Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XSPower Header Installation Review (Lots of Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:16 PM
msupc
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default XSPower Header Installation Review (Lots of Pictures)

Hello All,

I have had my 2001 base coupe for about a year now. Up until now the only modifications I had made were Borla S Type II cat backs and an Elite Engineering catch can. Well about two weeks ago I contacted Jon @ Huron Speed and ordered a set of their 1-3/4" 321 stainless steel headers with Xpipe and high flow cats. I was tickled with the price and they arrived on my front door step in 4 business days! Talk about quick delivery!

I am very pleased with the finish and build quality of the headers. The flanges were only very slight convex away from the block, which pulled in just fine during final tightening.

It was time to go to work disassembling the car. I was able to raise the car on four jack stands at each corner with a low-profile floor jack that I picked up from harbor freight for $84. It took about an hour to raise the car, remove the belts, coils, plug wires, and drop the H pipe. Next it took about 30 minutes to pull both of the manifolds out from the top. All of this work is very easy and straightforward.

After removing everything I went ahead and drained the oil and dropped the filter. I plugged the filter hole with a rag to maintain ample clearance for installation of the drivers side header. I then proceeded to wipe down and clean all of the exposed areas when I cam across a nearly burned in half wire!? The oil level sensor connector and wire must have been touching the factory exhaust manifolds and was nearly burned in half. I proceeded to repair the wire only to pull the wires out of the connector trying to install the passenger header. ADVICE - BE very careful sliding the headers (especially the passenger side) into place. Make sure you are not snagging any wires. I had to go to OReillys to pick up a new connector and some heat shielding. Problem solved!

You can see the burned wire here (I didn't snap pictures of the fix).

Now it was time to slide the passenger header into place. The instructions state to have the 02 sensors installed when putting the header in, but I left them out and installed them when the header was in place as it gives more clearance. Also - if you are reading this preparing to do this job, then take my advice and go ahead and drop the nut off of the motor mount and raise the engine until it contacts the cowl. This will give you more clearance and the header will slide into place without too much trouble.

Onto the drivers side. I had some buddies come over and help me put the headers in (I did all of the demo myself), and boy am I glad I did! Not only did we get the job done much quicker, but I don't know how I would have gotten the drivers side header into place without them. With the oil filter out, I trimmed the tab that hangs off of the batwing oil pan with a saw. We then removed the motor mount bolt and raised the engine on that side as much as possible. We disconnected the steering rack also. At this point we used a big friggin piece of pipe to pry the engine towards the passenger side and the header slid into place. This is about the only way that I could see the header fitting with the car on jack stands.

With both headers bolted up the X pipe went on without problem. We then slid the connector pipes onto the X pipe and bolted them to the catback. Make sure the level and true your tail pipes before tightening all of the hardware.

The car started right up after getting everything back together and didn't throw any codes either. Success! It sounds absolutely terrific and was worth every bit of trouble and money spent.

A huge thank you to Jon @ Huron Speed (Superman) for excellent customer service! Also a thank you to my pals that helped during install.

If anyone has any questions please ask! I am happy to help!

Last edited by msupc; 05-21-2017 at 03:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by msupc:
'Shifter (05-23-2017), ArmchairArchitect (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Congrats and nice write-up.
I installed my Kooks Long Tubes last August.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Glad you did this review . I'll be buying a set this fall .what kind of power gains did it Feel~ like you got after the install .where does the power really feel like it increased in the power curve ? Does it sound quiet till you get on it or does it rumble louder even at idle and low rpm ? Is the volume much louder now that you have headers ?
Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks! I'm planning to order XS Power headers for my car in a few weeks. If you could answer some questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1.) My mechanic will be installing on a lift. About how many hours do you think this install would take on a lift (just ballpark figure)?

2.) You mentioned issue installing headers on one side of the car. Do you think it'll be easy on that side if installed on a lift? Overall, do these slide into place relatively easy without too much effort (like Kooks or American Racing)?

