Sponsored by:

Need advice or help with a rattle sound, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Need advice or help with a rattle sound, please

I have owned my 2017 GS CE for a month now. I was hoping it would go away but I have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from just behind the passenger side door. Maybe that little speaker on the door panel. I drove around all day sunday with my son in the back and in the front seat touching items to see if the vibration/rattle would stop. Unfortunately we cannot find it. I had my car Xpel wrapped and during the process MacMulkin took the panels off, I am just wondering if they didn't get put on correctly. I live in Florida so I can't bring it back to them to take a look at it. Would this be a warranty item or am I stuck with this rattle?

Thank you
Old 05-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Good luck. I have a 2016 with a rattle/squeak in the drivers side door that's driving me nuts. It's been in 3 times. Last week they had it for 5 days trying to find the source. They stripped the whole door down and told me it was fixed. Picked it up and not even a mile down the road I hit a bump and there was the squeak. I'm deciding whether I can live with it or sell the car it's that bad. I don't want them to keep taking the door apart so it's not going back in. I hope you have better luck.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 AM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

Thank you, at least it seems that they will work on it if they let you bring it in a few times. Yeah if this gets worse then I may need to look at getting another car.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Have you checked to see if it's the seat belt buckle hitting the inside trim panel? You might try buckling the passenger seat belt and seeing if the noise is still there.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM
alexsoo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default seat belt buckle

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Have you checked to see if it's the seat belt buckle hitting the inside trim panel? You might try buckling the passenger seat belt and seeing if the noise is still there.
Yup that was what my sound came from. It was the seat belt buckle. I belt it or put it on the loop now.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I have the same exact noise and it doesn't matter if the belt is buckled or not. My wife noticed it when she was sitting in the car while I was driving. When I'm by myself I don't notice it because I drive in sport mode and I can't hear it.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...rint-1305.html
The following users liked this post:
EmbraceNext (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Skippydoo
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by EmbraceNext
I have owned my 2017 GS CE for a month now. I was hoping it would go away but I have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from just behind the passenger side door. Maybe that little speaker on the door panel. I drove around all day sunday with my son in the back and in the front seat touching items to see if the vibration/rattle would stop. Unfortunately we cannot find it. I had my car Xpel wrapped and during the process MacMulkin took the panels off, I am just wondering if they didn't get put on correctly. I live in Florida so I can't bring it back to them to take a look at it. Would this be a warranty item or am I stuck with this rattle?

Thank you
i may have what might be the same rattle on my 17 Z51. I plan on having my local dealer look at it when I bring it in for my first oil change. Mine is very loud and only rattles on high revs and not cruising. Although if I stay in a lower gear it's constant. It sounds like it's coming from the rear qtr somewhere.

Last edited by Skippydoo; 05-24-2017 at 12:49 PM.
EmbraceNext (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

There was another recent post about this same topic. Couple of the guys found there seat belt retractor loose.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 PM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

For the seatbelt, it happens when my son is in the car with his seatbelt on. I think it is that speaker issue. It really happens on a mildly rough road when going 51 mph (i have an A8) at roughly 1400 RPM when the exhaust is a bit bassy. I have the exhaust set to track, I will try touring and see. Also play with the radio because I listen to a lot of podcasts and some people have deep voices and that seems to bring it out as well. Thanks for the help! If there is anything else to look at or you can link that other post please do.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

The buckle rattling against the seat frame was a problem with my 2015 and I heard it in the first 10 min. of driving my 2017 GS. The cure was to afix a furniture pad similar to these on the frame. No more rattle. If you don't like the brown color, tint them with a black marker before installing, but when the seat belt buckle is up it covers the pad.

You'd think GM would've addressed this issue by now since many complain about it, but I guess a cheap pad would raise a red flag with the bean counters. OTOH, how much does it cost them after the sale, as not everyone reads CF or has a desire to troubleshoot problems.

Last edited by iclick; 05-24-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Pliskin01
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Try inserting a folded business card into the trim above the door handle/speaker. For some reason, this worked for me for a while until the sound came back. Might help diagnose the location. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

I had a little rattle and had our son lay in the back while I drove it a bit so he could help isolate it. Used a stethoscope which helped. It turned out to be a simple fix by snapping a panel clip in place over the wheel well. Hope that helps?

On another note; took my wife's Denali in for an oil change. Told the service director that her car had also developed a whine, but that I discovered I only hear it when she's in the vehicle. I'm still recovering.
EmbraceNext (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Nordic_Samurai
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Goodness, it can be so many things. I have fought a long hard battle trying to eliminate squeaks. Start with buckling the passenger seat, as that produces some rattles/squeaks. Next, check the trim piece at the top of the rear windshield. Its hard plastic that sometimes rattles against the glass. It comes off easily and you can put some foam tape on it.

Next, check the trunk section on the passenger side. For a long time there was a squeak coming from the area where the rear shade is secured. You might need to place something between the trim, or remove the trim and soundproof there.

If it is your passenger door, you can check how I fixed it in this post (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-fixed-it.html). I also discovered an issue with rattle occurring where the seatbelt is secured to the pillar, which is hidden behind the trim piece.

Dynamat and Second Skin have become a lifesaver for me.
EmbraceNext (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:27 PM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

Oh wow, thank you so much for the responses. A lot of great ideas and things to look for.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I think I have the same little noise as well on my driver's side door. I noticed when I drive and lean my left elbow on the door high up I get a rattle. It's very faint but it disappears when I move my elbow down to the arm rest. Weird huh?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

My passenger side belt was rattling also. And my buddies. So annoying. But manageable. I turn the radio up lol. Need to find fulltime passenger!

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice or help with a rattle sound, please

Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Maybe I've missed something here but why can't you take it to your nearest dealer?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by alexsoo
Yup that was what my sound came from. It was the seat belt buckle. I belt it or put it on the loop now.
Took me a month to find that was where the rattle was coming from in my September 2013 built C7. As soon as my new Grand Sport was home installed the solution used on my 2014. A seat belt pad positioned to prevent the belt buckle from hitting the plastic seat back!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:23 AM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

Today I am going to drive to work with the belt fastened to make sure it isn't the belt and will update the situation a little later.

Quick Reply: Need advice or help with a rattle sound, please