C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettin the itch for a C6 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:26 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Gettin the itch for a C6 Vert

Have had my 08 coupe for 4 years and love it, so does wife

I keep getting the itch to upgrade to a 12/13 GS and want to stick with same color, CRM, as well as interested in a Vert

For those that have owned both a C6 Vert & Coupe what are pros and cons

Car is not a DD and we do take trips in it, some day trips up Moonshiner 28 to Highlands and those roads and others are long weekend trips up to a week long excursion this time last year to Nashville, Bowling Green, Bourbon Trail, Churchill Downs and back home. Car was great on the trip and had "just enough" room for Wife's luggage . However this week long trip is more the exception than the rule
Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The Vert's I've driven have a bit more cabin noise with the top up and when it's down, breezy. If I want breezy, I'll ride my Goldwing.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I only had verts. My other DD are not. Less space in the trunk and as mentioned slightly more noise in the cabin. But you can't beat the looks when the top is down. Living down south I drive with the top down more frequently. I only buy verts but this is what I like. Test drive them to see if you like it. Good luck
Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had both a coupe and now a vert.The cabin noise isn't much more than the coupe and jumping in the car and putting the top down on warm summers night is great! I agree about the look with the top down and top up for that matter.
My wife and I take trips all the time and packing the trunk is an art. We took a trip to Florida last year for a week and had everything we needed and then some. Beach chairs, umbrellas, fishing gear, clothes, towels etc etc. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can get in the trunk.
When it comes to a Vette I think it'll always be a convertible.
The following users liked this post:
rsparks64 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Have had my 08 coupe for 4 years and love it, so does wife

I keep getting the itch to upgrade to a 12/13 GS and want to stick with same color, CRM, as well as interested in a Vert

For those that have owned both a C6 Vert & Coupe what are pros and cons

Car is not a DD and we do take trips in it, some day trips up Moonshiner 28 to Highlands and those roads and others are long weekend trips up to a week long excursion this time last year to Nashville, Bowling Green, Bourbon Trail, Churchill Downs and back home. Car was great on the trip and had "just enough" room for Wife's luggage . However this week long trip is more the exception than the rule
My wife an I have a 2007 A6 3LT Convertible with the Z51 package. We haven't had a C6 coupe before but love the Convertible with a few exceptions. The trunk space or cargo volume is a downer, about 1/4 of the coupe top down and slightly less than 1/2 with the top up. Since we love driving this car so much we are planning some lengthy road trips with it and luggage is going to be a challenge.

The road noise is also a lot more than any car we have had in the past and top down wind noise and wind currents were unpleasant but improved significantly after I installed a Wind Restrictor.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

love my vert. if wind gets to you there are rear wind restrictors and even front ones that attach to the top of the windshield to decrease the wind with the top down.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I've had both and prefer the vert. There is more cargo room in the coupe, and maybe a bit more interior noise in the vert. I personally think the vert looks better, top up or down.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by mrk1957
I've had both a coupe and now a vert.The cabin noise isn't much more than the coupe and jumping in the car and putting the top down on warm summers night is great! I agree about the look with the top down and top up for that matter.
My wife and I take trips all the time and packing the trunk is an art. We took a trip to Florida last year for a week and had everything we needed and then some. Beach chairs, umbrellas, fishing gear, clothes, towels etc etc. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can get in the trunk.
When it comes to a Vette I think it'll always be a convertible.
I own a coupe, and have seen the trunk of many C6 vert's, as I work at a golf course. You can barely get two golf bags in there, and you are telling us you packed "Beach chairs, umbrellas, fishing gear, clothes, towels etc etc.". The "etc, etc", must have been toothpaste and a toothbrush.

I would like to have a vert, and may in the future. I would sure like to hear from anyone else who actually vacationed for a week with their wife in the 'vert, and did not buy a lot of what they needed while they were on vacation...
Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I would sure like to hear from anyone else who actually vacationed for a week with their wife in the 'vert, and did not buy a lot of what they needed while they were on vacation...
I would like to have that conversation with someone too. I recently watched a YouTube video documentary that someone made of the 2014 Corvette Caravan to the Corvette museum in Bowlng Green Kentucky.

The Pacific Northwest group left from the Seattle area and some of the group made it a 3 week 20 state road trip in their Corvette convertible. My wife and I would really like to participate in the next one held in 2019 but would like to know how the previous participants managed short of buying what you need as you go.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Norskie
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wife and I took a week long trip with our 06 3lt vert with no luggage room problems. Had lots of room. Didn't need to buy any clothes on the trip. However, we used to take long trips on our motorcycles so we know how to pack. You just gotta leave the kitchen sink at home.
The following users liked this post:
Icecap (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I own a coupe, and have seen the trunk of many C6 vert's, as I work at a golf course. You can barely get two golf bags in there, and you are telling us you packed "Beach chairs, umbrellas, fishing gear, clothes, towels etc etc.". The "etc, etc", must have been toothpaste and a toothbrush.