3.) I tried calling, but can't get through to anybody. I noticed on the website it says an option is "Add C5 2.5" Catback for $525". Is that referring to adding an exhaust (mufflers and tips) in addition to headers and X-pipe? I currently have a Corsa Xtreme axle-back exhaust which I plan on keeping. I want the XS Power headers and X-pipe to bolt right up to the Corsa axle-back exhaust already on the car. Do you see any issues with them connecting or it should just bolt right up?

Thanks!

Last edited by Slo Yelo C5; 05-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:05 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Interesting that you had to do so much work for the driver's side. I did mine by myself on jack stands Spring of 2016 and it slid right in without any issues.

You may not have thrown any codes yet, but give it a good week or so and you might for the rear O2 sensors. Some modified anti-foulers will fix it if you do or get them tuned out.

I hope you wrapped up the front O2 sensors and tucked them away from the manifolds. They will melt real fast otherwise, especially since you didn't mention coating the headers.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 PM
msupc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexybird
Glad you did this review . I'll be buying a set this fall .what kind of power gains did it Feel~ like you got after the install .where does the power really feel like it increased in the power curve ? Does it sound quiet till you get on it or does it rumble louder even at idle and low rpm ? Is the volume much louder now that you have headers ?
My opinion on power gains: if you are looking for more power then you will be disappointed. My primary goal was a louder exhaust note while not being overbearing, and this system executes that very well. There may be a small SOTP increase in lower end torque, but it is minute. It is definitely very subdued until you get to around 2500+ RPM. It sounds very good above that, so it is quiet if your want to and loud if you want to. The low RPM rumble is increased slightly for sure. Volume is definitely much louder.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:17 PM
msupc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
Thanks! I'm planning to order XS Power headers for my car in a few weeks. If you could answer some questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1.) My mechanic will be installing on a lift. About how many hours do you think this install would take on a lift (just ballpark figure)?

2.) You mentioned issue installing headers on one side of the car. Do you think it'll be easy on that side if installed on a lift? Overall, do these slide into place relatively easy without too much effort (like Kooks or American Racing)?

3.) I tried calling, but can't get through to anybody. I noticed on the website it says an option is "Add C5 2.5" Catback for $525". Is that referring to adding an exhaust (mufflers and tips) in addition to headers and X-pipe? I currently have a Corsa Xtreme axle-back exhaust which I plan on keeping. I want the XS Power headers and X-pipe to bolt right up to the Corsa axle-back exhaust already on the car. Do you see any issues with them connecting or it should just bolt right up?

Thanks!
I would guess that your mechanic could get it done in 3-4 hours on a lift - depends on his familiarity with the LS1.

I/we struggled no more than 20 minutes per side to get the header into place. No big deal. I feel this install was really blown out of proportion online.

The answer to your first question in #3 is yes. That option is for the catback system. There will be no issue bolting the XSPower system up to your Corsa catback.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 PM
msupc
Instructor

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Interesting that you had to do so much work for the driver's side. I did mine by myself on jack stands Spring of 2016 and it slid right in without any issues.

You may not have thrown any codes yet, but give it a good week or so and you might for the rear O2 sensors. Some modified anti-foulers will fix it if you do or get them tuned out.

I hope you wrapped up the front O2 sensors and tucked them away from the manifolds. They will melt real fast otherwise, especially since you didn't mention coating the headers.
What is modified anti-foulers?

Didn't coat the headers, and tucked and zip tied all of the cables and wires away from the headers. I am fairly confident that they should be safe. The biggest concerns I have is the AC line on the passenger side and the steering rack. The AC line is very close to the header, but not touching. The steering rack is rubbing the header and I will be having a local muffler shop heat and bend the header slightly away from the rack in the morning.
Attached Images  

Last edited by msupc; 05-21-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good write-up on the install. Someday I may want to put LT headers on my car and this info will help.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

In my research it seems after adding headers A proper tune to account for the new flow often will give half the power gains for this mod . It's not uncommon to get 30 hp. I plan to get mine tuned ( ecs mail order ) once I add the headers

Last edited by Lexybird; 05-21-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by msupc
I would guess that your mechanic could get it done in 3-4 hours on a lift - depends on his familiarity with the LS1.

