Leather Re-dyeing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:40 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
Default Leather Re-dyeing

As I have said in previous posts, we were fortunate to have found a car with only 11,800 miles last July. However, here in Ohio, unless a vehicle is kept in a climate controlled environment, the interior can trap moisture if it sits too long. The folks that we got it from left it sit too long.

As a consequence, the seats got mildewed and were stained. I have contacted a company that has a franchise local to me.

http://www.fibrenew.com/ is the company

Any one use them before ? Assuming we come to terms and I use them, I will give my opinions on how it worked out.

Here are some pics of the seat bottoms with mildew specs. The rest of the interior is perfect. I scrubbed the carpet and used a product called Ozmium that kills any orders. It will even kill wet dog, the smell of cigarettes, etc.

I tried the trick that "Wheeler Dealers" used of putting leather cleaner on the seat, putting it in a black plastic bag, and setting in the sun. It didn't lift the stain out, but the cleaner/conditioner sure was sucked into the leather !!!

I just missed a set of new leather covers that were down by my brother's place in Raliegh, NC. The guy had bought and never installed them. He had them on Craigslist for $225.00.

Last edited by drcook; 05-21-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The following 2 users liked this post by corvetteronw:
confab (05-21-2017), jdmtra (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:38 PM
drcook
Safety Car

That probably would be good for old nasty seats but I wonder about the longevity of the underlying leather. Rustoleum is an oil based paint. Granted the lacquer thinner cuts it down, but it is still oil based.

Other than the mildew spots, my seats look like seats (wearwise) that have only 14,000 miles on them. The foam is not broken down, etc. The plan is to re-dye the leather in the correct GM dye color and then reclear them. They will look new, as does the rest of the interior.

We are also making padded covers for the EM harness bar I installed. We found some upholstery vinyl that matches the 1996 red perfectly. Pictures will follow when we get them done. We actually tried velcro first and it worked great but the glue didn't hold. We are going to sew in zippers.

Thanks for sharing though, other folks will find it useful to extend seats that are otherwise nearing the end of life.

Last edited by drcook; 05-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:44 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I know nothing about this so you are obviously making a huge mistake listening to me, and your car will probably blow up as a direct result. (Won't you feel stupid?)

But I did dye everything but the seats with a dye (They called it a dye?) I got from Keen's in Miamitown Ohio. I think It was Corvette America brand.

I did hard plastics. Vinyl.. So far, it looks great.

Rather than Rustoleum, maybe that would work better? It is marketed as a "dye" and it is color matched to your car by year. It works really good and I was impressed with it.

FWIMBW.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM
drcook
Safety Car

I too have done vinyl/plastics with a special purpose dye. It held up quite well. In fact, lots of factory repair panels are shipped to the repair shop and then dyed to match the interior.

A couple of the major Corvette suppliers have dye kits for leather. However, for approximately $125.00 per seat (top and bottom) it is worth it to me to have someone who makes a living at restoring leather do my seats so that they are in as good a shape as the rest of the car.

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...ategoryid=X295

I am going to try and show it at the Summit Racing Power and Piston show next year and want to have it as pristine as possible. If not next year, then it will be done for the year thereafter.

I will never be able to afford to out and out buy another Corvette, but I can afford to piecemeal this one into a really nice ride.

Last edited by drcook; 05-21-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

This was a spray can product. If memory serves, it's about 20 bucks a can.

But it covered a lot and it looks great thus far.

I'm very impressed.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

I have used MAGIC MENDER with success. Factory colors are supplied:

https://www.leatherrepairkits.com
Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Sunandfun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
I have used MAGIC MENDER with success. Factory colors are supplied:

https://www.leatherrepairkits.com
You might try Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner first. I know it sounds crazy, but it cleans dirty leather seats like nothing I have ever tried. Just make sure to condition them after.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Sunandfun
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Sunandfun
You might try Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner first. I know it sounds crazy, but it cleans dirty leather seats like nothing I have ever tried. Just make sure to condition them after.
Here's a link on Youtube as well
Old 05-22-2017, 11:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
That probably would be good for old nasty seats but I wonder about the longevity of the underlying leather. Rustoleum is an oil based paint. Granted the lacquer thinner cuts it down, but it is still oil based.

Other than the mildew spots, my seats look like seats (wearwise) that have only 14,000 miles on them. The foam is not broken down, etc. The plan is to re-dye the leather in the correct GM dye color and then reclear them. They will look new, as does the rest of the interior.

