Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please give me the business on ls1 bolt ons :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Please give me the business on ls1 bolt ons :)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but not new to Corvettes, having had an '03 back in '04, but this is my first time being dissatisfied with the power coming out of one. I just picked my girl up a couple weeks ago, and while it was love at first sight, my additional years of time spent with higher powered cars is leaving me with a bit of a yearning. Can anyone school me on what the cool kids are doing bolt on wise to their Vetts? Mine is an 01 A4 Coupe with 3.15's. Already has a Volant twin cone intake, upgraded duct (brand?), coupler, magnaflow x-pipe, and Corsa Sport model Ti exhaust.

So the basics are done, I'm just curious what else to do without cracking into the block, I've read mixed reports on the possibility of getting close to 400 rwhp without a cam, so if not that high, as high as I can without. Ive been confused as all hell by the variety of intake manifolds and throttle body options out there, and am further limited by living in CA, so I'm looking at shorties, and am stumped why the B&B's are over twice as much as the BBK's. I'm planning on opening up the plastic near the fog lights to let as cold of air into the intake as possible and negate the benefits of other higher end intakes.

The shocks are crapped out on it, as its pretty floaty and the front end pulls super high on WOT, so I'm thinking about adding C6Z shocks, if anyone knows the cheapest place to grab those I'm all ears.

Basically I'm thinking about headers, maybe high flows if i can BS my way past smog, screwing with intake manifolds and TB's, and maybe upgrading plug wires and fuel delivery if beneficial. And am looking for the best suggestions. Also whatever other bolt ons that help build power that i may be missing. This is my daily driver and I've got a decent commute, so i don't want to mess with shorter gears. Thanks for your time everyone!
-Gabe

Last edited by GabeNation; 05-23-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

400whp without a cam? no.

Your 01 A4 would likely make 285-300rwhp with the modifications you have.. that intake and that exhaust do not add much (maybe 5-8hp total). If you add headers and a dyno tune you will be in the 325-330whp range at best.

IMO sound like you need to do your shocks ASAP. Check out Cultrag or the used forum here.

Outside of that, for your car I'd suggest headers, stall, gears.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roddy13
400whp without a cam? no.

Your 01 A4 would likely make 285-300rwhp with the modifications you have.. that intake and that exhaust do not add much (maybe 5-8hp total). If you add headers and a dyno tune you will be in the 325-330whp range at best.

IMO sound like you need to do your shocks ASAP. Check out Cultrag or the used forum here.

Outside of that, for your car I'd suggest headers, stall, gears.
Thanks, yeah I'm getting that its a pipe dream, I was just told that it was possible, but I'm thinking the person must have meant crank hp. And yeah, I got the car for a ridiculous steal, but that was because she needed a fair amount of work done, so I've been going through her and fixing and replacing all sorts of stuff. Shocks are one of the last on my list, but they're next, thanks for the input.
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 07:05 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Also does anyone know if there is any benefit of putting an ls6 manifold/TB on an LS1? I've read that 01 and after had the Z manifold from the factory
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 07:12 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

You want essentially 470 crank HP (100+ over stock), but no headers, no cam, no motor work. Also no gears... guess forced induction is in your future.
Can't imagine a TB or manifold will do much without other upgrades.
Otherwise I'd recommend LS6 heads and a cam. Also, gears with an auto would be a great option.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Go to jcwhitney.com. Then call your insurance company and tell them about your IMPROVEMENTS. They will be impressed!
Actually hadn't been to their site looking at parts yet, so thanks for the suggestion! I can't tell if the insurance thing was sarcasm or not though
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
You want essentially 470 crank HP (100+ over stock), but no headers, no cam, no motor work. Also no gears... guess forced induction is in your future.
Can't imagine a TB or manifold will do much without other upgrades.
Otherwise I'd recommend LS6 heads and a cam. Also, gears with an auto would be a great option.
yeah I'm getting that now, lets just say as much as i can get without shooting for that specific number. And i do want to add headers, just looking at shorties, maybe long tubes if i can feel somewhat confident about being able to pass smog. And I'm hearing things about stuff like catch cans and all sorts of other stuff adding 5hp here and 10 there, so hoping that i can tack on all sorts of little stuff to end up making a pretty decent difference.
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 07:40 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

http://www.eastcoastvette.com/p-389-...9-2000-c5.aspx

performance packages like this are what give me hope to build some decent power out of her.
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GabeNation
Also does anyone know if there is any benefit of putting an ls6 manifold/TB on an LS1? I've read that 01 and after had the Z manifold from the factory
-Gabe
I do not think this is true.

Right now the best manifold for the money is a dorman ls2 it is basically a mini fast at a fraction of the price and makes more power than the ls6
Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

http://www.eastcoastvette.com/p-389-...9-2000-c5.aspx

performance packages like this are what give me hope to build some decent power out of her.
-Gabe
I'm no expert yet, but I'm not exactly confident that kit will get you the 60 hp it claims. Even if thats crank hp. MAYBE 20 or 25 at the wheels with a tune at sea level.

I'm looking for that magical 400 rwhp number too, its most likely going to require heads and a cam (for reference, I also plan on using the BB shorties because NJ, all the research I've done indicates they're the best shorties and worth about 10 rwhp).
Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I do not think this is true.

