C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 Starting problems

Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 PM
unclet1
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1995 Starting problems

Car started great when I left for work this morning. Meet the wife for a little breakfast. When I went to leave the car was hard to start. It turned over fast but wouldn't start. Kept fooling with it a few minutes and it started. Once started it runs great. Did the same thing when leaving work and still not starting like it should. Any idea where to start? Seems to be a fuel issue?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 PM
C 7
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Is the opti original? How many miles?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 AM
unclet1
Instructor

Originally Posted by C 7
Is the opti original? How many miles?
Not sure about the opti. Car has 112K. Car will eventually start and run great.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:26 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Check fuel pressure and also see how long it holds fuel pressure after you turn it off.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:01 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

First check just to make sure there is no fuel in the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator. If wet, that's your problem.

Then if you can (and better at home) determine if there is any spark. If not, the ICM might be temperature sensitive and acting up when hot. If you end up at the ICM, hard to test for this symptom and replacement is best way to make sure. Easy to replace and would not rip the opti out at this time and jump the gun.

Last edited by pcolt94; 05-26-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:30 PM
unclet1
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcolt94
First check just to make sure there is no fuel in the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator. If wet, that's your problem.

Then if you can (and better at home) determine if there is any spark. If not, the ICM might be temperature sensitive and acting up when hot. If you end up at the ICM, hard to test for this symptom and replacement is best way to make sure. Easy to replace and would not rip the opti out at this time and jump the gun.
It must be getting spark at some point because it will crank if you turn it over long enough. And runs great when it cranks.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:37 PM
unclet1
Instructor

Just checked ,no fuel in vacuum hose. I'll have to try to round up a fuel pressure gauge. It starts after about a dozen revolutions but used to only take about one.

Last edited by unclet1; 05-26-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:26 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by unclet1
Just checked ,no fuel in vacuum hose. I'll have to try to round up a fuel pressure gauge. It starts after about a dozen revolutions but used to only take about one.
Checking fuel pressure is a good step.

Just as a possible guess, if the check valve in the fuel pump went bad it could cause this symptom.

If the 2 second prime does not hold the fuel pressure, then when you turn it over and oil pressure is built up, it will close the switch for the fuel pump and the pump will come on. Then with fuel pressure the engine will start.

If the fuel pressure does not hold during the 2 second prime for a normal period of time, this could be a problem.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 PM
unclet1
Instructor

Checking fuel pressure is a good step.

Just as a possible guess, if the check valve in the fuel pump went bad it could cause this symptom.

If the 2 second prime does not hold the fuel pressure, then when you turn it over and oil pressure is built up, it will close the switch for the fuel pump and the pump will come on. Then with fuel pressure the engine will start.

If the fuel pressure does not hold during the 2 second prime for a normal period of time, this could be a problem.
I was on the way to my brother-in-laws shop to have him check it out and it let me down. Had to have it towed to his shop. I guess he'll find the problem. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Just got back from B-I-L's shop. Looking more and more like the Opti. Has great fuel pressure, he had a new ICM and coil. By the time the tow truck got it there it wouldn't even crank. He'll start disassembly Monday.

Last edited by unclet1; 05-27-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: update

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Starting problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Starting problems