82 CE question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 03:58 AM
Darth Z
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 82 CE question

I just came across this pic of an CE:

I noticed that it doesn't have something, that my dad's does have. Sorry, no pics of what I am referring to. Basically, it's 4(?) round, black pieces, about as big size of a quarter, mounted through the body. I asked my dad when I was a kid what that was, and he said it was a rack for the T-tops. I didn't really believe that, because it seemed to me, to be a pretty risky place to put such a fragile, expensive, and CRUCIAL component of the car.

I guess what I am asking, is what is this feature? I have NEVER seen a CE, or ANY 87-82 Corvette with anything on the rear deck that I can recall. Secondly, why does my dad's car have it, and this one doesn't? The original owner of the car is one of the more wealthy, in one of the bigger cities in Louisiana. So, I am sure the car is fully loaded. He had bought the car and a big diamond ring as gifts, for some leach that he was shacking up with, who used the T-top to verify that the diamond was real.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Darth Z
...I guess what I am asking, is what is this feature?...
Optional V54 roof panel carrier.

...why does my dad's car have it...
It was ordered.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-22-2017 at 06:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Darth Z (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Darth Z
Advanced

Thanks! Yeah, I literally came across a CE that had them, right after I posted this. lol I know I have never seen a car with this in person now. Kinda tacky, and it sucks that they had to create holes in the body for it. I'd be afraid to store my toos there! :/
Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 AM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Optional V54 roof panel carrier.

It was ordered.

Wow that V54 option is hideous.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM
corvette427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it all depends on your taste. I agree, it's a shame you have to run around with 4 holes in your rear deck when it's not attached, but the look of them on there has grown on me. Mind you, I also agree that I'm not too keen on driving anywhere with my glass tops mounted like that, but it is secure when it's on there, and I've heard of plenty of folks who have driven with it like that.

It was a somewhat rare option, and even more so on a Collector's Edition. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the rack pieces, but I was lucky and able to pick up a set in excellent condition for half of what they were going for on Ebay.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM
corvette427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And it's a definite conversation starter at car shows!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:37 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default rarest option

Thanks! Yeah, I literally came across a CE that had them, right after I posted this. lol I know I have never seen a car with this in person now. Kinda tacky, and it sucks that they had to create holes in the body for it. I'd be afraid to store my toos there! :/
On a 82 CE this is the most rare option by production numbers.
The following users liked this post:
corvette427 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Darth Z
Advanced

It's definitely an unusual piece. The cars look so much better without it. Like you said, it's probably just an acquired taste. That's one of the few missing pieces of my dad's CE. Considering that it went into a bayou though, I guess it's pretty lucky to be that complete.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:16 AM
A68CORD
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default V54 Instalation Video Available ?

Has anyone seen a installation Video for the V54 t-top carrier for the 1978 thru 1982 Corvettes ?

If so , could you send it to me at A68CORD@AOL.COM

I have one, but I haven't used it yet with all the posts of possible paint damage or losing one while driving .https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lies/crazy.gif

Thanks,
-Polski-
Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 PM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by A68CORD
Has anyone seen a installation Video for the V54 t-top carrier for the 1978 thru 1982 Corvettes ?

If so , could you send it to me at A68CORD@AOL.COM

I have one, but I haven't used it yet with all the posts of possible paint damage or losing one while driving .https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lies/crazy.gif

Thanks,
-Polski-
Not a video but try this link. I used it when I installed mine and made it a lot easier. I had my carrier and parts for 2 years bedore i got the nerve to do it. Ron is also a forum member and helped alot.

http://www.capitalcorvetteclub.ca/index.php/our-garage/tidbits/24-t-top-carrier-install

Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 AM
Darth Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by rastafford3164
Not a video but try this link. I used it when I installed mine and made it a lot easier. I had my carrier and parts for 2 years bedore i got the nerve to do it. Ron is also a forum member and helped alot.

http://www.capitalcorvetteclub.ca/in...arrier-install

Ouch! The pics of that install look painful. Not sure I would have the heart to drill into the body of my Corvette like that!

Does anything hold the brackets to the mounts? I can't recall ever noticing any threads inside of the mounting points. I can't imagine that the pins on the carrier just drop into the mounting parts, without securing them.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Does anything hold the brackets to the mounts?...
Thumb screws. You can see them in the pic I posted.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 CE question

Quick Reply: 82 CE question