon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i was able to install my Procharger kit in my garage on jack stands without cracking the coolant system and it runs like a raped ape. In 2014 I paid $5800 for the kit with Diablosport timer. I run it hard with zero issues. I recommend it highly.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To General supercharger question

Quick Reply: General supercharger question