C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New 2017 Z06 Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:14 AM
taylosw
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New 2017 Z06 Owner.

So, I am in the process of finalizing my purchase for my 2017 2LT Z06 A8 (No Z07 Package) Watkins Glen Gray Metallic Corvette. It had ONLY 800 Miles and I purchased it for $79k with No tax and I think I got a good deal; even if I didn't...I think it's completely worth it.

The reason I am posting is because I am a very non-experienced driver of any type of fast car and I am looking for tips on understanding the power of this car to be as safe as possible for the first 6 months or more in order for me to be completely comfortable with the car before I "unleash" the full power. I have already considered doing the Ron Fellows class as soon as possible; however I'll be getting the car before I will be able to do the class.

So I thank you in advance, in any tips that you are willing to provide here or you may DM me if you feel it's necessary. I am open to everything you can teach me as part of me is scared to be operating such a powerful machine with limited experience. (Most I've driven is a Camaro SS (460HP)

The first time I will be driving it I will be picking it up from the owner who is 416 miles away with my GF. I plan on driving on it in Manual(Paddle Shift) Mode with Touring on as that will provide me with the most traction so I am able to be as safe as possible.

Thank you once again. I truly appreciate it. <3 I am looking forward to being a part of this amazing wonderful Corvette community that has taught me so much already.

Last edited by taylosw; 05-26-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 AM
VegasC7Z06
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently took delivery of a new Z06 that is a M7. The car has a ton of power but it's fairly tame until you get into the higher rpm range (2500+). Keep a very light foot, don't drive in rain if you can help it, and don't go faster than you would in a Kia and you'll be fine.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:36 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Simple answer. Leave all the nannies hooked up, EASE or ROLL into the throttle ( IE, NEVER slam the throttle to the floor especially in traffic) and if the road is wet or cold ( below 50 to 60 degrees), just drive and cruise and no screwing around.

GRADUALLY over time, you'll learn to increase the fun factor by getting on it some more without scaring yourself and everyone around you. If you had bought a Stingray/GS, you could pretty much romp on it in most cases without nearly as much caution ( still would have to respect wet/cold roads). Not so with the almost 200 more HP/TQ of the Z06. That said, the extra power of the Z06 takes one from the very fast Stingray/GS level up to the explosively fast level. Used carefully, it can be a real blast in a safe ear to ear Sh-- eating grin manner. Enjoy !!!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:47 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Congrats, these are wonderful machines with multiple personalities. Set to touring mode, it sounds and behaves like a very nice cruiser, however it stops on a dime and handles extremely well. I climbed out of my Cadillac ATS Performance car and have only racked up 110 miles, but the capabilities of these cars are astonishing in comparison. Curving expressway off ramps that the ATS could handle at 70 mph, but taken in the Z06 it feels like you are in slow motion at 70 mph the cars cornering capabilities are so high. Switch to Sport and blip the throttle hard and you it sounds like you've unleased a full on race car, very cool. I call my Z06 the "red Head" and my Son's wife went for a short ride with me and I jumped on it for a few seconds. This car will push you back and leap forward with a like you've unleashed a beast. Brittney turned to me immediately following and said "the Red Head has quite a temper", yes they do.........

Last edited by mjdart; 05-26-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:57 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

The Z06 is the best high performance production corvette to-date. It can bite the novice driver with its quick response and stupendous acceleration. The stock Michelin tires are the best runflat I have ever driven. If the temperature is 40F or less, beware that the tires will break loose easily, I know this from a personal experience and an unintended donut is hair raising. If you can wrangle it see if you can get the Ron Fellows program discount for a new Z06, it is well worth the money and fun as well. They will show you how well the car performs and handles and it is a lot of fun as well. Enjoy your new corvette and WGG is a great color. If you are in LV Ron Fellow is just a stone's throw away! This is the best corvette offered to-date for performance.

Last edited by Kyflyer; 05-26-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

Every comment has hit the nail on the head. Any car with this horsepower you learn to ease into the throttle. Any punching of the gas can break the tires loose, especially the first few miles before they warm up.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

As mentioned above, I think you'll be really impressed with the braking. Wife comments on it everytime she drives the car.

As far as power, I'm at about 1,900 miles, unfortunately since I've gotten my car it's typically been between 40* and 60* which is not good. Any blip of the throttle to 3500 rpm spins the rear tires uncontrollably

I've slightly broken the tires loose merging onto the highway. Very slightly broken, but enough to be like WTF, this car is too powerful.

I've gotten the car successfully to about 5500 rpms and throttle to about 75% without spinning...have to roll in. Can't mash the gas, power hits way too hard early in the rpm band

Just take it easy, enjoy the ride, it's super comfortable
Old 05-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

go to a high performance driving school
Old 05-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

All the posts are good advice. I found that the traction control takes a split second to control wheel spin when you accelerate. I pulled out to pass on a two lane, punched it, and got some fish tail. The power is so awesome. You will get the hang of it. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:36 AM
taylosw
Instructor

Thank you to all the responses; I truly appreciate and will be taking my sweet time to get use to all the amazing features of this car. Still a little worried; but I know with some patience, being smart, and not being "greedy" (for lack of a better term, that I will be able to learn while being safe.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I agree on the High Performance driving school. Ron Fellows in Pahrump is excellent.