I/we struggled no more than 20 minutes per side to get the header into place. No big deal. I feel this install was really blown out of proportion online.

The answer to your first question in #3 is yes. That option is for the catback system. There will be no issue bolting the XSPower system up to your Corsa catback.
Thanks for the reply.

One thing...my Corsa exhaust is axle-back, not cat-back. Does that matter or the XS x-pipe will still bolt right up to the Corsa?

Sorry, I never understood the difference between axle-back and cat-back and just wanted to make sure this will all bolt up without issue.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Didn't coat the headers, and tucked and zip tied all of the cables and wires away from the headers. I am fairly confident that they should be safe. The biggest concerns I have is the AC line on the passenger side and the steering rack. The AC line is very close to the header, but not touching. The steering rack is rubbing the header and I will be having a local muffler shop heat and bend the header slightly away from the rack in the morning.
Do you know about how much it'll cost to have the muffler shop heat and bend the header away from the steering rack? I'd be interested in doing the same, so just curious how much (an estimate) I'll be looking at. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Antifoulers are old school for spark plugs. Local chain parts stores sell them really inexpensive. I called them modified as you have to enlarge the opening to fit over the O2 since they are designed for spark plugs. Do some searches here, they've been talked about before. Essentially they pull the O2 sensors further out of the exhaust stream so they don't read too rich (due to better flowing exhaust), and thus throw CE code for one of the banks. If you are planning a tune anyway, they would tune out the rear O2's.

That's too bad they are rubbing the steering rack, the newest version was supposed to have addressed that. That's why I waited to buy mine until others confirmed it. Hmmm, maybe slight differences in car tolerances.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

C5 axle back is considered cat back in most cases. Any bolt on axle back should bolt up to the XSPower headers with mid pipes. Mine are an older version and never rubbed the shaft although it was close. I swapped the motor and it was rubbing like yours. So I supported front cradle, loosened the 4 nuts, moved/pryed it towards the passenger side and tighten it back up. Fixed the rub and I was going in for an alignment anyways so it will be all good.
Chris
Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Nice write-up....thanks. Great pic's with write up.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 AM
msupc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
Do you know about how much it'll cost to have the muffler shop heat and bend the header away from the steering rack? I'd be interested in doing the same, so just curious how much (an estimate) I'll be looking at. Thanks.
Update - the muffler shop heated and dimpled the header free of charge! Mighty Muffler in Knoxville, TN is absolutely terrific!

Last edited by msupc; 05-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Looks good. Mine rub too, but only under high speed right hand sweepers.

Get notified of new replies

To XSPower Header Installation Review (Lots of Pictures)

Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
C5 axle back is considered cat back in most cases. Any bolt on axle back should bolt up to the XSPower headers with mid pipes. Mine are an older version and never rubbed the shaft although it was close. I swapped the motor and it was rubbing like yours. So I supported front cradle, loosened the 4 nuts, moved/pryed it towards the passenger side and tighten it back up. Fixed the rub and I was going in for an alignment anyways so it will be all good.
Chris
Thanks!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Update - the muffler shop heated and dimpled the header free of charge! Mighty Muffler in Knoxville, TN is absolutely terrific!

Nice.

You sealed the deal for me with this post. I was strongly considering XS Power headers (over other brands), but now I'm definitely going that route.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Scotty_Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I've seen a lot of hate on these for being "cheap" headers but I had some on my first c5z and I thought it was an excellent product, especially for the price. awesome write-up

Quick Reply: XSPower Header Installation Review (Lots of Pictures)