C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just need some electrical advise (ignition related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Just need some electrical advise (ignition related)

to sum up the problem I have no power to the right side of my fuse box in my '74, I know, there are many threads on this and I have read them and followed there advise and still have no power. I think I have an issue with my ignition switch activator rod or the cam that moves it and the key cylinder?
I have a new ignition harness in the car (with interlock bypassed) and have power at the drivers side fender well post, power to the power window fuse,power to the alternator, power to the left side of the fuse box, power to the headlights/tail lights, power to the ignition switch blocks (2 plugs at the bottom of the column). when I turn the key it's rather sloppy and has little to no return (spring back) from the start position. it does move into all positions (acc-off-run-start). I never messed with the steering column but after reading threads and finding power everywhere else I think thats where my problem is?
i just wanted to see if you guys agree'd and I am correct in assuming that with the key in the "run/on" position I should have power to the right side of the fuse box. can I fix this actuator rod & gear by just dropping the steering column down from the dash or do I need to remove it completely?
and if any of you have done this what would you suggest I purchase that I may not be thinking about besides a new key tumbler?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Are both of your fusible links good at the starter? This is a 1980 power distribution, might help.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cooter Tech; 05-25-2017 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

yes all my fusible links are intact, new and not melted. I am pretty sure the culprit is the linkage between the key and the ignition switch, I just wanted someone to verify that by what I described.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:47 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

the start switch works on a slide motion, maybe your not adjusted correctly on the switch ?
it is adjustable on the steering column.
you must probe the fuse-able link, you cannot tell by just looking always.

Last edited by 69Vett; 05-26-2017 at 05:48 PM.
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Originally Posted by 69Vett
the start switch works on a slide motion, maybe your not adjusted correctly on the switch ?
it is adjustable on the steering column.
you must probe the fuse-able link, you cannot tell by just looking always.

I am going to drop the column this weekend and check the set up, per the fusible links, if one of them were blown wouldn't I have no power at one or all of the points I stated I had power? I have power to both hot wires on the ignition block at the base of the steering column but nothing after the column with the key "on". that tells me that the linkage between the key and the base of the column are not working. If a link was shot I would think I'd have no power to either the front inner fender power post, the left side of the fuse box, the power windows or the base of the steering column?
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

I dropped the column and found when I turned the key I could see the
selector gear start to move the actuator rack then skip on the top of the Switch Actuator Rack? I can pull or push on the rod with needle nose pliers, going to the ignition switch on the base of the column so I decided I will pull the column out completely and find out what is causing the rod to bind or not move or if it's a bad selector gear/tooth or a bad or dirty ignition switch at the base or what ever?

Get notified of new replies

To Just need some electrical advise (ignition related)

Quick Reply: Just need some electrical advise (ignition related)