One other thing: Make sure your car is straight when you get on it. If you are pulling around another car to pass, especially in lower gears, roll into the throttle when you are going straight, not as you begin to pass. The car can swap ends easily. Starting out in first gear from a stop when you are turning as you start, it's real easy to lose it if you give it too much gas. Learn the car. Walk before you run as they say.

Enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
taylosw (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:23 PM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I agree on the High Performance driving school. Ron Fellows in Pahrump is excellent.

One other thing: Make sure your car is straight when you get on it. If you are pulling around another car to pass, especially in lower gears, roll into the throttle when you are going straight, not as you begin to pass. The car can swap ends easily. Starting out in first gear from a stop when you are turning as you start, it's real easy to lose it if you give it too much gas. Learn the car. Walk before you run as they say.

Enjoy it.
Enjoy the best Chevy has to offer.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes

Enjoy it.
Absolutely 100 percent correct. To the OP, listen to this guy !!!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:56 AM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

FWIW, I believe one of the reasons that GM puts all the restrictions on the throttle when breaking in is to help the new ower begin to learn the car. In first gear without mashing even 1/2 way to the floor, the throttle it is very easy to have the engine RPM climb super fast. Keeping the throttle below 3500 forces the driver to learn to roll into speed. BTW even if you don't exceed 3500 RPM you can still exceed 100 MPH and even with the restrictions the car is faster than most other vehicles.

The Z06 is no joke.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:42 AM
Hawkbarr
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

Great advice by all the owners. I would only add respect the car like a loaded gun, and find a LARGE parking lot where you can learn acceleration, braking, turning and combinations of all 3.
The ZO6 is a beast and addictive fun!
Enjoy!!
The following users liked this post:
taylosw (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Congrats. My car is pretty close to yours (WGG, black interior, 2LZ, A8, PDR/NAV). As everyone above has posted - respect the power and you will be fine. I flew up to NJ to get mine and drove it home to FL. I got to know it real well in those 1100 miles.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Congrats. My car is pretty close to yours (WGG, black interior, 2LZ, A8, PDR/NAV). As everyone above has posted - respect the power and you will be fine. I flew up to NJ to get mine and drove it home to FL. I got to know it real well in those 1100 miles.
HEy!!!! That's awesome! And YES! We pretty much have the SAME exact car?! BEAAUTIFUL!!

Also, how did the Side skirts do for protecting the car from rocks on the way home?!?!

I am sooo excited

Last edited by taylosw; 05-27-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2017 Z06 Owner.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Kinsale
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Comparison

Originally Posted by taylosw
So, I am in the process of finalizing my purchase for my 2017 2LT Z06 A8 (No Z07 Package) Watkins Glen Gray Metallic Corvette. It had ONLY 800 Miles and I purchased it for $79k with No tax and I think I got a good deal; even if I didn't...I think it's completely worth it.

The reason I am posting is because I am a very non-experienced driver of any type of fast car and I am looking for tips on understanding the power of this car to be as safe as possible for the first 6 months or more in order for me to be completely comfortable with the car before I "unleash" the full power. I have already considered doing the Ron Fellows class as soon as possible; however I'll be getting the car before I will be able to do the class.

So I thank you in advance, in any tips that you are willing to provide here or you may DM me if you feel it's necessary. I am open to everything you can teach me as part of me is scared to be operating such a powerful machine with limited experience. (Most I've driven is a Camaro SS (460HP)

The first time I will be driving it I will be picking it up from the owner who is 416 miles away with my GF. I plan on driving on it in Manual(Paddle Shift) Mode with Touring on as that will provide me with the most traction so I am able to be as safe as possible.

Thank you once again. I truly appreciate it. <3 I am looking forward to being a part of this amazing wonderful Corvette community that has taught me so much already.
If it looks like mine it was $75,500 plus TT&L. MSRP was $87,135. It came with the I05 nav (OnStar) so I installed an I06 unit and don't have to rely on OnStar. That was another $965 and I installed it. Congrats on the new ride. I attended the Mercedes Driving Academy, one and two day course and I highly recommend that you attend one. The Z06 is an awesome machine and easy to let it get away from you. The school will instill confidence and let you see the car with and without electronics on. It is a rush to do 160 on the back stretch and then slam on the brakes and do a 270 degree turn while accelerating in the turn. Any one of the schools is well worth the money.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by taylosw
HEy!!!! That's awesome! And YES! We pretty much have the SAME exact car?! BEAAUTIFUL!!

Also, how did the Side skirts do for protecting the car from rocks on the way home?!?!

I am sooo excited
They did their job. No damage. I recently upgraded to the stage 2 skirts.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:32 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kinsale
If it looks like mine it was $75,500 plus TT&L. MSRP was $87,135. It came with the I05 nav (OnStar) so I installed an I06 unit and don't have to rely on OnStar. That was another $965 and I installed it. Congrats on the new ride. I attended the Mercedes Driving Academy, one and two day course and I highly recommend that you attend one. The Z06 is an awesome machine and easy to let it get away from you. The school will instill confidence and let you see the car with and without electronics on. It is a rush to do 160 on the back stretch and then slam on the brakes and do a 270 degree turn while accelerating in the turn. Any one of the schools is well worth the money.
I kind of dig the S1 Sideskirts that everyone seems to hate... here's the one I am getting ! Will definitely be doing the school soon enough!

Don't mind the bow.... the first owner bought it for his wife and she didn't like it; so he sold it to me. I am lucky!
Attached Images  

Last edited by taylosw; 05-28-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: New 2017 Z06 Owner.