Right now the best manifold for the money is a dorman ls2 it is basically a mini fast at a fraction of the price and makes more power than the ls6
Yeah idk, I read somewhere that the source of the power boost in 01 was the use of some z parts. And I thought manifold was one. I'll check out the ls2. Thanks!
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuevo
I'm no expert yet, but I'm not exactly confident that kit will get you the 60 hp it claims. Even if thats crank hp. MAYBE 20 or 25 at the wheels with a tune at sea level.

I'm looking for that magical 400 rwhp number too, its most likely going to require heads and a cam (for reference, I also plan on using the BB shorties because NJ, all the research I've done indicates they're the best shorties and worth about 10 rwhp).
Yeah I think it's a stretch too, I guess that's why they say UP TO... but that coupled with a ported/polished bigger tb and such would probably add a good chunk. And I've read the same about the b&b's. But can't figure out how the hell they cost as much as long tubes (1k new) when the bbk only runs 350-450.
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM
acuevo
Racer

Yeah I think it's a stretch too, I guess that's why they say UP TO... but that coupled with a ported/polished bigger tb and such would probably add a good chunk. And I've read the same about the b&b's. But can't figure out how the hell they cost as much as long tubes (1k new) when the bbk only runs 350-450.
-Gabe
Cause the billy boats will actually make a little power and the BBKs won't lol.

I really don't know but I do know I'd rather pay 1k for shorties than 10k for moving my O2 sensors in Jersey. It sucks but I just can't take the chance.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuevo
Cause the billy boats will actually make a little power and the BBKs won't lol.

I really don't know but I do know I'd rather pay 1k for shorties than 10k for moving my O2 sensors in Jersey. It sucks but I just can't take the chance.
haha valid, i feel the same way, and while i know theres proof of them adding some power, i haven't found anything saying the bbks won't do the same.
-Gabe
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Since you live in Ca, as I do, your options on exhaust are limited. Shorties will add HP 5-10 max. Another option that has been done here is installing C6 Z06 manifolds,cats, and mid-pipe. That's the route i went. About as close to performance you could get to headers and still drive through a smog station. As for the Intake manifold you already have an LS6 manifold on your car, changing to something else really won't add much at stock engine levels. Cam and heads would be the best way to go to add HP and build off of that. Then the bigger intake manifold and TB would be needed. Of course a tune would help add even to a stock engine.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM
acuevo
Racer

haha valid, i feel the same way, and while i know theres proof of them adding some power, i haven't found anything saying the bbks won't do the same.
-Gabe
Maybe you can get us some solid real world test results! For science!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:39 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

sometimes tweaking a car with a tuner will get you satisfactory results without a bunch of mods.

I did tweak my 99 with a diablo tuner, firmer shifts and better acceleration. All depends how far you want to go.

good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Please give me the business on ls1 bolt ons :)

Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but not new to Corvettes, having had an '03 back in '04, but this is my first time being dissatisfied with the power coming out of one. I just picked my girl up a couple weeks ago, and while it was love at first sight, my additional years of time spent with higher powered cars is leaving me with a bit of a yearning. Can anyone school me on what the cool kids are doing bolt on wise to their Vetts? Mine is an 01 A4 Coupe with 3.15's. Already has a Volant twin cone intake, upgraded duct (brand?), coupler, magnaflow x-pipe, and Corsa Sport model Ti exhaust.

So the basics are done, I'm just curious what else to do without cracking into the block, I've read mixed reports on the possibility of getting close to 400 rwhp without a cam, so if not that high, as high as I can without. Ive been confused as all hell by the variety of intake manifolds and throttle body options out there, and am further limited by living in CA, so I'm looking at shorties, and am stumped why the B&B's are over twice as much as the BBK's. I'm planning on opening up the plastic near the fog lights to let as cold of air into the intake as possible and negate the benefits of other higher end intakes.

The shocks are crapped out on it, as its pretty floaty and the front end pulls super high on WOT, so I'm thinking about adding C6Z shocks, if anyone knows the cheapest place to grab those I'm all ears.

Basically I'm thinking about headers, maybe high flows if i can BS my way past smog, screwing with intake manifolds and TB's, and maybe upgrading plug wires and fuel delivery if beneficial. And am looking for the best suggestions. Also whatever other bolt ons that help build power that i may be missing. This is my daily driver and I've got a decent commute, so i don't want to mess with shorter gears. Thanks for your time everyone!
-Gabe
since we both are in California, I'm in the same boat as you with the headers. However, I decided to still go full long tube headers as long as they have the air pump connection.

We have to get O2 sensors extension and then a tune. Since we smog in California every two years for vehicles our age, we can either revert back to stock when the time to smog or just get to know a shop that you know you're"very comfortable" with. A friendly shop.

Before you do any engine mods, it's wise to start with the brakes and suspension. That's my rule.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Actually hadn't been to their site looking at parts yet, so thanks for the suggestion! I can't tell if the insurance thing was sarcasm or not though
-Gabe

Welcome to the forum, lots of info here........some good, some well......not so good!

You have the right attitude

Good luck with your car and goals....SC is easiest way but not too cheap
Old 05-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Two options that I see beings your in Ca. is either to spray or forced induction, along with a good tune.
You could also thumb your nose at the smog police and change things out every two yrs, or move (if that's an option for you).

Quick Reply: Please give me the business on ls1 bolt ons :)