C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

door ajar switch

Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default door ajar switch

I know the common issue with this switch is that the plunger on the end breaks etc, or it doesn't move properly.

My problem seems to be a bit different.

Mine went bad, so I replaced it with one from Zip. Well after about 2-3 months it died. I got it replaced, and swapped it out, everything fine...for 2-3 months (over winter so only open and close door 10-15 times) and now this one isnt working.

It moves fine, and the plunger is still there. Pushing it in by hand doesn't do anything. Is there an electrical issue that could be causing this to short out and make the switch go bad?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:47 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexracer77
I know the common issue with this switch is that the plunger on the end breaks etc, or it doesn't move properly.

My problem seems to be a bit different.

Mine went bad, so I replaced it with one from Zip. Well after about 2-3 months it died. I got it replaced, and swapped it out, everything fine...for 2-3 months (over winter so only open and close door 10-15 times) and now this one isnt working.

It moves fine, and the plunger is still there. Pushing it in by hand doesn't do anything. Is there an electrical issue that could be causing this to short out and make the switch go bad?
Define Doesn't work, You open the door The lights Don't come on or you driving down the road with a Door ajar light blinking.

Also what year car?

Last edited by s carter; 05-23-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

92, open door radio stays on. Open passenger door, radio turns off.

First time it died, it was intermittent, this time, it was working earlier in the day, then just didn't work, and hasn't worked since.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

92, open door radio stays on. Open passenger door, radio turns off.

First time it died, it was intermittent, this time, it was working earlier in the day, then just didn't work, and hasn't worked since.
Sounds like a contact problem, Try spraying the plunger with a Contact Cleaner with the Plunger pushed in my car did the same thing about a year ago, Hit with a Shot of WD-40 and it's been good.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

The aftermarket switches have problems and they all come from the same vendor. I ordered one and it was intermittent right when I installed it. I finally ordered some used ones on eBay and the one I put in has been working fine. Seems the aftermarket ones they make now have too much lateral play and I bet if with the door open you move the plunger side to side it will make and break contact. The vendor I bought the switch from refunded my cost and told me that all the new ones come from the same place and have issues.
The following users liked this post:
Rexracer77 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

I will try moving it side to side.

Both times, they worked perfectly for the first few months then suddenly die. It seems like there could be a electrical problem making them go bad. =\
Old 05-24-2017, 01:32 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I will try moving it side to side.

Both times, they worked perfectly for the first few months then suddenly die. It seems like there could be a electrical problem making them go bad. =\
If you still have the original one try moving it side to side and then do the same on a new one, I think you will be surprised at the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To door ajar switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door ajar switch