I would like to have a vert, and may in the future. I would sure like to hear from anyone else who actually vacationed for a week with their wife in the 'vert, and did not buy a lot of what they needed while they were on vacation...
The only thing we bought was a styrofoam cooler, that's it. If you know how to pack you can do it and not take a lot of crap you don't need. How many clothes do you really need st the beach? Oh, some of the etc etc would be a large bottle of coconut rum, pina colada mix and a blender.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Back in September of '15 my wife and I along with friends in their C5 Vert went out west to Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Zion down through Vegas to California then headed back east following RT 66. 18 days in ouor 2010 Vert. Yes you have to be a bit creative with the packing and did some laundry at a couple of hotels but it was top down all the way, no rain.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I had a c4 vert. Absolutely hated it. Noisy and no room (not to mention it was a 1990). Have not been in a C6 vert. Just my opinion, but I would not have one. Love the targa top. I miss it with my Z.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:46 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19
Default Yes... a Vert can be a tad loud and windy...

Originally Posted by pagosawingnut
The Vert's I've driven have a bit more cabin noise with the top up and when it's down, breezy.
After I installed the WindRestrictor... all is good. Have done a few long weekend trips with top down and one really long 10-day RT trip from WA to SoCal... top up and top down and it was a blast.

My poor motorcycle sits in the garage more days than normal since I got the Vert... yes it's still fun to ride, but there's quite a difference between having to spend 20+ min "gearing up" to ride (leathers, boots, helmet, etc.) vs. just hopping into the Vert, putting the top down and heading out in minutes... in shorts and flip-flops! ;-)

When my week goes to _____, this always puts a smile on my face!

Last edited by OlyC6; 05-25-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife and I just finished a 9 day 3200 mile trip from Maine to Bowling Green for the museum and factory tour, then to north west Florida to visit family, then home to Maine. We had an '05 Coupe, but I've had an itch for a vert and an auto for a while. We like to travel and I got stuck in a bad traffic jam in CT last year that was a nightmare with an M6. I told myself if I ever got another Vette it would be an auto.

A week before we left for FL, we traded our '05 Coupe for an '11 Grand Sport 3LT vert with NAV, mag ride, A6 and 15K miles. Our coupe was mag red, which we loved, and the GS is CRM, almost the same color. I got a great deal even got an extended warranty out of it.

First, maybe because of the new GY Eagle F1 Supercar tires on the GS, the cabin noise with the top up was way less than in the coupe. IDK why, but it was. Of the 5 travel days, we ran with the top down 3 of the days. We made day trips from Fort Walton Beach to both Pensacola and Panama City Beach, always with the top down. The breeze in the cabin with the top down and windows up is less than the coupe with the top off. Same with top down noise. It's a quieter ride than the Coupe with the top off.

When the sun is out, you must have the breeze in the cabin or you're going to cook. I was going to put in a wind restrictor, but the truth is the cabin breeze isn't bad up to about 80 MPH so long as the windows are up. With the sun out, we would roll the windows down about 60 MPH to get more air in the cabin. I hit 90 one time passing a row of cars; the breeze in the cabin picked up but it didn't cause any problems with my ball cap.

We absolutely love top down cruising. I don't believe I would own another vette unless it was a vert.

Here's an interesting observation on cabin noise with top up or down: I have the Auto Volume feature turned on on the Nav/radio as I did with my '05. With the '05, it did not increase volume enough as speed picked up. You had to crank up the volume more to hear the radio at interstate speeds. With the GS, Auto Volume increases volume too much as speed picks up. You have to actually turn the radio down at interstate speeds.

We were a little cramped for storage space at first. My wife's suitcase took up 2/3 of the space in the trunk. We managed by packing small stuff into all the nooks and crannies around the luggage and using the small storage space behind the seats.

Here's the GS on the beach in Panama City Beach, FL.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM
jkirk1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A coupe was never even and option for me. Nothing like putting the top down and heading out on a trip. Some wise packing and you will have no problem taking everything you need for a week long adventure.

Carry on size luggage and duffle bags fit nicely in the trunk.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jkirk1; 05-25-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I took a 9 day road trip this past Christmas in my 08 vert from Texas to Cali and back, with enough clothes packed for at least two weeks (both casual and dress clothes), a backpack full of car cleaning supplies, a small cooler, and all of the various odds and ends the typical 50+ year-old requires (medications, toothbrush, etc.), and never had any issues with room. This was with two large subwoofer boxes in my trunk to boot.

Get notified of new replies

To Gettin the itch for a C6 Vert

Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Convertibles for me

From this 2013:

To this 2012:

To this 2014:

Back to a 2013:
Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 AM
robertmc1958@gmail.c
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 2 verts, a 2007 and a 2011, his and hers, would not own a coupe. Have taken many trips from Virginia to Florida and enjoyed the trips. Have no problem with road noise with top up or down, top up it's pretty quiet. You can't beat mornings and nights with the top down in Florida, but midday can get hot.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:42 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I have owned a GS Coupe, a base coupe and two base convertibles. I currently own a base vert. I thought the noise in the cabin was less with the verts (top up) because there was no echo-chamber-cargo-area but I am probably wrong.

Cargo space is smaller with a vert for sure. Being able to take the top down is awesome.

One issue that I have harped on before is the cost of tires for the GS. Anyone who plans to put miles on their GS should consider this.

A downside to a vert is also security in a hotel parking lot if you travel. Some chucklehead may want to cut the roof. But you can't really worry too much about that as theft isn't limited to verts.

My current Vette is an 08 base vert. It's a non Z51 so it's a bit easier on the toush but it wallowed in the turns so I put Z51 sway bars on it and it's 100% better and I still get a decent ride. Yeah, I am old.

I think you will be happy with whatever Vette you buy. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Gettin the itch for a C6 Vert