C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

None-Ceramic Brakes Pulsation/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 PM
BearmanZ06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default None-Ceramic Brakes Pulsation/Vibration

Hey Guys,
I got my 2016 Z06 about two weeks ago with 2,500 miles. after an oil change i opened it up a little (140 mph) and as i'm slowing down i felt a severe vibration coming from the front brakes. drove it for a little while and it got worse and the pulsation/vibration appeared even when i'm not applying the brakes at all. It sounds like i'm experiencing the vibration when the wheels/brakes are getting a full spin cycle and obviously happening faster as i'm going faster. i took the car to the dealership this morning and I've been told that a vibration is definitely coming from the front brakes and that only tomorrow they will tell me if it is covered under warranty or not. there's not a TBS on the Z06 brake, only on the Z51. any chance it won't be covered? never tracked the car and the tires are in great shape and doesn't look abused at all

i'll appreciate the help/input about the subject

Ben.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

One problem with big brakes which are only lightly used, is that they can put down uneven pad deposits on the rotors, resulting in what many people refer to as the "warped rotor" syndrome (even thought the rotors aren't warped, but a new set of rotors will give a fresh start at laying down the deposits).

If you use the "bed-in" procedure for racing brakes, that will probably fix it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
BearmanZ06 (05-22-2017), HeyDanNiceShot (05-22-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:32 PM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Had my front rotors replaced under warranty with 7500 miles on the odometer. 2k miles later and the pulsation is back once again. Several members have experienced the same issue. I guess the car will go back again and again until they fix the issue which there probably isn't one.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:27 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

No need to replace the rotors.

Go out on an empty road and do six 60-20 stops quite hard without getting into ABS and then six more 80 to 30 stops the same way and then drive for 10-15 minutes without using the brakes or only lightly. The pulsing and likely any light brake squeal will be gone.

What you feel is uneven brake pad deposit on the rotors. The Stoptech website has great brake technical articles including the "warped rotor myth",
Old 05-29-2017, 10:11 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

AzDave47 has the answer.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:00 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyv
AzDave47 has the answer.
I specifically brought up the "uneven brake pad material on the rotors" several times during my last visit and told them I didn't think the rotors were warped.

GM still replaced all four rotors under warranty.

Go figure.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:43 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
I specifically brought up the "uneven brake pad material on the rotors" several times during my last visit and told them I didn't think the rotors were warped.

GM still replaced all four rotors under warranty.

Go figure.
Good for you, until they don't.

Then use the process above rather than spend a few $100 of your own money replacing rotors that just need a short workout as described above.

At some point GM may tell dealers not to replace the rotors and just have them worked on above like they did when the told dealers not to replace cats for a CEL cat code when all that was needed was to reflash the ECM for a few $ rather than $000s for cat. replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To None-Ceramic Brakes Pulsation/Vibration

Quick Reply: None-Ceramic Brakes Pulsation/Vibration