C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 Base Coupe - Finding Cruise Vacuum Hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 96 Base Coupe - Finding Cruise Vacuum Hose

I needed to clean my battery terminals and in the process pulled the vacuum hoses off the cruise control unit to move them out of the way. After reconnecting, I realized the other end of the hose that goes to the brake pedal switch had pulled off. It's not in good shape and should be changed anyway, but with all the harnesses and pipes routed through there, I can't see where it connects - I assume somewhere under and behind the brake booster.

Before I start removing stuff to look for it, can you give me a hint where to look?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:10 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Those vacuum lines go to the back (toward the firewall) of a switch on the brake pedal. Its purpose is to disengage the cruise control when you step on the brakes.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Pass through grommet in this vicinity - follow the hose

Name:  CRUISE PASS THROUGH.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  36.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
five7kid (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 AM
five7kid
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Pass through grommet in this vicinity - follow the hose

Attachment 48097164
That helps. Thanks.

Would be nice is if was more specific, though.

Last edited by five7kid; 05-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 AM
five7kid
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Those vacuum lines go to the back (toward the firewall) of a switch on the brake pedal. Its purpose is to disengage the cruise control when you step on the brakes.
Yes, I knew that (one line, anyway - there are only two lines on the cruise unit, and the vacuum supply line to the reservoir I had already located when I first got the car because it wasn't connected). With the switch line disconnected and open as it is now, the cruise control doesn't work.

I just didn't know where to look for the line to the switch in the engine compartment where it passes through the firewall so I can get the hose reconnected. It appears to go to the right of the power brake booster, but I can't see any hose nipple sticking out in that area without moving other stuff out of the way - I wanted to get an idea what area to look in so I can move stuff out of the way get a better look for it (a lot of stuff is packed in that general area).
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Changing oil today so I looked in there on my 96 LT4. The hose kind of disappears under the brake booster just a little to the left on mine. But with the battery in there I just couldn't see all the way to the firewall. Looking down past the valve cover on the engine side of the booster, I could see pretty deep, but I couldn't see that hose at all. Sorry, no help here. Looks like the battery is going to have to be out of the way to see up under there. That particular hose on mine feels dry and brittle so I'll probably have to find that pass-through location soon too.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:33 PM
five7kid
Racer

Originally Posted by Klondike
Changing oil today so I looked in there on my 96 LT4. The hose kind of disappears under the brake booster just a little to the left on mine. But with the battery in there I just couldn't see all the way to the firewall. Looking down past the valve cover on the engine side of the booster, I could see pretty deep, but I couldn't see that hose at all. Sorry, no help here. Looks like the battery is going to have to be out of the way to see up under there. That particular hose on mine feels dry and brittle so I'll probably have to find that pass-through location soon too.
Interesting. On mine the hose went across the front of the booster then down between the engine and booster (and big harness bundles, and A.I.R. piping, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if it had been replaced, though. It is in bad shape, but was at least working until I popped it off without knowing.

Such a little thing. But I like my cruise control...
Old 06-01-2017, 03:54 PM
five7kid
Racer

Finally figured it out last night. I pulled out the PCM and the ASR in order to see better and to be able to get my arm through and hand in there. I finally found about a 1/4" piece of unconnected hose sticking through the firewall - I expected a vacuum nipple.

Turns out the hose is supposed to be one piece from the brake valve to the cruise unit. It apparently isn't the original hose. There was about a 12" section from the unit, with a splice/reducer there, and a degraded piece of hose going through the firewall to the brake valve. The hose hadn't disconnected like I thought, it BROKE! It was deteriorated so badly that the act of disconnecting the other end broke it off.

There was plenty of "good" hose left inside the car, extra, even, so I pushed about 3" through the firewall and cut off the deteriorated piece (only required removing about 1/4"). I just plugged the existing splice/reducer into it (well, I say "just", but couldn't get both hands in there, so had to hold the piece with the splicer with a long pair of needle-nose pliars - took several tries), routing it directly under the brake booster this time, rather than routing it close to the engine as was done before. Works great again.

At least I didn't have to pull the battery or booster...

I don't know how long the piece of hose (which looks like chain-store bulk hose) will last, but I'm guessing at least several years.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Good info to know. I'll ad that to my list of 'to do's someday'! Glad it wasn't too hard to get to. Thanks for the update.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:47 PM
scuba717
Instructor

When I bought my 94, the seller said the cruise didn't work! But he had replaced the battery. Sure enough, when the new battery went in, the vacuum line came off and was squished under the battery. Wiggled it out and the cruise works. Love a cheap easy fix!

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Base Coupe - Finding Cruise Vacuum Hose

Quick Reply: 96 Base Coupe - Finding Cruise Vacuum Hose