We are also making padded covers for the EM harness bar I installed. We found some upholstery vinyl that matches the 1996 red perfectly. Pictures will follow when we get them done. We actually tried velcro first and it worked great but the glue didn't hold. We are going to sew in zippers.

Thanks for sharing though, other folks will find it useful to extend seats that are otherwise nearing the end of life.
I kinda wonder about that. The foam is that old. Anyway, lets say you can pull the covers and do what you want to do for cheap (usually comes at a cost later), are you sure you want to be in that car with mildew inside? Sure, it sucks to spend more money but if it were my car, NFW would I want to ride in it after I know the seats have mildew any more than I would want a house with mildew in the walls unless it is properly treated and removed.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Sunandfun
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aklim
I kinda wonder about that. The foam is that old. Anyway, lets say you can pull the covers and do what you want to do for cheap (usually comes at a cost later), are you sure you want to be in that car with mildew inside? Sure, it sucks to spend more money but if it were my car, NFW would I want to ride in it after I know the seats have mildew any more than I would want a house with mildew in the walls unless it is properly treated and removed.
Just to be clear, I used the scrubbing bubbles technique on like new seats in my F150. I wouldn't do it on cracked old seats. Worked great, just need to put a leather conditioner back on when done. My link didn't work to Youtube (I am new to the forum and don't know how to do it) - here is the url

Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sunandfun
Just to be clear, I used the scrubbing bubbles technique on like new seats in my F150. I wouldn't do it on cracked old seats. Worked great, just need to put a leather conditioner back on when done. My link didn't work to Youtube (I am new to the forum and don't know how to do it) - here is the url

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SgTBhNnaw
My issue is the mildew. Not sure I really want either in that close proximity.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:19 PM
drcook
Safety Car

All mildew is gone. All that is left is the black stains it left. Or it could have been a cushion, or cloth seat covers. That I don't know. Everything is scrubbed out. No smell. Here in Ohio, if a car sits over winter without being opened up it will be musty smelling inside. It is not like black mold and it didn't go any further than just on the surface. If there was anything left, it would have smelled after sitting from late November to the beginning of April this year.

Yes we have a short Corvette season unless you are one of the folks that drive their Vettes in the salt. There are some that do.

Last edited by drcook; 05-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drcook
All mildew is gone. All that is left is the black stains it left. Or it could have been a cushion, or cloth seat covers. That I don't know. Everything is scrubbed out. No smell. Here in Ohio, if a car sits over winter without being opened up it will be musty smelling inside. It is not like black mold and it didn't go any further than just on the surface. If there was anything left, it would have smelled after sitting from late November to the beginning of April this year.

Yes we have a short Corvette season unless you are one of the folks that drive their Vettes in the salt. There are some that do.
Is there an upholstry shop that will dye or paint or whatever they call it?

I drive it in the winter but not if there is snow on the ground but here they dump salt and more salt so there will be some leftover.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
Is there an upholstry shop that will dye or paint or whatever they call it?

I drive it in the winter but not if there is snow on the ground but here they dump salt and more salt so there will be some leftover.
yes, the link is (also up in original post) http://www.fibrenew.com/

it is a franchise type business. the local franchisee is going to come to me and do the work in my driveway. there are examples of their work on the website

check them out and bookmark the site. you might need them some day. go in a check out some of the repair work they show
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 PM
drcook
Safety Car

The seats were done today. We are satisfied with the results. There is just the slightest little bit that shows through if you know where to look. However, overall, the seats are great and I no longer cringe when someone looks inside.

They have to dry for 24 hours. The clear they use has to achieve its final molecular setup and then it will be as good as factory.

I will post pics the next sunny day we get after tomorrow before I put them back in the car. Who knows when that will be.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

SOunds like you hit on a good solution to your issue! Keep us posted on the final outcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather Re-dyeing

Old 06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Here are pics of the finished product. As you can see, the seats look really nice. My phone doesn't filter as good as a camera, but the difference between the 1st pics (above) and these is readily apparent.

Rich did a really good job and I can recommend him to the folks that live in my area. For people in other areas, check out the other franchises. It is a viable alternative to buying new seats or living with ugly.

http://www.fibrenew.com/canton/

Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

They look brand new, nice job sure was done!
Old 06-08-2017, 01:21 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

There is another company in my area that I have coming to do my seats next week. I will post some before and after pics when they finish.
http://www.wecanfixthat.com/services...r-seat-repair/

Quick Reply: Leather Re-dyeing