C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 GS Hitch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
j.fet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 GS Hitch Recommendations

I am looking to get a hitch installed on myC6 GS, can anyone recommend a place in Los Angeles? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Great deal on Amazon open-box if it fits. Shouldn't be hard to find a shop (like a muffler shop) to install...pretty straight-forward.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Only took me about two hours to put that on mine.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
j.fet
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Great deal on Amazon open-box if it fits. Shouldn't be hard to find a shop (like a muffler shop) to install...pretty straight-forward.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used

Thank you!!! I just bought it.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:00 PM
j.fet
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
Only took me about two hours to put that on mine.

Iam just nervous about scratching the bumper. I am sure I can do itmechanically.

Wishyou were closer so I could beg you to help me.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:10 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

It really is easy. And not much risk of scratching the bumper either. You don't get anywhere near the painted section. There are several youtube videos out there on how to that should belay your fears. My biggest problem during the whole install was trying to hold the mufflers out of the way while drilling the holes for the support brace. It really would help to have an extra set of hands.
The following users liked this post:
j.fet (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 AM
j.fet
Instructor

It really is easy. And not much risk of scratching the bumper either. You don't get anywhere near the painted section. There are several youtube videos out there on how to that should belay your fears. My biggest problem during the whole install was trying to hold the mufflers out of the way while drilling the holes for the support brace. It really would help to have an extra set of hands.
Any tricks for not loosing the nuts in the frame? I'm going to give it a shot, what's the worst that could happen. Thank you for the encouragement. I just keep picturing laps at the track on race tires!!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

There is a spring wire in the kit that you coil onto the bolt to feed it through the holes. Pretty straight forward. I watched this video and then went for it. If you are at all handy it is really as easy as it looks.

j.fet (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:36 PM
j.fet
Instructor

There is a spring wire in the kit that you coil onto the bolt to feed it through the holes. Pretty straight forward. I watched this video and then went for it. If you are at all handy it is really as easy as it looks.

https://youtu.be/BXVE0ZjiHlU

Ok, great. what did you use for a wire harness?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:49 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by j.fet
I am looking to get a hitch installed on myC6 GS, can anyone recommend a place in Los Angeles? Thanks.
I know that you already know this, ... but a C6 Corvette is not designed or intended to tow ANYTHING, if you want, I will spend the time to go through the owners manual to post the proper page
Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 PM
j.fet
Instructor

Originally Posted by 449er
I know that you already know this, ... but a C6 Corvette is not designed or intended to tow ANYTHING, if you want, I will spend the time to go through the owners manual to post the proper page
Thanks! I know, it's just some tires for the track, I'm going to roll the dice.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:45 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There are lots of things that aren't designed or intended to do, but are done regardless. Most of the time it's because there is not a reasonable or workable alternative. MacGyverism in action.

j.fet (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Ok, great. what did you use for a wire harness?
I did not use a wiring harness as I am only using it for a bike carrier and hitch haul. I have not place to put any kind of trailer.
j.fet (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:19 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

I am curious, outside of the comment in the owner's manual, why do you feel the corvette is not designed to tow ANYTHING?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

He's going to have a problem getting that particular hitch around the NPP exhaust that comes on that GS. This will by no means be a simple one or two hour bolt on job. Not even close. This will take several hours and some creative welding to clear the NPP parts back there. It's certainly doable, I have a curt hitch on my z, but no part of doing it is easy or fast.

jmeirhofer you have a base exhaust with no NPP actuators, for you it was a bolt on. That will not be the case for the OP and his GS with NPP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sox-Fan:
j.fet (05-24-2017), jmeirhofer (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM
j.fet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
He's going to have a problem getting that particular hitch around the NPP exhaust that comes on that GS. This will by no means be a simple one or two hour bolt on job. Not even close. This will take several hours and some creative welding to clear the NPP parts back there. It's certainly doable, I have a curt hitch on my z, but no part of doing it is easy or fast.

jmeirhofer you have a base exhaust with no NPP actuators, for you it was a bolt on. That will not be the case for the OP and his GS with NPP.
I read about this, is it still an issue if you change the exhaust to magnaflow cans?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Very true and thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed the GS part. There are a few threads on here that show what mods are necessary and even one poster who posted a custom version of a hitch for use with NPP. Maybe one of those will work. Here is one of them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-details.html

Get notified of new replies

To C6 GS Hitch Recommendations

Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The following 2 users liked this post by Jughead:
j.fet (05-24-2017), tabing (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I read about this, is it still an issue if you change the exhaust to magnaflow cans?
I cannot speak to Magnaflow. Never had them on my car. Never seen them. Don't know how large they are or where they lay (as in, if they are in the way or not). I have a z06, which made it doubly hard. NPP and aluminum frame. We modified my Curt hitch in such a way as to both clear the NPP and not require any holes to be drilled in the frame - which on a z is aluminum. At least on the GS you have a steel frame.
j.fet (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 PM
j.fet
Instructor

I cannot speak to Magnaflow. Never had them on my car. Never seen them. Don't know how large they are or where they lay (as in, if they are in the way or not). I have a z06, which made it doubly hard. NPP and aluminum frame. We modified my Curt hitch in such a way as to both clear the NPP and not require any holes to be drilled in the frame - which on a z is aluminum. At least on the GS you have a steel frame.
Any pictures I could leverage?

Quick Reply: C6 GS Hitch Recommendations